Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
What people don't seem to realize is that this whole UBB thing is being blown way out of proportion. This would technically only affect smaller providers getting their bandwidth from larger providers and would only affect those consuming large amounts of bandwidth, so technically it would affect very few people and definitely not most average consumers. The media is making this seem like a bigger issue than it really is methinks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As a individual I know have a data meter on my account page where as a few months ago there was no item to look at my consumption.

As a individual I have a cap on my consumption of band width as a short time ago I had no measurable limits.

As a individual I bought an additional IP and covered my back on over use which I never came near to and really had no way of seeing where I was in use anyways. I have now dropped the additional IP and bumped my plan to Warp to cover my cap.

As a individual I now have Netflix and my monthly data rate use went up triple to what I normally use in a months time, I did not over use Netflix but enjoyed the exploration of a new service. I found one month of Netflix was the same cost as a HD VOD from my provider. I am of the mind you pay for what you use but in that there has to be a way to have control of the Cap Tap so I can decide what I want using my band width. Also there needs to be more providers so I can shop around and find my services at the price I feel is the best I can get.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here or being to suspicious, I would assume that "file" or report was NOT to be released yet, there fore

1) How or who actually posted it at the original forum?

2) Would not this be considered a Stolen document, hence a crime has been committed?

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but I would asume its not to be shown to the public, hence why has irt been removed previously from the orginal forum?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
The information is out. Shaw employees were even discussing the so-called leaked document on a public portion on Facebook.
Besides, whether anything untoward has occurred is something to be dealt with between Shaw and its employees.
As for UBB discussions, please confine those to the Internet forums or the Shaw subforum within.
This thread is for discussion (and eventual confirmation) of the reported rate increases.
Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly the reason I cancelled my cable TV and went Telus Optik. Rate increases many times the core inflation rate. My bill always seemed to be increasing! The last straw was reduced channels on the analog selection and a very expensive PVR to enter the digital TV realm. I am so happy to be out. I do not even have to suffer the Shaw advertising substitutions that raised my blood pressure every time I thought of 50 channels of reality TV and nothing watchable for $80/month.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The reason Shaw keeps up with the price increases every few months is because they can. I would have thought Optik would have slowed them down a bit but I guess Shaw still figures they are untouchable. Shaw is going to keep up with the price increases until they notice a trend where more customers are leaving than staying.

Most people figure its only a couple of dollars, but the truth is its a few dollars increase every few months.

Best thing to do is speak with your wallet and change to any of the other providers (other than Shaw Direct of course).

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is not a rant..just a note...I am on a fixed income and every time my cable rate goes up I downgrade my service.....but I do wish my income would go up by the same percentage as Shaw instead of not increasing at all.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I have no issue with rate adjustments by any provider at any time. I think that's their right.

What I constantly look at is the value proposition presented by those rates. As a triple play customer, I look across what other BDUs/ILECs provide and cost and determine whether the value proposition merits my continued business. Setting aside Telus for a moment, Shaw does still compare favourably across both Canada and the US in terms of the value proposition for my particular package of services. As long as that remains the case, then I'm content ... rate increase or not. As for Telus, because I despise the company the value proposition has to be overwhelmingly better to consider their product. With the 1HD/2SD stream still what they offer for the most part ... they are a non-contender.

Within the context of the above, I am just not cranked up about a modest fee increase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well thats the last straw.
I have a cable outage right now and after seeing they will take away encore 2 which is the only movie channel I get on basic, I'm OUT.

My bill is over $42 for basic garbage.

Another $2 and channels removed from basic analoge is the last straw.

My TV will be a conversation piece I guess or maybe I can rig up a old sattilite dish and get some free feeds.

I'm out shaw.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
After the rate adjustment basic cable should only be $38.95 plus tax. If a customer pays extra for additional outlets one option that can be recommended is adding phone or internet as the extra outlets are then free (up to a total of 4 outlets) so often you save with the new service and your bill may actually go down instead of up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
also I pay $53 a month for my car insurance and less than that for Hydro.
Shaw basic cable is not worth a months insurance or a months electricty.

Forget it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shaw can justify this increase in their own mind but the customer knows by looking at his bill that the rate increases are WAY MORE that Stats Canada core inflation rate for the last five years. Shaw now owns Global/CTV and now I know where the money for that came from.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
That is kind of off-topic. I simply was commenting on the value proposition of Shaw as a Triple Play customer versus other providers. Even at 2HD/1SD, that still tips to Shaw in my view.

Shaw Basic and Shaw Basic HD are the same price. $36.95 now and slated to go to $38.95.

Shaw owns Global. Bell owns CTV. Rogers owns CityTV and OmniTV.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If the rate for Shaw's Basic Cable is $38.95 what is Shaw's rate for Basic Cable with HD?

- another TELUS tech
If you are factoring in the $2 increase coming up in April, it is $38.95 for Digital Basic with HD Basic (channels 200-215 in most areas).

If you added the rest of the HD channels (excluding Movie Central/Super Channel) with HD Plus (channels 218-239), it would be $54.95.

Also, remember that you do not need the SD equivalent to receive a channel in HD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a triple play customer. According to the list my high speed internet will increase $2 per month but what about my cable? I have Digital Cable for $62.95 a month plus the grandfathered HD package. The document says there is a $2 increase to basic cable. Now I know that basic cable is a part of my package but technically I don't have basic cable I have classic or digital. Does this mean I will see a $2 increase to my cable bill as well as my internet?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts