Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
247 Posts
voyager6868 said:
If Rogers is too lazy to go and shut off the cable feed, then it's their problem.
I agree 100%. I, for example am not a big fan of people who pirate Satellite feeds. Whether its grey mark or black market or whatever, they still installed special equipment in order to watch channels they did not pay for.

Now if Rogers does not off the feed after you cancel then you are not a thief, you are lucky!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
nfitz said:
If someone sticks a free weekly newspaper through your mailbox, do you read it, or leave it unread? Most would read it, but some people think it's wrong and do the latter.
If it is a free paper, then you don't need to pay for it. Cable isn't free.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
scampbell said:
If it is a free paper, then you don't need to pay for it. Cable isn't free.
If one hasn't requested it, and finds it being pushed into ones house without being requested, then yes, I think it is free. Rewiring the system to get it "free" is obviously a criminal act, and taking advantage of a previous occupant's rewiring doesn't seem right. But if it's a perfectly legit connection, that a previous tenant/owner has had properly disconnected, and Rogers is too lazy to do the disconnect properly, then I don't see how this is any more of a crime than reading the junkmail that is involuntarily forced upon one!

Personally, in my only experience on it, we cancelled the service from Rogers ... but not knowing when it would take effect, never unplugged it from the TV (we were starving students, so there was no replacement). A couple of months went buy, the bills stopped coming, and then they finally did turn it off properly. So Roger CAN do it ... if they choose not to ... then that is their choice.

Nick

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wayne said:
I don't think they will do b) until the CableCard 2.0 spec is out. Don't forget that with CableCard 1.0 you cannot have VoD or PPV and Rogers is hoping on this for revenue from you so providing you with a CableCard will decrease the potential revenue that Rogers will get from you.
Wayne:

I'm no rocket scientist.. but I would think that as the number of cablecard equipped TV increases in the Canadian marketplace.. the sheer number of customers who *could* be watching free ROD movies via this method increases.. Rogers would want to address that via the methods I mentioned.

I've seen a number of people who categorically state that Rogers will NEVER offer cable cards. I disagree with that assessment. I think they will, and probably as you note - when the 2.0 spec is finalized.

J

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
lajohn27 said:
I've seen a number of people who categorically state that Rogers will NEVER offer cable cards. I disagree with that assessment. I think they will, and probably as you note - when the 2.0 spec is finalized.
I don't think that Rogers wants to be in the box rental/sale business if they can help it. They have had no choice if they want to push digital cable (which increases their reveune) but I don't think this is a huge profit centre for them - it is a loss leader to sell digital cable packages.

How are they making money when they sell the digital boxes for $100 less $100 in programming credits? (At least that is the case for the SA3200 boxes in Ontario) Even the $100 is probably less than their cost - the cables and remote alone would retail for about $50 at a store like FS or The Source. I think they would much rather be in the business of just renting you a CableCard for a couple of dollars a month. But in doing so they don't want to be shutting themselves off from additional profit in the form of PPV and VOD purchases.

This is analgous to the old days when you needed a separate "converter" box to watch cable channels above 13 and you generally rented the box from Rogers. They got out of that business as more and more TVs had built-in converters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wayne said:
How are they making money when they sell the digital boxes for $100 less $100 in programming credits? (At least that is the case for the SA3200 boxes in Ontario) Even the $100 is probably less than their cost - the cables and remote alone would retail for about $50 at a store like FS or The Source.
I actually think this will continue and increase. It is no different than cell phones. They typically cost hundreds more than what they are sold for but are used to generate subscribers. Soon Rogers and Bell will be giving away PVRs for 3-5 year contracts. Rogers is doing this now (or in the past) to pull customers away from satellite, it will only escalate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My tv does not have a built-in ATSC tuner, what hardware do I need to scan/tune into these unscrambled channels ?

If I use my PC, do I simply connect the Rogers cable directly into a video card that includes an ATSC tuner ?

thanks !

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
castelle said:
My tv does not have a built-in ATSC tuner, what hardware do I need to scan/tune into these unscrambled channels ?

If I use my PC, do I simply connect the Rogers cable directly into a video card that includes an ATSC tuner ?

thanks !
To do that you need a card that has a QAM/ATSC tuner - I believe some of the DVICO cards can do that but most HD PC tuner cards will not.

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
You need a QAM tuner. I assume you know that most of the channels are encrypted. See the Digital Home FAQ "Can I get Digital Cable".

Please put your location and service provider if applicable in your profile. It'll often help us help you.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
castelle said:
If a PC card says it has an ATSC tuner - does that mean it will have a QAM tuner as well ?
NO - if it has an ATSC tuner that means you can receive Over The Air (OTA) digital TV. It must specify that it has QAM as well. But as 57 said, note that most Canadian cable companies encrypt most, if not all, of their digital cable channels so there is no guarantee that you will be able to receive anything with a QAM card. If you are interested in OTA check out the OTA forums on this board as there are lots of very knowledgeable people there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is infact true, I have a friend in Barrie who just bought a Sony Wega TV and is experiancing the same thing. No control, however the ability to watch any movie that is being played. She also recieves the NHL and MLB Channels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I know why some of the VOD channels are in the clear on Roger's. The reason being is it takes a lot of money to encrypt the streaming channel in realtime, they do it for the PPV's though for example if you got two cable outlets and a rogers digital box, go to ROD and select a movie and press preview, when you try to view it through the QAM it will come up as a channel but it will be blank (encrypted), I could not view my VOD content when I was previewing the ppv's so it would be the same if you ordered them. If I go to the free zone however I was able to view the content I requested in the other tv that has qam built in. However to cut down on costs for The Movie Network and other VOD services which are offered at no cost they had to keep the channels unecrypted. This way you can cram more people on one server/computer when the information is unecrypted than encrypted. What I also noticed certain shows maybe are not obligated to be encrypted like jerry springer but other content is. Pretty much what you see is people using the free on demand services to view content but you only get maybe 5-8 channels of it so you can imagine its probably for 100 houses that are hooked up to the same line for the VOD services. It's funny though because you see pretty much everyone watching the new stuff on TMN Tuesday I think is when they shuffle the VOD content on TMN, so why need to subscribe to tmn if its shown through VOD and mostly everyone watches the new premieres on it consistently. However in the future when the cost of hardware drops they may start encrypting even the tmn content in realtime but for now I think its only for the ppv's because I have yet to see a ppv movie through the qam thing. What ticks me off though is if roger's offers east coast hd channels free why aren't they unecrypted on QAM so I can save myself the hassle of buying another $300 hdtv tuner box.
I think a lot of people are going to start owning hdtv receiver with tuners built in be it atsc/qam very soon because the price of hdtv lcd's have dropped a lot recently (60%) you can buy a 42inch 720p (1300x720 lines) for $1,500u.s. (syntax olevia) and 32inch for around $1,000u.s 26inch around $750u.s when before they were double the price and they can be used as a computer monitor (if you got a good graphic card that outputs in widescreen hdtv formats).

·
Registered
1 Posts
it isnt a fluke, i am on comcast in florida and it appears to me that the on demand is actually not encrypted as it shows up on my tv tuner card with 15 allocated channels that are all on-demand

it appears to me (my unprofessional opinion as i am a cad guy not a cable guy) that the on demand channels are only encripted to the box where it splits off from the fiber optics and there are (in my case) 15 channels avaliable in my area for o-d which would be say my subdivision which would also be why it is so hard to get through and actually order/watch due to all frequencies being used up. I do have two set top boxes and if i or my neighbor order and o-d movie, i can flip through the freq range on my pc and watch/record through my tuner card(pinacle sys hd pci)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts