Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here goes.
I buy this old house on an old street.
I live in it for about a year and don't really have much time to watch tv so my wife and I just hooked up our tv to rabbit ears. Worked ok.
After a year later we decide to check the cable feed ouside at our house.
I hooked it up and voila every channel up to about 74.
I guess no one ever cut the feed to the house from the pole on my street.
I then go out and buy a Hitachi 60inch 60VS810. (nice tv).
I get the tv to scan for all available channels.
All of a sudden i have more than just the regular channels.
It turns out that I can catch movies that other people in my neibourhood are watching yet I have no control over the movies. Whenever i'm on a "movie on demand" channel and it blinks that means that another person has just started another movie. Quite hillarious and cool : free cable and movies...woo hoo.

so here is my question.
If I go out and get a HD box can i just plug it in and it will work?
I want to get HD viewing. What can I do?
I don't want to hook it up and then I wake up someone at Rogers, next thing you know everything stops working.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
There is no such thing as "free cable". Morally/legally, you should be paying for it.

If you want an HD STB, you'll need to get it activated by Rogers and you'll need to pay for what you're getting.

This forum doesn't condone hacking or "stealing".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not my fault no one cut the feed to my house.
I know for a fact that there are other homes on my street that
have similar stories. I think that there is just some kind of issue on my street.
Maybe the cable guys just don't want to climb up a 60 foot pole...

I'm sure if this happend to anyone else they would not
turn around and call the cable company to say
" I'm getting channels and I'm not even a customer"

Anyway thanks for your two cents.........

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Typically its cheaper for the cable companies to NOT disconnect the analog lines when a person moves because they anticipate the next occupant will sign up.

I had analog cable the whole time I was on Bell exclusively. I never watched it because I had Bell.It was actually about 18 months after I had Bell that I even realized it because I was trying to divert my satellite feed through my homes cabling.

Frankly, I don't think its stealing so much as stupidity on the cable provider. Its like sending people a free subscription and then asking them not to read it.

Having said all that, you will need to pay for that HD subscription !

If you started decrypting signals or hooked up a cable that wasn't previously hooked up then that would be stealing.

The Interesting thing in your situation is that your neigbour's action is affecting your site

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's kind funny sometimes.
I'd be watching someone else's movie and they all of a sudden choose to pause it or rewind it etc. I can only guess who is ordering all the adult movies on my street. It could be the old lady next to me ...haha. alot of rewinding happends when those movies are on..
Anyway I agree, I don't even think the previous owner had a tv. It was an old lady and the house was vacant for about 8 months.....

Thanks for all your feedback.....

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I suspect that you may find your cable has been spliced off of your neighbours hence why this is happening. It doesn't make sense that this would be happening otherwise. Something upstream is decoding that Digital signal.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I am confused, isn't the "on demand" stuff digital only? If you do not have a digital box, how could you be getting the "on demand" movies? Or is this simply analog PPV?.

·
Registered
611 Posts
how does that work??? where would the splice be?

Lets say you have two digital terminals in your house. If you watch an on demand movie on one box, would you be able to see it on the other box without paying extra? (ie- would you need to buy the show on that box?)

Is this working for PPV as well or are you only able to see on demand programs?

·
Registered
781 Posts
That TV has QAM tuner because it is CableCard compatible. If you are truly able to tune into the On Demand streams that other people are watching, then that truly is a glitch in the system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly what i'm getting. others movies on demand.
As well I also just realized that I get the music only channels.
I'll do another scan tonight and see if I can get any more channels.
Lol...
interesting no?

·
Registered
692 Posts
dcomp11 said:
That TV has QAM tuner because it is CableCard compatible. If you are truly able to tune into the On Demand streams that other people are watching, then that truly is a glitch in the system.
Uh..for that to be true, doesn't that require Rogers to provide a CableCard? To the best of my knowledge (and someone correct me if I'm mistaken) Roger doesn't yet have a CableCard available. And even if the TV came with a compatible cable card, wouldn't Rogers have to activate on the cable account?

I have 3 digital boxes, one HD and 2 SD and all the VOD stuff is independent. If I watch a movie on one box and then go to another box, I need to watch the movie from the start (or FF to the right spot). So even if your TV has a cablecard tuner, I would not think you would be able to watch another VOD stream.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
dcomp11 said:
But doesn't Rogers encrypt the QAM signal?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
but he's saying he see's when his neigbour? pauses and ff's the VOD which suggests he's downstream of something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I experience the same thing with my Sony Wega with built-in digital tuner. I hook up cable directly to it and then scan and I get a bunch of channels that off and on will have a on demand movie. They are definitely from another house as they can be paused/fast forwarded. The funniest was an adult movie that kept fast forwarding and then playing various scenes. Sometimes, there will be 5 or 6 movies going at once and sometimes repeats so definitely coming from more than 1 house.

I do have a technical question for the Sony TV though (55WF655). When I do the initial scan, I pick up all the analog + digital that are not scrambled + these on demand channels. After I turn my tv off, I lose most of the tuned channels except for the on demand ones. If someone else with a Sony has tried this and can comment, that would be great.

I know I'm directly connected to the cable box in my back yard as I had a new line run so I'm not spliced anywhere.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Wow...this is quite a fascinating bug in the system! Of course it can be 'fixed' instantly by encrypting the VOD signal - provided they have the capability to do so!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just tested this issue with my Sony Grand Wega RP LCD (60xs955). I found the same thing. I can see TMNonDemand programs being watched by some else. Also ROD movies. Same fast forward issue as well. The same movie was playing on different stations at different parts of the movei. so I must be getting signals from at leasdt two neighbours. The singals are coming in on the TV's digital tuner 88 and 93 series channels. Very strange?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts