Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
I suspect the increase will only be for those who subscribe to basic only. Those who have classic cable or digital tv probably won't see an increase. But then again, this is not confirmed in any way, just my opinion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
See that's where it gets confusing, so it would be nice if Shaw would put out a memo ahead of time announcing the increase. Maybe the $2 increase might apply to those that have the $36.95 basic digital (like me) but in a way everyone who has higher priced packages has basic digital as a starting point.

Still, I will just pay the increase. MTS T.V.'s basic cable is $40.99 (according to their website) and with Shaw by having the digital box (as opposed to analog), we also get stations like teletoon retro, viva, cosmo, national geographic in there as well.

Plus, at least according to their website, with MTS in order to get any station in high def you have to subscribe to the standard definition equivalent meaning you'd have to subscribe to a higher-up package than just the $40.99 basic cable.

Now if Shaw would give me Oasis HD in my grandfathered HD Plus I'd be happy. I suspect any day now they might just raise the price for the grandfathered people to the $16 and then give us that station.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, that's the Shaw way of doing business. Somebody has to pay for the teaser rates, why not the long term 'loyal' customers......and that's why I left Shaw 18 months ago (and it would have been 5 years ago had there been an alternative then)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't had a rate increase notice yet but I would guess that I will get one on my invoice for the next billing cycle. However, mine will actually be going DOWN by $12.00 as in reaction to the announced rate increases I have canceled Movie Central ($17) and Encore Avenue ($3) and in their place gone to Netflix ($8).

I was thinking of canceling Movie Central in any case because the movie lineup seems to me to have gone way downhill over the past year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Triple Play promotion ends this month.
As a result, the combination of the end of the promotion and the rate increase I was going to go from $99.00/month for all three services to $165.00.month!!!!!

I called to see if I could work something out so I was at least paying in and around $120.00 without losing too much of the package. I was even willing to remove the movie channels to cut the cost.
$47.00 Xtreme
$21.00 Phone
$78.00 HD TV
---------------
$146.00 + Tax for all services is what the cost would be and they would not budge on price. No promo pricing for long term loyal customers apparently. Oh but the CSR did have the audactity to tell me that they no longer charge for modem rental. That's great being that I bought the modem outright 5 years ago.

Shaw is a joke now. Gone to Telus paying $118 for the same service AFTER 1 year of promotional pricing.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I blame all those damn teaser rates for this. I wish they would all stop it already. The only ones #winning are the guys that go back and forth to whomever has the best deal of the day. New friends are better than old friends like the ally commercial says. I guess they are trying to find that threshold where they can charge the most without causing their customer base to change too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Telus called me tonight and got an offer of $38.00 a month for 6 months, then to $68.00 a month thereafter. No contract, so I thought I would be fair and let Shaw know and see if they would at least match the offer. All I was told was Telus does this and Telus does that. They wouldn't even offer me anything.
Well, I went from Shaw to Bell because after 3 years of asking for RDS -HD and saying there wasn't enough support, and also not being offered anything better in pricing I switched TV at the end of November, I got a call a few weeks back offering $9.95 a month for 6 months of TV ( since I am on contract ) I told them such and would see what there offers were in two years.
See you later Shaw

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree Jodest3r. and the people who get special promotion pricing are the first to threaten to leave when their promotion ends unless they get another promotion. The long time customers who pay regular prices for years are the ones who are making up for the shortfall. I guess Shaw realizes we have a less chance of leaving them. Plus the fact that I own my pvr which will only work with Shaw. All providers seem to do the price game though. In fact sometimes you have to really search their website for what the regular price will be after the promotion ends - they don't want you to focus on that.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I guess they are trying to find that threshold where they can charge the most without causing their customer base to change too much.
Shaw must be running some business intelligence/data analysis tools that tells them that some customers just aren't very price sensitive and their revenue will be substantially higher if they milk those customers while appeasing the price sensitive customers with time limited offers. I don't know anything about Shaw's cost of doing business, but I suspect that even at the teaser rates they're still profitable.

For customers who know how to be a squeaky wheel though, this may be a good thing since they will get better deals than they would if Shaw were to set a (lower) standard price and stick to their guns.

The problem with giving their longstanding customers better rates than their new customers is that in a competitive market in that arrangement they would be ceding most new customers to the competition. There aren't many successful industries that I can think of where new customers subsidize old customers.

Before cancelling cable TV my girlfriend called to see if Shaw would offer her a better rate, and the answer was "no". Then, after she cancelled cable for a couple months Shaw called back and offered her cable @$10/mo for 6 months (I'm not 100% sure on the price, but it was pretty cheap). She declined that offer and then, a couple weeks later, Shaw called back again and offered her free cable for 6 months. She declined that offer too.

If I were in charge at Shaw, I'm doubt I would do things any differently. In the relatively near future (~5 years) internet streaming is going to displace cable and satellite TV for for the general population. Customers are going to buy $100 streaming Apple TV-like boxes and subscribing to Netflix like video providers. Until that time, it's in Shaw's interest to extract as much money from their existing customer base as possible.

When the world moves to streaming, Shaw needs to have a IP-based video streaming service ready-to-go if they don't want to become a "pure" internet play. Unfortunately (for Shaw) there is going to be a lot more competition in that arena since there aren't "natural local monopolies" like there are with cable TV, and consumers will be paying the commodity price, not the local monopoly price.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Shaw could easily solve the problem with contracts like the wireless industry. That would solve the problem (you get this rate for six months and free hardware, sign a three year contract). They choose not to. Not sure they should be criticized for that. But not sure that's really on topic. This thread is about pending rate increases, not about expiring promotions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the rate adjustment basic cable should only be $38.95 plus tax. If a customer pays extra for additional outlets one option that can be recommended is adding phone or internet as the extra outlets are then free (up to a total of 4 outlets) so often you save with the new service and your bill may actually go down instead of up.
I was told that I only get two outlets free and they started charging me $5.95 for additional outlets. I have basic cable, high speed internet, and the cantonese package.

Am I getting misled?

P.S. My bill said my rate is going up $4 as of April.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Most packages that have internet or phone bundled with cable can have up to 4 outlets at no extra charge. I'll look into it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts