Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a professional custom AV installer and new to Digital Forums. I have recently been asked to design and install a 4 input modulated video system in a small motel that would integrate with the existing cable system.

I have some concerns however regarding what is considered cable co. equipment and what belongs to the motel. Each room is fed analog signal directly from a series of multi taps connecting to the main distribution line in the basement to the TVs in the rooms. The account is setup as a bulk MDU (multi dwelling unit).

I have obviously included low pass filters for each room in the design connected to a short jumper so that no external equipment will "directly" touch the multi tap and so the modulated signals stay internal. I have researched all aspects of this sort of installation including signal leakage as per Industry Canada guidelines and channel spacing and am taking every precaution in the design to not create issues on the cable system.

My question is, are there any real legal concerns in doing this since the physical risers, I am assuming, belong to the motel. I know it is perfectly legal to install a modulator in a house, so I am trying to figure out what the difference is.

I have read up on the Radiocommunication Act and Criminal Code of Canada with regards to this subject. From what I can tell based on the wording I would not be causing disruption or interference or illegally broadcasting anything back onto the system and I will not be altering the main distribution in any way, so will I or the owner get in trouble for this? Has anyone else ever ran into this sort of thing? Just want to get some more info before I move ahead with an install since I do know that the cable co can be militant about some of these sorts of things. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Cable companies claim ownership of the cabling and infrastructure to the set at each outlet. This allows them to charge for extra outlets in each unit, if applicable. In a bulk MDU situation, this may change depending on the agreement with the cable company.

Having said that, I have been at many hotels/motels where they have injected their own service along with what are clearly local cable channels.

I would contact your business representative at the cable company, and explain what you'd like to do. You may also wish to review the contract with the cable company. My thinking is that they'll work with you to find a solution...otherwise your motel may decide to take it's business elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Jase88, I had considered your point about the third party services that exist in hotels, etc. and it is a good one. The install will go ahead as planned! I can't imagine that I will get into any trouble with this anyways, especially given the fact that I spent the better part of a day on the phone with the cable company and not a single person was able to figure out what I was talking about. I could claim my ignorance being due to theirs!lol I don't need their help with a technical solution, I already have that, I just wanted someone to say "Go ahead, you won't have any legal issues with us". I know my system will meet all required standards that would pass any inspection they would conduct, just thought I would see if anyone on this forum had any previous experiences in dealing with cable co. in a similar capacity. Thanks again for the feedback!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts