Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

681 - 700 of 719 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Key is given by property manager of my apartment.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Half the job is finding the room and then finding out how to get into the room. It really gets frustrating. Used to be we almost always had a key in a lock box but now it is pretty rare to have a lock box with a key in it with all of the heightened security. The real frustrating ones are security people (usually office buildings) who figure we have nothing better than to book with them 24 to 48 hours ahead of time for access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Telus Optik TV with Speakercraft IR Repeater

I am looking to switch to Telus Optik TV. Currently I have all of my components in a media room with a Speakercraft IR repeaters being used to relay the signal from the TV room to the media room. I borrowed a box from a friend and tried to turn it off and on from the TV room through the IR Repeater and it seemed to have trouble getting the signal.

Does anybody know if these two systems are compatiable? Is there a trick to how I set this up?

Thank you for the help,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Will the STB work correctly if you're not subscribed? You said it's borrowed, so I'm not sure "if" it would work correctly in your situation.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
The STB should at least power on and off. You can confirm that it works by pointing the remote directly at the STB.

·
Registered
458 Posts
well after just over 3 months i have decided to come back to Optik tv + internet. Atleast it should be an easy install as all the lines are still there. I am not going with a contract and am buying the cis430. lol what have i done. They are coming out on the 10th to do installation.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I can't recall why you left Blintok? Wasn't it the price increases to TV and DSL? If so, what has brought you back again?

·
Registered
458 Posts
wasnt so much price as Telus/Shaw pricing pretty much same now. Main thing that scared me off was the drop of the allowed bandwidth to 250GB from 500 and the $2/GB overage charge.

But now atleast if they do start (to charge) i have an easy out (no contract) and can go back to Shaw (for internet) and keep Optik for TV.

Also just was not happy with the Shaw channel selection availability. Many of the HD channels i did not get (new added one H2 as example) because my area not been DNU'd (Digital Network Upgrade) and all i am told is "soon" - other "missing" channels are the HIFI HD line up and 2 of the movie central HD channels. So Shaw telling me how they have added lots of HD is meaningless if i cant get them.

Hate the old guide on the 3400box and the 3510 is still buggy. I always liked the Telus guide and the new features in the 2.3 update kind of was incentive to come back.

also it did not hurt that the current promotion where i can get Large & Internet 25 for 80$/month for 6 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive been looking to switch from Shaw to Telus for my TV and internet.

One question I have though is regarding the setup of these boxes. The most annoying thing about Shaw is that you have to have coaxial cable access wherever you wanted TV. Unfortunately, I dont have coaxial cable in the right places.

I have, however, utilized Powerline plugs to bring internet connectivity to all my rooms. This way, I am able to get network access to all my HTPCs. My question is this: will the Optik system be able to piggyback on my existing home network?

Or will it need a dedicated network to run?

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
so the installation went well. installer showed up on time, as i suspected it would be, it was a super easy install. Everything from my previous Optik time (acct closed in feb 2013) was still in place. It was pretty much plug it in and turn it on. 30 minutes and it was done. Very happy to have come back. The first thing i noticed was how crisp and clear the HD looked.

I do not mind the new remote, the only minor thing i find is you have to be pointing the remote right at the box to get it to work. I guess it is infrared instead of RF? It was same with old remote so it must be a telus (cis430) thing.

The only other thing i noticed that was different was when i had optik installed 3yrs ago they setup internet including email - the installer had a laptop and made sure all was well and i had email up.

This time it was pretty much, plug it all in. yes it works. yes you can get on webpages. all is well. call (a number i was given) if you want help to set up email.

one other thing - and it just may be i am missing a setting - but i recall reading in the 2.3 update thread about "SD-HD Equivalence = if you select a SD channel to watch where there is an equivilent HD channel available a pop up will suggest it"

i tuned to a sd station (movietime) and i got no pop up to suggest the HD movietime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Telus Installation Questions

Hi all,

First off, I just want to say thanks for all the information you guys provide here. I always appreciate being able to look up other's experiences to make mine easier.

I'm getting Telus basic IPTV and Optik 50 installed this Friday in my new house. I just moved in and had a good look at what is pre-existing in the house. Right now, there are cat 5e cables all running into the powercabinet, with a fiberoptic drop coming in.

I have a couple of questions, which I could probably get answered after a long discussion with technicians and even then it might not be the right answer.

1. Will the installation technician re-terminate the cat 5e connections at the box into RJ45s? Will they terminate the user-end on the walls to RJ45? Currently they are behind wall plates and are not terminated.

2. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that they will provide switches when you get an installation. Is this true, or should I go and purchase the necessary switches for my network.

3. Currently my TV setup in the living room has an RG6 with no cat5e in the correct location. Would the technician install a new box and run a cat5e for me, or is this something that I should do myself beforehand. I want to put a switch in the living room to feed my ps3, xbox, wii, and TV.

4. I've read that you could use the STB's out if it is connected on RG6, but that option seems like a workaround solution. Would it be feasible, or should I just run a new cat5e?

For anyone interested, I'm getting both the basic optik tv and optik 50 internet for 55/month on a 1 yr tv contract. One STB is provided.

Again, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
@nguy467: When I had my Optik TV installed:

1. Yes, they terminated the cat5e for me.
2. Yes, they provided a switch.
3. The technician will probably just use the existing RG6.
4. Done that with one of my non-pvr STB. There is only RG6 in the room and I needed to connect an old non-wifi xbox360. I have no problem with it because I'm either watching TV or on the xbox. But, I don't recommend doing this on a pvr STB.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
4. It will work, but if you can run a new cat5e, you should. The Telus modem will give QOS priority to TV traffic over things like Xbox downloads if the TV boxes are separate from the other devices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait for the tech to terminate the cat5 on both ends and run a new cat5 to the living room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tech terminated one bedroom for me and ran a cat 5 to the living room. He said its bit normally done, but the access was very easy so he did it anyway.

I'm getting 25/4.4 over wireless all over the house. Very impressed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Installation question(s)

Changing from Shaw Direct to Optik next Wednesday 18th Dec. I have a "neat" wiring system now and am curious about what wires specifically come from my modem to the TV.. Evidently the "bundle" comes installed but if there are wires to run I would prefer to do them myself prior to the installer doing it.. false ceilings to move.. wires to fish to outlets.. outlets to install.
So.. assuming my modem stays where it is from there to the TV.. are the wires cat5.. coax.. telephone?
Currently I have a cat5 cable from the modem to a router that splits the signal to my Boxee and TV. Will I be able to use this line for Optik.. and my Boxee?
Any other issues that I should be aware of prior to the installer coming to do his magic?
Thank you for your time

681 - 700 of 719 Posts