Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Internet dies, Shaw says it's a router problem.

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  EPRock 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

Setup:

Motorola SB5101 -> D-Link WBR-2310 -> Computer

Problem:

When downloading via bittorrent client and speeds reach above 1.2MBps internet connection drops and to restore it I have to reset Motorola modem.

Calls to Shaw resulted in:

First call, SCR said it was normal and nothing needs to be done.

Second call, SCR said that there's a problem with Router so that Modem is not syncing with it and thus drops internet connection.

Both times SCR told me that everything is fine when they check out my modem.

I've had this setup for years now, never would I have to restart Modem to get internet back. It started happening within last few weeks and it depends heavily on download speed, i.e. if it gets too high the connection to internet would drop.

I'm having hard time believing SCR that Router can be at fault here and connected Modem directly to my computer to see if it fails but did not have a chance to get downloading speed high enough yet.

What do you guys think?

Perhaps someone from Shaw here can comment?

Update: I was able to reach 1.7Mbps download speed and after 30 minutes Modem disconnected from internet, all lights on the Modem are as if nothing happened. Going back to previous setup, obviously it's not the Router that's at fault here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, the thing is I didn't touch anything in my settings of any kind and it was all working just fine for a long time.
Router has nothing to do with it, I checked. Modem freezes during high speed P2P download.
Is this something Shaw does now to prevent P2P?

#5 ·
Slayer, I can assure you that there isn't anything Shaw does that prevents torrents from working. Some routers do not handle the packet type torrents use well, and that may be a possibility.

Another thing I would recommend is making sure your modem and router are connected directly to a power outlet, not through a power bar as intermittent issues can often be attributed to power issues for the modem and/or router.

#6 ·
Their Traffic Management Policies are at http://www.shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use/#section4 . They restrict the maximum upload transfer speed for P2P when the network is congested.

If you want to be technical, upload rate limitations wouldn't "prevent [torrents] from working", they'd just slow them down. It also wouldn't cause your modem to reset, or to drop the connection.

Is your computer connected wirelessly, or does it have a direct connection to the router? Does your connection drop after 30 minutes if you connect the computer directly to the modem?

Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw’s network. Shaw’s traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.

Shaw’s traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.

Shaw’s traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.

The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw’s network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual’s customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.