Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2561 - 2580 of 2585 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The SW44 won't work with a 9500. DPP equipment is required. A DPP quad LNB is the first step. If a switch is still required (but likely won't be) then a DPP switch is required. The new connections will be one RG6 direct from the DPP quad LNB to the receivers for up to 4 receivers. Receivers with two coax inputs will require a DPP separator. There should be pinned threads with diagrams in the Bell Satellite installation forum but they may be more complicated than necessary.
Thanks, will the 6400 work with the DPP quad LNB?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any Bell satellite receiver made in the last 10+ years will work with DPP.
The SW44 won't work with a 9500. DPP equipment is required. A DPP quad LNB is the first step. If a switch is still required (but likely won't be) then a DPP switch is required. The new connections will be one RG6 direct from the DPP quad LNB to the receivers for up to 4 receivers. Receivers with two coax inputs will require a DPP separator. There should be pinned threads with diagrams in the Bell Satellite installation forum but they may be more complicated than necessary.
Thanks for the help ExDilbert! DDP Quad LNB arrived yesterday, I connected it up directly to both receivers and it works perfectly. It also allowed me to remove the SW44, clean up the cabling and eliminate the coax that the installer drill a hole through the side of my house to install.
Anyone need a SW44 and legacy LNBs?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It is very simple.
Connect one end of the cable to one of the outputs of the dish.
Connect the other end to the sat in of the receiver.
Do check switch via menu options 6,1,1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Bell 3100 Receiver was told I had to upgrade. I now have a 9242 Receiver. I'm using the dish that came with 3100 Receiver so I just use a SW-21 switch so I don't have to run another cable?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
SW21 suggests you have two single legacy LNB joined with an sw21. You should have a DPP LNB if you want one cable otherwise you can only use one tuner of the 9242. Then you use a DPP separator at the 9242 to divide the signal to the two tuners.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
The 3100 was supplied with an oval dish originally. The dish itself may need to be replaced. If the current dish has two LNBs, a twin LNB or room for a second LNB then it's an oval dish. In any case, it will be necessary to either run a second cable and add two sw21s or a legacy sw44 with two legacy LNBs, or a DPP LNB and DPP separator for the 9242. Installing DPP equipment is recommended since newer dual tuner receivers require it. On the outside change that the existing LNB is a DPP dual, just a DPP separator is needed. Using the existing setup with one cable will work for one tuner but may cause issues. Be sure to perform a check switch after making any changes.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I vaguely remember, you can do something to the 9242 to keep it running on one tuner, when I first got mine, I was missing the DPP Separator so I only had one coax input connected. I remember doing something in the settings, cant remember what exactly, but it allowed me to use it normally until I sourced a DPP Separator. I had a DPP LNB already so there was nothing out side for me to change

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 3100 was supplied with an oval dish originally. The dish itself may need to be replaced. If the current dish has two LNBs, a twin LNB or room for a second LNB then it's an oval dish. In any case, it will be necessary to either run a second cable and add two sw21s or a legacy sw44 with two legacy LNBs, or a DPP LNB and DPP separator for the 9242. Installing DPP equipment is recommended since newer dual tuner receivers require it. On the outside change that the existing LNB is a DPP dual, just a DPP separator is needed. Using the existing setup with one cable will work for one tuner but may cause issues. Be sure to perform a check switch after making any changes.
Why would it cause issues? I’m only using it for 1 tv. It does have a second LNB? I just have the one on it now. Would it be a issue to just have Two LNBs and 1 SW-21. Would I run into issues?

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
It should be OK if configured correctly with a check switch. The number of TVs is not relevant. The main issue would be loss of a second tuner. That would mean not being able to watch one channel while recording another and not being able to record two programs concurrently. It would still be possible to watch a recorded program while recording another. Having a PVR is a game changer for watching TV due to the ability to record and time shift. I seldom watch live TV anymore and often record shows that are scheduled at the same time.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Just one coax is required with DPP. That would be a DPP LNB for one tuner. Add a DPP separator for two tuners with the 9242 or 9241. No switch is required. I believe some of the newer receivers don't require a separator since it's built in but they do require a DPP LNB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just one coax is required with DPP. That would be a DPP LNB for one tuner. Add a DPP separator for two tuners with the 9242 or 9241. No switch is required. I believe some of the newer receivers don't require a separator since it's built in but they do require a DPP LNB.
I may have a DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF and all I would do is just put the cable into the LNBF in?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Actually the third coax connector on the DPP Twin is not an RF in for Antenna, it is not used in Canada, it is an input to connect another satellite to this lnb for a different satellite in the usa

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I recall an LNB with an RF in for OTA when DISH provided local stations using an antenna for use with the 9200 which had an OTA tuner. That method was abandoned when DISH put locals on satellite and started charging for them. I'd guess it predated the DPP Twin. In any event, the coax going to the receiver connects to the SAT OUT, not the input.

2561 - 2580 of 2585 Posts