1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It sure came a long way since, development kept on going. More circuitry than ever in a single chip. Surface mounts ICs, so small that they are beyong resoldering unless workers tiny hands (Asians usually) repair using a microscope. Can you imagine what size an ipod would be using the prior technology? It always amazed me the idea of basically integrating of full circuit in such a small device.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Only 50? It almost feels not right. You'd think it has been around for ages....I know, transistors aren't that old and we used vacuum tubes before....but it still feels unreal that it's only 50 years. :eek:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Only 50? It almost feels not right.
On the opposite, I am in shock to realise it is already that old. I mean, when I was a kid I roughly had encounter with tubes, as a teen age I started to buy my own audio system which were solid state, the transistor technology could do the same with much lower power and already much smaller component and chassis... That was in it self good progress. When I started my electronic training, we barely touched tube technology and spend much greather time studying solid state/transistor technology. When we actually got to the actual trade trainig, some of the newer technology we played with was ICs and ICs, very few transistors! Tons of ICs on a circuit board, unbeleivable. Most newer gear I was working on involved masses of ICs with the odd transistors circutry.

When I run my TV shop, slowly got introduced to surface mounts, the HIGH TECH side gave me a reality check of what technology is really all about, surface mounts and other small components that even the best technicians were challenged when troubleshooting and/or repairing. It hasn't stop since and probably surpassed my ability to do the repairs. It got so small, that my big paws are definitely not to the task anymore (I'd probably need to let my nails grow and sharpen them ;) if I wanted to be able to work on the fine soldering components and tracks of todays circuits!). This was definitely a quick 50 years full of great technolgy development! No wonder, time flies when were having fun :cool:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have a NASA IC catalog from the early 60s, with all the ones they used, or maybe even all the ones in the world LOL. Most only had half a dozen or less components per chip. This cat is ~Gemini vintage, ICs were probably another thing the space program helped to a speedy development.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
ICs were probably another thing the space program helped to a speedy development.
I definitely agree, many of the technology advances are directly related to space programs development.

I have a NASA IC catalog from the early 60s, with all the ones they used, or maybe even all the ones in the world LOL.
I'd keep that catalog in good shape if I were you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts