Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting a new router my internet will stop working everyday. I will go out come home and wireless laptop and/or iphone shows full signal bars, can access network with main computer but no internet access. Modem and router show normal green lights. Main computer will no longer be able to connect with internet either. To fix the situation I unplug modem and router for 30 seconds, plug them back in and within a minute everything is good again. Interestingly I recently went away for 2 days and turned my computer off. When I returned wireless was working fine. The night after turning it back on it stopped working again.

Windows 7
Network Magic installed
D-Link 815 dual band router

Does this sound like a Shaw, computer, Network magic, or router problem? Any ideas? I will try anything.

Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Your post is confusing.

Can you connect via Ethernet or is both wireless and wired down.

Since it started with a new router, the router sounds like the culprit.

When this happens, can you connect to the internet via the modem (i.e./ take the router out of the equation?)

Search our Home Computing forum as there are several threads where users have had similar problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hugh,
When internet is down it is down. Neither wired or wireless connection will connect to internet but I can still transfer files between computers. At first I thought new router was bad but why is everything fine if my main computer is not running? What could my computer be doing that would stop the internet? Next time it happens I will remove the router and see if internet is restored.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It does sound like the router, but if the modem itself is losing connection, this would prevent your router from getting a public WAN IP, but you'd still be able to communicate between computers on your LAN.

Since your computers are able to communicate with each other, they are also communicating with the router, so that half of the equation is working. The problem is with the router itself being able to access the public internet.

Firstly, when your internet goes down, check your physical connections. Your modem's Online light should be solid green (not blinking), the modem's Activity light should be blinking, and your router's Internet light should be green (not orange). The ethernet cable from the modem should be plugged into the yellow ethernet port, on the back of the router. If any of the above is not true, your physical connections are the problem. If the modem's Online light is off or flashing, you may need to contact Shaw to schedule a service call.

If the lights are fine, log into your router and check your settings. IPv6, PPPoE, "Mac Spoofing", and any non-default firewall settings, should all be disabled. Your settings should all be dynamic, with no manual entries. If you're using wireless, WPA or WPA2 should be enabled, with a secure passphrase chosen. Your router also should have a valid WAN IP address which does not start with 192.168 or 169.254 .

If your router settings seem okay but you still can't connect, you should try resetting your router to its factory default settings (with power on, push a paperclip in the "reset" hole for 10 secs). If all else fails, you may need to contact D-Link for product support.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tux,
Physical connections are fine. Hooked modem directly to computer and it worked. I reset router and time will tell if that did anything. You lost me a bit on the part about IPv6, PPPoE, "Mac Spoofing" but below is a copy of the WAN section of my router page after I got everything working again. Until i reset my router i could not access the router admin pages.

Connection Type: DHCP Client
Cable Status:Connected
Network Status:Connected
Connection Up Time:0 Day 0 Hour 4 Min 38 Sec
MAC Address:34:08:04:09:a2:1d
IP Address:96.48.96.70
Subnet Mask:255.255.252.0
Default Gateway:96.48.96.1
Primary DNS Server:64.59.144.16
Secondary DNS Server:64.59.144.17

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
but if the modem itself is losing connection, this would prevent your router from getting a public WAN IP
Assuming the modem didn't drop the internet connection, the router wouldn't know the difference. It would still have an IP address for the duration of the DHCP lease.

Until i reset my router i could not access the router admin pages.
This sounds like the router is causing your problems. You say "new" router. Do you still have an old one handy for testing? Also, that router consists of two parts. There's the router portion and a 4 port switch. The switch works regardless of whether the router is working, so you will still have communications between the various computers, at least until their DHCP addresses expire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DIR-815

I exchanged the failing router for a new one and it was fine for a month. Now I have to switch it on and off a couple times a day. If I can't figure this out I am going to get a different brand. Any suggestions for a good headache free router?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have you upgrade the firmware with the latest? If not, upgrade first before looking for another router.

DD-WRT does not support DIR-815. It supports the DIR-825. Otherwise, DD-WRT firmware is a better solution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just curious, when this happens are you able to, say, still stream music (not through a web browser) or have your mail still show up in Outlook (or similar?)

What error message does your web browser give you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Browser says server not found. I use gmail it will not retrieve it. I have a media extender linked to my hard drive through the router and I can still watch movies and listen to music. My iPhone will not connect to network though wifi. But as soon as I turn the router on and off and wait a few minutes all is good again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The reason I ask is that I just upgraded our modem to a docsis 3 at our office, and some users have the internet drop, but still get mail and online music continues to stream. At the same time, other users still have internet access. I will replace the router next week, but it seams suspicious it happened when I upgraded the modem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My new SMC Docsis 3 modem (configured as a basic cable modem only) was dropping the Internet connection multiple times a day starting from the first day I brought I home. It was almost as if it was reseting itself as it would immediatly go through the initialization sequence and come back online whenever it dropped. I called support... The could inspect the log and see the number of incidents. Tried resetting it remotely. Problem persisted. Next call they setup a time to dispatch a tech to my house. He checked all connections from the modem to the box on the outside of my house to the pole. Found a suspect connection on the pole and replaced it. I then left on a business trip and don't know if that fixed it. I'll know in a few days after I'm back home. I wonder if these SMC modems are flaky or if theyre just much more sensitive to signal quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts