Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new computer last week running Win7Pro 64bit - this is the first time that I am using a 64 bit OS. I upgraded the IE to version 9.

I have noticed that some ActiveX addins don't seem to like running in the 64bit version of the browser. My wife just complained that she can't get her Yahoo Mail to work in IE - I am assuming that this is also related to the 64 bit browser.

Is this to be expected - numberous compatibility issues running the 64 bit version of a web browser?

What's the point of having a 64 bit version of the browser when you have widespread compatibility issues. Should I just use the 32 bit version of IE?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Lot's of add-ons don't work with 64 bit IE at this time.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Should I just use the 32 bit version of IE?
If it's your primary browser then yes.

I only use the 64 bit because my primary browsers are Chrome and Opera.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Lots of software is not compatible as well as hardware, but 64 is the way to go. I use a multi-boot with 32 and 64 bit (and linux) as a way to have the best of both (all) worlds.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't found any hardware issues but it is kind of annoying to have this issue - what is the point of having a 64 bit version when you can't use it consistently? The one hardware issue that I am very aware of is the lack of 64 bit drivers for firewire for cable STBs which led me to continue to use a 32 bit version of Win7 for my SageTV server as I prefer firewire to IR blasting for channel changing. But this is a desktop PC that will just be used for email, word processing, spreadsheets, some video viewing, and video encoding since it is a fast Sandy Bridge CPU.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I use a 64 bit O/S for everything. I've run into the occasional driver that is missing for old hardware. Other than that, practically everything is compatible. Even if it's only 32 bit software, it still runs under a 64 bit O/S. The big exceptions are plug-ins for IE64.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like Yahoo Mail still isn't working properly, even in the 32 bit version of IE9. Here is what is wrong - when you start typing a name in the To: field it doesn't try to autocomplete the address. And after you do send an email it stays in the compose email screen.

I am thinking that this is a Java issue so I see that you need both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java installed. But when I go to Tools - Manage Add-ons the entry that I have for Java is "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper". Is this what I should have or should there be something else.

Edit - Note that everything works fine in Google Chrome. How do I create a shortcut on my desktop that uses Google Chrome and goes to a specific URL, even if Chrome isn't my default browser - in other words I want to pass a URL to Chrome as it starts up.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Just drag the URL icon from the address bar to the desktop. That works in IE and FF so it should work in Chrome.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Problems with IE9

I downloaded IE9 a few days ago in a Windows update and it's been a problem. My outlook express won't allow me to accept attachments, although I've changed the default setting away from "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus." I also can't access airmilesshops from their site as they aren't compatible with IE9. I've tried to go back to IE8, but I get the message that I have a higher version, so it won't let me go back. Do I have to go back to a restore point? I'm running Vista.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I haven't been able to install IE8 because IE9 is already on my system. If I look to "add/remove programs", IE doesn't show up in the program list, so I don't know how to uninstall it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note
After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks so much! I'll give it a shot right now.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Perfect! Thanks, DSgamby!! I now have access to attachments and my "Favorites" back on the left where they should be.:p

·
Registered
469 Posts
IE9

On one of my computers I give IE9 (on win7) a try and I am not satisfied with it.

Is there a way to customize it?
-Favorite bar; I only have a star to add favorite on the bar, no favorite button with the drop down with all my favorites.
-The favorites are on the top right of the screen accessible with a tiny star hard to access with a touch pad. Can I, at least, move that star to the left of the screen?
-I do not have a search box anymore. I have to use the address for search and I am not sure I like it.

If not customizable I will revert that computer to IE8.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts