Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

661 - 680 of 719 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
macdzich,

How long does it take to install the fibre optic line? I heard some people say it would take several hours. Wait, you're saying it could just be installed using coax? What about the Optik internet? I thought that would require fibre optics? Sorry, still a little confused.

Wow, that sucks about the Gold requirement. Microsoft sure are greedy buggers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They "can" use coax, but would prefer to use CAT5e wherever possible. If you want to use the XBOX, it requires a hardwired connection, as it can't use wireless for Optik.

You could always remove the coax cable, if you really want the install with CAT5e. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
macdzich,
What about the Optik internet? I thought that would require fibre optics? Sorry, still a little confused.
The fibre optic line usually goes to a neighborhood node. The connection from the node to your home uses the existing copper phone line.

Even if you have Fiber to the Home, the signal is distributed throughout the house using coax or Cat5.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is correct. Telus will mostly likely have fibre in new subdivisions. Telus also retrofit older neighborhoods with fibre too - those are killers to install. That being said with newer homes, builders will run all your cables, cat5 and coax to a main distribution panel, makes life a whole lot easier for us installers. For a fibre connection, you have the optical network terminal (ONT) and from that it connect to the Actiontec with a patch cable and then from there its either cat5 or coax to the STBs. When I do XBOX installs, I usually run cat5 to the XBOX, thus eliminating the HCNA converter which can be faulty at times. I've done fibre installs where customer only wanted 3Megs internet (yes you can laugh with me) while others are getting 50Megs with 18Megs upload speed.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Optik tv alone?

Anyone tell me whether Telus will now offer services individually? I would like optik tv medium package. They never use to offer Tv by itself?

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think that you still need to have either ADSL or a Phone Line to get Optik TV. I am not 100% certain though. Going back to Optik again?!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
LOL....well to be completely honest after a few switches back and forth as you probably know. :). I really miss the HD east canadian feeds. Dont ask why but i just do. And it seems telus offers more HD options if i need. I only watch HD. But those HD cdn feeds i miss. Internet wise....i havent noticed much difference between the two.

I will have to inquire and see what i can get for what im paying to shaw now.

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
You don't have to subscribe to internet to get Optik, as I was able to build a solution for just Optik online. You could easily go for an Optik/Internet bundle if you don't need a home phone, or bundle in all 3 and save, but I'm sure TELUS would love to have you back regardless of what you take. If you get an installation by March 31st, the website shows a $100 bill credit, which is pretty good.

Personally, I'm on 3HD/1SD with the 50M Internet service, and I never see a drop in speed, regardless how many TVs are going.

And yes, I do love all the HD...with more on the way.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes 50mb available where i am as well. Not that i need it. Anyways i called and price to high for med/25mb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thinking about switching to Telus TV/Internet.

Currently with Shaw for TV/Internet

All TV's have coax going from the wall to their respective tv boxes. So I see no issue there as telus TV can use the same connections

What I would like to know is how can I keep my desktop computer hardwired and not wireless... currently I have the Shaw cable modem sitting beside my computer so no issues. But If I switch to Telus i'm assuming that it would require a phone jack VS a coax cable connection.. Where my computer is located there are no phone jacks.

I live in a townhouse and in my garage I have the telephone box and cable box (where the wires from the street come into the house) side-by-side.

Is there a way to make this work? Running a new cable would be next to impossible as theres no way to access anything in the walls.

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You could check behind the coax outlet in your den on the outside chance that there's an unterminated cat5 in there.

Is there a phone jack on the opposite side of the wall from your computer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could check behind the coax outlet in your den on the outside chance that there's an unterminated cat5 in there.

Is there a phone jack on the opposite side of the wall from your computer?
Sadly No extra cables behind the coax.

There is a phone jack on the other side of the room but not really in an ideal place if I have to run a cat5 cable around the room the computer.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to settle on wireless.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If it's carpet, you can sometimes fit a cord under the molding. If it's hardwood, you can pull the molding off and run in along a table saw to cut a channel. It's a bit of work, but there's always ways to hide wire.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
apartment telephone room access?

Gosh I feel so bad and its now 11pm PST. I am suppose to have Telus Optik installed in my "apartment" tomorrow inbetween 8-10am.

And I forgot to ask my landlord/property manager for the key to the telephone room :(

I have so many issues going on this week I forgot about the "key" :( and its too late to call and cancel.

Do they "absolutely" need in that room? I had Optik about 3-4 months ago if that helps.

Thanks and sorry for the late post. Maybe someone is awake still to answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It really depends.
Seeing you had Optik TV before there might not be a need to get into the phoneroom.

All you can do is try.
Yes, you can cancel before installation, but it will mean a lengthy delay if you want a new date.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ya :( I guess I will wait for the installer and ask him. I feel bad :( that I didn't remember earlier so I could call to cancel appointment.

Its late now to cancel so I will wait.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You would think the installers have keys to the lock boxes in the building that contain the key to the electrical room?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yay! No need for the installer to access the telephone room! All set up now.

Very good service.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Every (Telus) installer has keys or code to the lock box. There just has to be a key in there. A lot of times the key is missing.

661 - 680 of 719 Posts