Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
i wonder if it's (not so much) AVR vs. processor or the quality of the design and components used. i suppose within that thought, probably reasonable (to assume) one can expect a $ 2000 AVR to process (proceed .ha!) better than a entry level AVR (with Pre-outs)

i think it's a clever idea (and marketable to boot) to develop (design) for improved result, particularly referring to this Denon feature. gee ..be interesting to see how competitors (AVR manufacturers) respond. i suppose (one can think) it's a reversal of role when speaking of the intent of pure direct (or analogue by-pass) to improve analogue playback in AVR's. what can be done to improve A/V digital processing in AVRs.

i recently added in a separate pre/processor i purchased "on the cheap". albeit it doesn't have the feature set, but it has allowed greater ensight on some fundamentals for me vs. risking the price tag of dedicated processors (generally speaking). call it a test (or whatever), without the overhead. regardless, i didn't want to fall into 90% of the cost for 10% of the improvement category ..

i am comfortable saying (from my interaction) comparing the analogue sections of the Pre -2DSP vs. my AVR (approx. $1500 original MSRP) - the sound quality from a musical POV, is improved significantly for me. great 2 channel listening. from an HT POV, i have lost convenience and feature; however the audio character of the Pre is forwarded unto multichannel listening as well. additionally, i think when i find a good phono stage (pre-amp) for my TT, it will fit in nicely, musically.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
yes ... i understand (prior to as well). good points cfraser .. as usual. lets attribute this to limitation(s) of communicating through text (writing) ..vs. a verbal discussion .etc. :D .. plus i don't wanna throw your specific title off topic.

be interesting if there were social get togethers, people bringing select gear to demo .. discuss. not much of a market for that @ my coordinates though ..unfortunately.

back on track. some light reading from audioholics re: the 4311. the feature (as you are aware im sure - but for others to read, enjoy) is called Pre-Amp Mode.

the AVR-4311CI has a feature that we've only seen on two other receivers before (Yamaha RX-Z7 and RX-Z11) - Pre Amp Mode. For years we've been suggesting to our readers that they get a receiver with pre-outs so that, if they feel the need, they can add an amp later. Dedicated separates were (for a very long time) out of the reach of most consumers and were (until recently) usually lacking some of the most recent features. Opponents of using a receiver as a pre amp often sited multiple reasons (not all of which were valid ) for not using one. Denon has addressed all that with their new Pre Amp Mode. Now, the external amplifiers can be disconnected from the power supply section, thereby allowing all other operating components to receive the purest power and also eliminating any chance of “noise” from the amplifier section infiltrating and potentially degrading the audio/video paths. In a brilliant move, Denon has allowed the Pre Amp Mode optional setting in which selected amplifier channels may also be configured for multi-zone use, while the main zone amplifiers are shut down. This gives users a tremendous amount of flexibility in setting up their system in a variety of ways without compromising fidelity or features.

another notably (among others)

The inclusion of two additional internal amplifier channels over the AVR-4311CI's predecessor makes this receiver a true 9.2 channel system. This gives the user and the installer much more flexibility to use the additional height/width channels now available for in the advanced processing of the latest DSPs or just more flexibility when powering more zones of audio. Denon also claims the AVR-4311CI is expandable to 11.2 channels to handle any future formats wanting to add speakers to the ceiling or the bathroom so you don't miss a beat while doing your business
"first look" found here

enjoy your weekend. PS: if you get your hands on a 4311, be sure to let us know .. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.