Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two TVs that have a broad range of aspect ratio controls. Unfortunately with some signal sources, including HD PVRs, only a subset of the TV controls are available. The most annoying lack is the absence of the basic "zoom" feature that enlarges, for example, a 16/9 program (with black borders top & bottom and left & right) embedded in a 16/9 broadcast.

While not a perfect solution, I have found that the so-called "hardware zoom" feature of some Pace boxes (certainly the Aspen & the Summit), often helps with this problem.

I know that the Motorola 3416s do not have this feature and sjrb has confirmed that the new Motorola DCX3400 also doesn't have this feature.

So what do you Motorola owners do when your TV Zoom/Aspect-ratio controls are inadequate? In particular, does the Motorola DCX3400 provide any help with this at all?

Or am I missing something else obvious?

·
Registered
737 Posts
DCX3400 has option to override and stretch 4:3 480i signal in User Settings menu. Two problems with that. First, it is in User Settings menu which has dreadful access and it's not meant to be changed with "one click on remote control". Second, when activated, it does that to all SD channels, so you don't have an option to sometimes "unzoom" it.

BTW, you can also turn this option "off" and in that case PVR will always send unmodified 480i signal to TV, so you should be able to find appropriate zoom level on your TV. My TV also has restricted set of zoom levels with some signals, but in this case all of them are available. There are some additional options for signal that you can play with, but these are best to be looked at in users manual. It is available here

·
Super Moderator
56,806 Posts
If you use the 480i setting on the Motorola STBs for the 4:3 override, then you'll have access to all the TV stretch modes. It's only when the STB is set to only send 1080i for example, that you don't have that option (for SD channels).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

I don't ever zoom windowboxed programming because the picture quality usually deteriorates too much, so I leave it as is.

For programming on HD channels that's windowboxed, then there may be an issue if you wish to zoom, depending on your STB and your TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074 Stretch Modes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll look at the info that you both have posted. Thanks 753951 and 57.

My main need is not to stretch any images at all but simply to display a "windowboxed" (glad I now know what it's called) 16/9 image full screen?

I am interested in doing this using the Pace Summits, if I remain stuck with those, on my loaner Motorola 3416s if I am stuck with those for much longer and possibly the DCX 3400s if I am given the option of switching to those. I was quite disappointed to lose access to the full aspect ratio controls, for the PVRs, on my older Daytek 32" LCD TV (component) and on a one-year-old Samsung 50" Plasma (HDMI), both remarkably decent TVs for their respective purposes, except for this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts