Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its hard to find stand alone ROKU with proper HDMI ports in Canada. I installed the ROKU HDR stick on the back of my
YAMAHA amp, on port 1. The power cable/ wifi antenna that plugs into the stick is just the right length to clear the amp and stand upright for a good signal.

This is the only ROKU that i have used that has a good picture on it , have used ROKU 3 and the new $50 4k roku box.
Have used a 4k firestick , to many issues with it amazon apps that can not be uninstalled, half page add for amazon prime videos on my home screen. Lack of storage space on the 8 gb flash storage for apps, have had TUBI TV crash on the stick. Had one crash were the whole screen turned green, had to unplug it to reboot it. Small banner adds for McDonalds on my home screen. Amazon is missing too many streaming apps on the fire stick.

Amazon has lost all future amazon branded hardware sales from me.

A chromecast might work on a reciever as well, must be a nightmare to shove the chromecast hockey puck behind your reciever.

Check your hdmi port placement on the reciever before buying a streaming stick to make shure it will fit and that the wifi on the stick will not be blocked by the reciever , before buying the streaming stick.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Chromecast has a short cable so placement of the puck is flexible. For other devices, a short HDMI extension cable might work. Ninety degree angle HDMI adapters are also available. If good picture quality is desired, be sure to obtain the latest 4K HDR devices and subscribe to HD or 4K services.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is the receiver HDMI 1.3 compliant, aka eliminating HDCP handshaking nonsense for things plugged into the Yamaha's HDMI inputs? My eight year old Yamaha is only HDMI 1.0, and when I hook up a cable box to it, HDCP handshaking warnings pop up everytime I hit that source. Had to buy a HDCP stripping box for $20 to make it go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts