Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2581 - 2600 of 2644 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Bell 9242 receiver. It began to pixilate on the HD channels. Running the cable from the dish direct to input Sat 1 the signal was fine. Hooking up to both inputs Sat 1 and sat 2 via a splitter the signal pixilates. I have replaced all my cables and replaced the splitter. Still no change. Hooking directly to Sat 1 input I cannot watch one channel and PVR another. Is there a part that needs to be replaced in the unit. Thanks

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
you are not suppose to use a cable tv splitter, you either need a second line from your switch if you have a legacy switch, or if you have modern DPP equiptment, you need a DPP Separator, which looks like a splitter but does band stacking

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I had a PVR 9241 in the basement hooked up to one of the 91 outputs on a dpp. On a separate dish with a single LNB I had an old 3100 receiver hooked up. Today I removed the old single LNB dish from the roof and put that cable onto the other 91 port on the dpp to be used at a later time. I moved the PVR 9241 upstairs and removed the old 3100. I made no other changes or adjustments to the dish or LNB. Now I can only get a signal on Sat 82 (65-75%), zero signal on Sat 91 and when I do a check switch test it gives a 836 error message saying I now have fewer satellites than previously detected and if I save I will have fewer channels. So for now I only have HD channels and none of the SD channels are working. Any ideas? What the heck happened?

Edit - I found my old signal finder and went back up on the roof today. After a few trips up and down the ladder and some tweaking with the dish I now have both sats around 90% so I'm happy again. (y)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I just received a 9242 receiver I have 2 LNBFS so I just hook them into a SW21 and I’m just going to use this with 1 tv and this will work?
Sounds like you have legacy LNBs. You should change them to a dual DPP. This will allow the single cable to be used to feed the TWO tuner in the 9242 with a DPP separator. The current setup you have will only allow one tuner to be used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all - I have been through most of the threads on the 9400 & Bell hookups, and have tried most of the suggestions, but my issue has me stumped.

I have legacy equipment, 4 lines from the LNB's, through 2 way splitters into 2 SW44 switches. Everything has been running fine for 10+ years & is still fine with the exception of a 9400 receiver I just got from my brother. I have 2 9242's, & 2 6400's currently hooked up. They all see both 82 & 91.

I ran a second RG6 line to my office where I wanted to test the 9400 before installing it in it's final home in the house. When I check signal level on the 6400 in the office, everything is fine on both lines, but when I hook up the 9400, all it sees is 82. I tried installing the 9400 in my living room where it will be replacing a 9242 and the same thing - it only sees 82. A couple of times I have had the 9400 see & lock on to satellite 91 on 1 of the inputs in the office, but it doesn't stay.

My brother also had it installed with legacy equipment, but only 1 SW44, so no 2 way splitters.

I have tried using 2 lines from either one of my SW44's and one from each, and even hooked up a spare switch and the result is always the same. I have done the check switch with nothing connected to the 9400 & then re-connected and it still only sees 82. Signal level is 95% or higher on both LNB's on the other receivers.

I haven't tried disconnecting the splitters & going directly from the 4 LNB's into single switch - need to make up some longer cables to do that, but will try that shortly.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
your 9400 might have been programmed with a different switch, you should disconnect all the lines to it, run a check switch, you will get some kind of error, save it,then connect the lines, run another check switch, save the results and it should work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
your 9400 might have been programmed with a different switch, you should disconnect all the lines to it, run a check switch, you will get some kind of error, save it,then connect the lines, run another check switch, save the results and it should work.
I have done that once already, but may try it in the location I am planning on keeping it to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm upgrading my current Bell SD 4100 receivers to Bell HD 6500's. I'm having an issue getting one of the two new Bell 6500 HD receivers to work. It looks like its due to a long cable run between LNB and receiver. I'm using a DPP quad LNB with about 250 feet of RG6 to the receiver that isn't working. My other HD 6500 receiver fed from the same DPP quad LNB that is working has a shorter cable run of about 80 feet and has great signal on both 82 and 91 satellites. The original SD 4100 works perfect on the longer cable run. The new HD 6500 is not locking on the 82 satellite. I have tried switching ports on LNB and using a 20db inline satellite amplifier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Has switching the receivers been tried? If that fails, try checking the connections for leakage or corrosion and replacing them with good compression connectors if needed. Don't know the setup but installing a DPP switch at a point closer to both receivers may help. Satellite signal amplifiers may be available for long cable runs. If that route is taken, make sure it is designed for Dish/Bell DPP equipment. Another option may be to install a lower loss cable such as RG11.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has switching the receivers been tried? If that fails, try checking the connections for leakage or corrosion and replacing them with good compression connectors if needed. Don't know the setup but installing a DPP switch at a point closer to both receivers may help. Satellite signal amplifiers may be available for long cable runs. If that route is taken, make sure it is designed for Dish/Bell DPP equipment. Another option may be to install a lower loss cable such as RG11.
Thanks for the help! Switching new HD receivers has been tried. No change. Only the original SD 4100 receiver will work. SD 4100 locks on to satellite 91 with about 96% signal strength. LNB is DPP Quad which to my understanding should not need any switches. Same dish and DPP Quad LNB on my other new HD 6500 receiver using a shorter cable run of about 80 feet works great with 82 and 91 satellite signal strength in the high 90 %. The longer RG6 cable is about 250 feet. Cable connector ends look good. If cable quality or condition was the issue should this not also be a problem for the SD 4100 ?

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Some receivers are more sensitive and there may be other issues such as DC voltage drop on the line to power the LNB. A switch may be beneficial if it results in a shorter length of cable to the more distant receiver. It may also boost the signal and provide a better DC voltage level to the LNB. Don't know the exact layout but if adding a switch results in an 80' shorter run to the more distant receiver then it may help. It may also allow the addition of more receivers with less RG6.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some receivers are more sensitive and there may be other issues such as DC voltage drop on the line to power the LNB. A switch may be beneficial if it results in a shorter length of cable to the more distant receiver. It may also boost the signal and provide a better DC voltage level to the LNB. Don't know the exact layout but if adding a switch results in an 80' shorter run to the more distant receiver then it may help. It may also allow the addition of more receivers with less RG6.
Just to clarify. What type of switch would I need to install and at what point In the 250 foot RG6 cable run? Approximately 2/3 of the cable is buried. Would this require a different LNB set up than the current DPP Quad? Possibly Legacy LNB’s with a switch 44.? Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
A DPP44 switch is required for the DPP Quad LNB. The use of the switch depends on the two cables going to a common location that is closer to the distant receiver. If they don't then the a line amp would likely be a better solution. That would need to be placed as close to the dish as possible. If neither of those works then I would look at another solution such as upgraded wiring. First, I would look into what might be causing any possible issue with the current wiring such as voltage drop, damage or water ingress. That might determine what type of cable could make improvements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A DPP44 switch is required for the DPP Quad LNB. The use of the switch depends on the two cables going to a common location that is closer to the distant receiver. If they don't then the a line amp would likely be a better solution. That would need to be placed as close to the dish as possible. If neither of those works then I would look at another solution such as upgraded wiring. First, I would look into what might be causing any possible issue with the current wiring such as voltage drop, damage or water ingress. That might determine what type of cable could make improvements.
Do all DPP Quad LNB’s require a DPP Switch 44 or is this only required to boost the voltage to the LNB with the long cable run? My current set up does not have any external switches and is working with the shorter run. Both cables from the Quad LNB to each receiver do run to a common location that would shorten my longer cable run by about 50 feet. 110 Volt receptacle is also available for power. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
A switch is not usually required for up to four receivers but it should solve the issue in this case by providing more stable power to the LNB and shortening the long run of RG6. That assumes that the issue is simply due to cable length and not something else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A switch is not usually required for up to four receivers but it should solve the issue in this case by providing more stable power to the LNB and shortening the long run of RG6. That assumes that the issue is simply due to cable length and not something else.
When installing the DPP SW 44, how many ports will need to be utilized on the DPP Quad LNB? I’m assuming I will need 2 cables between LNB and SW 44 to pick up both 91 and 82 ? Also, would the DPP SW 44 serve as a grounding point for the RG6 cables? I’m not 100 % sure both RG6 cables are currently grounded?

Thanks again

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Two line are required from the DPP SW44 to the DPP QUAD LNB. There are wiring diagrams for various setups in the Bell installation thread. The switch should have a grounding connection. Run a #10 copper wire to a common grounding point such as the one used by the building wiring.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
If you need 4 outputs, you can also get a way with it by using a DPP Twin LNB (which has 2 outputs) instead of a Quad LNB, and then connect the two outputs to a DPP 44 Switch, then it will give you 4 outputs from the switch to your 4 receivers.

Some people might want to do it this way it might be cleaner, less wires running from the dish, and then you can have longer runs because the switch does kind of boost the signal a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you need 4 outputs, you can also get a way with it by using a DPP Twin LNB (which has 2 outputs) instead of a Quad LNB, and then connect the two outputs to a DPP 44 Switch, then it will give you 4 outputs from the switch to your 4 receivers.

Some people might want to do it this way it might be cleaner, less wires running from the dish, and then you can have longer runs because the switch does kind of boost the signal a bit.
Thanks for the help! I’m only needing 2 HD single tuner Bell 6500 receivers to work. I currently have 1 working without any issues. However, my second receiver that is on a longer RG6 run of about 250 feet will not pick up both satellites? The SD 4100 receiver it is replacing works without any issues….. I’m hoping the DPP SW 44 will do the trick?

2581 - 2600 of 2644 Posts