Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this newb question, but I'm a little confused over hard drive prices. There seems to be huge price difference between them and was hoping someone could explain why. For example from TigerDirect there are two WD 2TB drives:

Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 2TB, 3.5", 64MB, SATA-3G = $179.97

Western Digital WD2001FASS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200 RPM, 64MB, SATA-300 = $395.99

Looking at the specs, they look almost identical. Why the price difference?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The blacks are Western Digitals top end drive. They are faster and perform better then the green drives for the most part.
The green drivers are supposed to be more environmentally friendly and use less power. Which is why they spin at 5400rpm vs the 7200rpm of the black.
Some one on here can let you know if there is a big difference between the 2 in day to day computer operations. I have the black and its a speedy beast.
Almost the same level as the raptors.

Both drives are Sata II but some new drives now have Sata III as well for the brand new Sata III mother boards.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Prices are dropping rapidly on 2.0TB drives so there will be large differences between makes, models and stores. WD Black drives are typically about 10% more than the WD Green models for 1.0TB and 1.5TB drives. Unless you really need the capacity, 1.5TB models are the best bang for the buck right now. I've seen them recently for $100-$120. 2.0TB models can be had for $140-$160. The WD Black drives are more suitable for a system drive. The WD Green models are more suited for external drives or if performance is not a priority, such as for data archiving.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Watch for the warranty!

WD Black drives are 5 year warranty, most other OEM are 3 years. Beware of some retail drives sold at big box stores only have one year warranty.

Of all the drives I have ever had crap out on me they have always been in the 3+ year range.

Since you are looking at such a huge drive you probably will be more concerned with the lost content than the replacement of your drive but its nice to at least get a replacement drive should you have problems Remember to back up anything that you don't want to lose!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, backing up is what I'm after. I'm quickly running out of space for my media on a DNS-323 with 2 x 500 GB in RAID 0. I'm hoping to set up the 2TB drives in a RAID 1 so they back each other up. It should double my capacity AND act as a back up at the same time. It seems like the green drives are the way to go, since I can get two of the green drives for the price of one black.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Definitely go with the greens unless you're looking for the fastest transfer rate.
If it were your main drive, I'd suggest the black, but in a NAS, green should be good.
Just be aware that the green you listed is the new advanced format drive - make sure your NAS is set up to use it correctly.
Not sure if special setup is required or not.. never thought of it until now.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I have the green one in my backup server and the only negative point I have about them is when they go to sleep. They seem to take a bit longer to wake up versus the black ones. Aside from that, they are very good and heat wise, they run pretty much cooler than any regular hard drive I've owned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1.5 WD Green Drive in my DNS-323

I have a 1.5TB Green in 1 bay of my DNS-323 and it works great. I'm considering replacing my other bay with a 2TB.

Make sure you have Firmware level 1.06 (or better) for a 1.5TB. For 2TB you'll need the latest firmware 1.08.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've seen the 2.0TB WD Green drives with 64 MB cache going for about $130 from a Canadian online retailer, bestdirect dot ca (based on the new rules I think I'm ok to post their name here) They don't charge PST outside of BC and have free shipping on this product right now which brings the cost to about $136. I purchased most of the components for my HTPC from them and the service was good, I would order from them again. If I hadn't recently purchased a 1.5TB WD Green for $110, I'd be all over the extra 500 GB for $20.

It seems like the pricing on the 2TB drives is getting more aggressive and when I need another drive in my server I'll be looking at one for sure. I have 2 1.5TB WD Green drives and find the performance more than adequate for my needs at this point in time. I would highly recommend them to any regular user.

If you're the Core i7 980 (6 core one I think) type of person, you would probably be going with the higher performance Black, but for us Pentium Dual Core types, the Green drives are excellent value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.