Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been on hold for 1hr 34min trying to get through to the help line (611). What the @#$%. Any dif no. to try. Having problems for weeks and cant get though to anyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem is the modem has to be reset every hour or so. Or wait 5 minutes to get status light to be solid. Basicilly youll be surfin and click for next page or site and interexplrer says cannt find site. reset (pwr off and on) or wait 5-10mins and everything works again.
Was on hold other day for OVER 2HRS. Gave up.

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you're with TELUS you will need to call in and have a tech come out to look at your lines. What you are describing, chronic loss of synch, and slow modem linking (training as techs call it) are all symptoms of what is known as 'bridged tap'. This is a condition that is physically rooted, in that it is a cable or wiring issue. This is not going to be something that can be addressed over the phone.

Unplugging or power cycling the modem (rebooting) will seem to clear this problem, however the problem will return in a certain amount of time until the issue that is causing it is resolved.

Here's a quick analogy of why this is happening. The 'bridged tap' is causing errors to be present on your service. Errors are corrupt or lost packets. Think of these like a faucet dripping water into a cup, the errors are the drips, the cup is your modem/router. These errors 'build up' in your modem/router until they reach a critical point at which time the internet ceases to function and you must reboot the modem/router to get service back. For my analogy rebooting is emptying the cup. This rebooting dumps all the accumulated errors and thereby clears your service. Then when you restart the modem it re-synchs and the process of errors building up begins again, as if you placed the cup back under the drip after emptying it. This is why it’s important to have a tech come out and address the situation that is causing this bridged tap. Power cycling or rebooting only appears to fix it, in reality it will return when the errors reach a critical point. The answer is to address the cause of the errors, to stop the drip if you will, then the service will work properly. Constantly emptying the cup won’t stop the drip.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
22 Posts
had the same problem

had the same with telus, turned out there was a firmware upgrade and my modem didn't let it happen automatically had the same stuff going on, the tech when i got him on the phone checked it and took me thru the steps to update the firmware manually aftert that things were good. check what number firmware ver. you have and what it's supposed to be or get the tech to check

1 - 7 of 7 Posts