Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft today announced the worldwide beta availability of its new web browser, Internet Explorer 9.

The company says IE 9 is faster, cleaner and more secure than previous versions and supports HTML 5.

Download from here

Standard warning: This is beta software.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Did they mention the fact that it will not run on 50% of the Windows PCs currently accessing the internet? That is a big of a head scratcher.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well XP is almost ten years old now and it runs IE8. At some point you have to move on!

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Nothing wrong with XP despite its age (IMHO). If 1/2 the world is using it then it must be doing something right. This will make it difficult for MS to maintain its browser lead. They will also have to convince people that there is nothing wrong with IE8 once HTML5 gets some traction. Or perhaps this segment (XP owners) of internet users don't give a hoot about having the latest browser. Either way I am sure MS has a plan.

Usage share of web browsers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Usage share of operating systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

·
Registered
57 Posts
IE 9

I found IE 8 slower than IE 7.

Now, after a day of using IE 9, I very much like the new browser. It's definitely faster than it's predecessor.

The one issue I had with it was somehow it resurrected the CTV Olympic website as one of my Home pages when I removed it from that position after the games wrapped up last winter. I'm now, after re-jigging my Home Page settings in IE 9, trying to remove it permanently.

The Favourites button has been moved to the right side of the page and that takes some getting used to. Not sure whay they thought that was necessary.

The Search and Address windows have been combined on the left side. No issue there, once I get used to the idea that it's not on the right side.

Thing is, these visual changes are strictly cosmetic. The real difference is under the hood. Really, all I care about is that this browser is faster. And it is!

·
Banned
310 Posts
I'm pretty sure that users who still run XP don't give a hoot about fancy graphics or HTML5. I'm pretty sure that lots of that XP usage is in corporate environments who bought in to the Vista/7 is crap hype without ever trying them or they just don't have the resources to upgrade a whole bunch of workstations in our current economic environment.

We still run XP/IE6 in our workplace for cripes sakes.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
I'm pretty sure that users who still run XP don't give a hoot about fancy graphics or HTML5
All 3 PCs I use run XP and Chrome. IMO XP and HTML5 are not exclusive.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^
yeah, if MS thinks that IE9 is going to drive Windows7 sales, I think they're in for some unintended consequences when folks figure out that they can get a great (if not better...haven't played with IE9 so that's just a guess) experience with Chrome.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Downloaded the IE 9 and used it for a few hours then removed it from my computor and went back to IE 8. Figured that the few miliseconds that it would save me has little or no impact on my life at this time and I still do not understand why people want to rush their lives at the speed of light. Sit back and enjoy the roses. As a creature of habit I felt more comfortable with 8 and will wait until the final version is ready and perhaps then will use it. Each to his own. Have the same opinion of Chrome.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing wrong with XP despite its age (IMHO)
Not suggesting there is. I just meant that often times when you bring out new software with new features you have to abandon some legacy users.

I don't think that is bad, just a fact of life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts