Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to read an article on the Globe & Mail site, I got this message:
"A widespread Internet service outage is disrupting many websites including The Globe and Mail. As a result, updates to some stories may be delayed. Thank you for your patience."

I have also noticed sluggish Internet performance all day today. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Super Moderator
57,120 Posts
Yeah, it may be AWS. The only website that I visited today that seemed to be affected was the Toronto Public Library. I didn't notice any other websites affected, including the Globe, which I read daily, and I've been on the web a lot today. Tested my speed and it's fine.

I did see the banner on the Globe website on my browser, but I didn't have any issues. I usually read the Globe via their 2 apps on my iPad.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
AWS is the biggest internet server and web site host service on the internet so it's loss would cause catastrophic failures for many businesses and web sites. Fortunately, it has backups so the loss of one site will cause some issues but not total failure.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was reading earlier today an opinion piece in the Globe in favour of decentralization - “30% of the internet is on AWS servers…and that should be ringing alarm bells for everybody” but it didn’t provide suggested alternatives.

(Check out IPFS.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
AWS is cheaper and more reliable for many companies. Due to various efficiencies, such as the use of dedicated solar energy for server farms, its also better in other ways. 30% isn't a bad number for market share by a large company. Over 50% would be concerning. 90% would be alarming.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
This might explain it. Recently uncovered software flaw ‘most critical vulnerability of the last decade’

In short, an Apache Software vulnerability affects the vast majority of servers connected to the internet and makes almost every major internet connected company susceptible to a complete compromise of their server systems. It is being actively exploited by hackers.

Amit Yoran, CEO of the cybersecurity firm Tenable, called it “the single biggest, most critical vulnerability of the last decade” – and possibly the biggest in the history of modern computing.

The vulnerability was rated 10 on a scale of one to 10 by the Apache Software Foundation, which oversees development of the software. Anyone with the exploit can obtain full access to an unpatched computer that uses the software.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This might explain it. Recently uncovered software flaw ‘most critical vulnerability of the last decade’

In short, an Apache Software vulnerability affects the vast majority of servers connected to the internet and makes almost every major internet connected company susceptible to a complete compromise of their server systems. It is being actively exploited by hackers.
It’s unrelated to Amazon’s disruption… But it affects many sites including the CRA and many Québec governmental portals, universities (including teaching portals), etc.

Back to the disruption, Amazon have issued an explanation on their site: Summary of the AWS Service Event in the Northern Virginia (US-EAST-1) Region

In summary, an internal network event that went out of control, and caused severe network congestion in their Eastern United States region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.