Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My parents' house has an existing Bell Expressvu dish from way back when. It is mounted on top of their house, and has a single LNB (probably pointing to 91). It was connected to a single receiver in the house.

So in coming back to Bell many years later, I purchased two 6131 receivers and tried to install it in their house for them. I thought I could just connect one receiver to the existing coax connection (this would be the first receiver), and perhaps just split the connection (and wire this new connection to the second receiver).

I connected the first receiver, did a check switch, and it seemed to be running fine (no HD content, though). Additional note: this receiver also has a External Hard Drive connected to it, making it into a PVR.

I then used a old splitter they had laying around (it took an incoming signal and split it into 3 signals, but I only use 2 of the outgoing signals while the 3rd one goes unused). The second receiver seemed to be working for a little while, I ran a check switch and then I could watch TV. But then, after connecting the second receiver, I've been having strange issues.

Unfortunately, it was at this point I had to leave their house, and now I'm only able to troubleshoot with my parents over the phone.

The second receiver was running by the time I left, but I had noticed this strange not-powering-on issue on the first receiver just before I left. I had naturally assumed it just needed a few minutes to boot up again, so I just left without doing anything further. That was yesterday.

But then upon speaking with my parents today, they are telling me that *both* receivers don't power up anymore (and in fact, they reconnected their old Cogeco cable since they didn't have anything to watch!). I wouldn't have thought that the incoming signal would affect whether the receivers would power on or not. Basically, whereas normally upon plugging in the receiver turns them on automatically, they just don't turn on.

My goal is just to get these two receivers up and running on 91, then with an old LNB I have sitting around, I want to eventually set up at least one of the receivers with HD (only one of the TV is an HDTV, the other is an old CRT). They may upgrade their CRT eventually, but not right now. What I would do with that second LNB is secure/fasten it to the first one (right beside it), and then run both LNBs into an old switch I have (that I used to use when I owned a Coolsat 6000 HD), and eventually to the receiver(s).

The only other piece of information that I think might be relevant is that there a really long distance of cable that my parents have running from the dish on top of the house to their basement, and them the basement up to the living room (HDTV) and to their bedroom (CRT).

What could be the problem? Is it the connection equipment I'm using? Does the length of coax make a difference? Do I need a signal booster for two receivers or something like that?

Your help is greatly appreciated! It took me hours to hook everything up, and it's sad that I wasn't able to get it running by the time I left :(

I also read these forums for a couple of hours, but couldn't find anything that pertained to my particular situation.

mattchoo

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well first you cannot use splitters in the way you have they just will not work, period. To run 2 receivers from one Dish you have to connect 2 lines from the LNBF, one to each Receiver.

This will only provide SD from 91, to include HD, you will need either an SW21, to take signals from 82 and combine with the 91 signals, or use a DPP Twin LNBF that is made to pick up BOTh birds. This is of course only possible if the Dish has the "Y" yolk to accept 2 normal LNBF's.

Coax length will make a difference but as long as it is RG6 and under 125 feet it shoule work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks so much for your quick reply. You rock!

Connecting the two receivers in the manner that I have them currently configured... would that actually prevent them from powering on, though? That seems like an odd consequence.

I will advise my dad to disconnect the second receiver and see if that will rectify the problem in the short term.

Would the LNB currently installed on the BEV dish have an extra coax connection available in order to run another coax cable from it to the second receiver? That would be a simple short term solution.

And then for the first receiver (for HD), I could run the first LNB (91) and second LNB (82) thru the existing SW21 switch that I have, and then run that to the first receiver.

Would that work?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is possible that it has shorted them out, you will have been pushing 18v out of each of them at the same time or 18v on one and 13v on the other, so it is possible. I would just disconnect and hope for the best, they are pretty robust compared to the old FTA units.

Chances are it will have 2 Coax ports.

Yes that is exactly how to connect both LNBF's, just make sure it is an SW21 and not a Diseq switch, as that will not work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, will tell them to disconnect second receiver and cross my fingers!

You're right... I just called my mom, and she told me that the switch I left with her was a Diseqc 2.0 GD-41A switch. How did you know that??? :) When I googled SW21, I seriously thought that was the switch I had left at my parents' place!! :)

In your opinion, would it make sense to just get a SW42 instead? That would future-proof if/when my parents upgrade their CRT to an HDTV.

Next: when I had my Coolsat 6000 HD, I literally just took a clamp and clamped the second LNB to the first one. Would a "Y" yolk do the same thing, but be much cleaner?

Where would be the best place to go buy a SW21/SW42/Y-Yolk? And how should I be looking to spend? Or do many existing threads already answer this question? If so, please feel free to let me know as such! (any direction to particular threads would be great too!)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are asking about installing a "Y" yolk I am guessing that the Dish is an 18" one, in which case, get a new 20" one that will accept the "Y" yolk correctly and give the best possible signals.

If they are only ever going to have 2 receivers, I would get a DPP Twin LNBF, it will feed 2 receivers with signals from BOTH birds.

The on-line auction site is a good place to start for the parts you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Pinza,

I tried searching Craigslist and Kijiji for DPP Twin LNBs. Instead of Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBs, I've come across Dish Pro Twin LNBs, and Dishnet Legacy Twin LNBs... would either one of those be sufficient for my needs? (I will only ever need two receivers, and those receivers are 6131s).

If so, how do I install this Twin LNB to the satellite dish arm? Do I still need to purchase a y-bracket?

If indeed I have a 18" dish, will that be sufficient? I don't really want to buy another dish if it's not necessary.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks Pinza,
mattchoo

·
Registered
292 Posts
the dp twin should be fine I beleive the only difference in the dpp and the dp is the dpp has an input port (dn used this to add a dish pointed at 61.5 for hd before they started using the 1000.4's on the eastern arc)
you'll need a new dish in order to skew it for both 91/82 and maintain an exceptable height once it's skewed. rain fade/poor signal quality could be a big issue if you used 1 18" dish for both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pinza, your PM box is full!

Anyway, I'm really trying to use up my existing equipment. How would I know if my parents have a 18" or 20" dish (short of actually going up on the roof and measuring it)?

·
Registered
292 Posts
if there is no Y bracket on the dish it's most likely an 18" aside from that it will just look really small and there won't be much bulk behind the dish.
the 18" dish won't have a skew plate which is needed to obtain both 91 and 82.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dp twin should be fine I beleive the only difference in the dpp and the dp is the dpp has an input port (dn used this to add a dish pointed at 61.5 for hd before they started using the 1000.4's on the eastern arc)
you'll need a new dish in order to skew it for both 91/82 and maintain an exceptable height once it's skewed. rain fade/poor signal quality could be a big issue if you used 1 18" dish for both.
Makes sense! Luckily I have a 20" dish sitting around from when I used to have a Coolsat 6000HD pointed at BEV 91 and 82. But it only had a single LNB mounted on the dish arm, and then I literally took a clamp and clamped the second LNB to the first one :| (didn't know at the time that you could get a bracket)

Do you see any issues with getting a used DP Twin LNB for $20? I found one on Kijiji.

He said he also offers a y-bracket for $7. I would need that as well, correct? Sounds like my cheapest option overall, and where I can make use of all my old equipment!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need help to connect twin LNB to 2 HD receivers

I need help in connecting a twin LNB to 2 HD receivers. There are 3 coax terminals the LNB. Which ones do I use? I have a sw21 swith. Do I need dissect sw to connect the 2 receivers?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you have a DPP Twin, you do not need any other switch.

Yes there are 3 "F" connectors on the LNBF, the one on its own, is marked as an INput and should not be used.

Connect your 2 x HD Receivers directly to the other 2 "F" Connectors and then run a "Check Switch".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts