Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bell internet subscriber @ home, we also have mobility and land line with Bell, i want to be able to take my laptop to my cottage and surf the web, any suggestions as to what would be the cheapest way of doing this? I am in deep cottage country so it isn't as simple as hooking up a modem?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If you have a phone line, a dial up (aka slow) modem would be the cheapest way. If cellular data service is available, that may be an option but it can be very expensive. Satellite internet may be the only option otherwise. Two way satellite is not cheap to setup and use either but it beats the price of cell based data plans. Some satellite services require a modem for outgoing data so they would require a phone line.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Bell`s Turbo Hub is probably the best choice (Wi-max service)

But it might be cheaper to use your smartphone as a modem if you have a decent data plan. 3G is more expensive but you use it at home and the cottage.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry I got the marketing term wrong but it is the WiMax product I was suggesting which I guess is called Portable of Rural.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No problem Hugh.

Just as a point of interest with the WiMax, I was always told that Bell and Rogers share the same network for the WiMax service but I am on the Rogers WiMax and get zero signal with a Bell WiMax unit.

So I would suggest trying both systems, I know Rogers do not require a Contract and will give a full refund if you do not get any signals.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Both Rogers and Bell use the same network (Inukshuk)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That is/was what I am told but I still get no signal on a Bell unit but great signal on my Rogers one, very odd. Maybe they use the same network but do not share every tower.?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They share all the same infrastructure. Inukshuk is a separate company that is a 50-50 partnership between Bell and Rogers. The only difference is the marketing.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well that still does not explain lack of signals with a Bell WiMax unit but anyway, it is what it is.

I would point people towards the Rogers offering as there is no contract.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the replies, i contacted bell and it seems the only way of doing is signing up for a 1 year contract to purchase the turbo stick, at 30$ a month, not happening as we already pay over 55$ for home internet, would only be used at cottage for a couple weeks out of the summer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts