Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is regarding the new Interac Chip and the technology behind the new use of smart chips in Interac (or Debit as it is more commonly known) and discussion. Please feel free to post in this thread

-your thoughts / feelings of having a chip on your card
-security concerns
-convience (or lack there of)
-do you have a chip card already?

Also, I would like to start a list of merchants that you have come across who are currently using the chipset over the method of swiping.

This is a newer technology to us in North America but has been in Europe for some time.

Here is a little history on Interac from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interac

Thanks for all your help in this thread and discussion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Merchants that I have come across that use the Chip
-LCBO
-Beer Store
-Sobeys
-Canadian Tire
-Metro
-Shoppers Drug Mart

Please feel free to post your experiences and add to the list

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My main issue with it, and I doubt its just me is forgetting the card in the reader. I have done this twice now. Both times at Canadian Tire. Every till has a sign saying do not forget your card. So it must happen a lot. Or its just for me haha.
We are used to giving the card and having it handed back. I am more aware of it now. I always double check I have it before I leave.

In both cases when I had driven away and forgotten the card and went back they had the card locked in the safe which was very nice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Can't say I've done that. You're not paying enough attention :p

The unit clearly says "Remove Card" when the process is done, and every time I use Chip, the cashier hands me the unit and lets me do everything, so it is always facing me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
haven't forgotten mine yet but its sure to happen
my complaint is they seem slow. it takes much more time to read and authorize then the mag strip machines. I happy to wait though after having been scammed of my pin and had my account cleared once before the chip cards came out. I sure hope that they are more secure as they say.

as to a list of stores

much the same as post 2 just add Shoppers Drug Mart Im sure there are more just cant think of them at the moment.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also noticed last time I was at Sobeys when I inserted my card the display read "Thank You, ____ (My Name)_____ Please select your account" and so forth. So the chip is not only set for the account and bank, but also contains your name if not more personal information.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
-Metro
Please feel free to post your experiences and add to the list
Not all stores.

In Thunder Bay.

River Street has it.
Arthur Street does not. They do have the card swipers needed but are not programmed.

I am guessing Thunder Bay Mall does not as it is a smaller store.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The speed of the chip varies from terminal to terminal. I can't remember what store I was in but the transaction was faster than the old swipe method. The whole process couldn't have taken more than 30 secs. Yet a transaction at a restaurant took well over a minute.
I wonder if merchants can purchase priority service for their terminals?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
^^^^
That may depend on how they connect. Some use the internet and some dial up modems.

·
Banned
434 Posts
-LCBO
-Beer Store
-Sobeys
-Canadian Tire
-Metro
-Shoppers Drug Mart
my sobeys and my shoppers do not use it, although they both have brand new readers capable of doing so.

i've had my chip card over a year. i think it will last longer than the magnetic strip so it's good. i've never left it in a machine.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I also noticed last time I was at Sobeys when I inserted my card the display read "Thank You, ____ (My Name)_____ Please select your account" and so forth. So the chip is not only set for the account and bank, but also contains your name if not more personal information.
My current (non chip) card has my name on it.
And my signature.

So.. not sure what's different or so bad about that? Lol

You're also assuming it's stored in the chip and isn't obtained when initiating the connection.
For all you know of the process it could be contacting the bank, verifying the card number is valid and THEN asking you for account type and pin.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Add Pet Valu, Harvey's, Subway and A&W as places that uses it in my neighborhood. The Metro near my home has the hardware, but the chip reader isn't active yet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
what keeps getting me is pulling out the card to soon.

Haven't hear much in awhile on skimming credit cards with the RFID

1 - 19 of 19 Posts