Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sanyo projector hooked up to my PS3 via HDMI. My PS3 is hooked up to my Denon AVR790 receiver via optical cable. We have surround speakers and two subwoofers hooked up to the amp. All of these are plugged into a Monster power bar. In the middle of watching a movie, the sound just cut in and out and something flashed on the receiver then the sound was gone completely; not even sound from the radio tuner. Not sure if we had a power surge, but there was thunder and lightning at the time and none of our equipment lost power, just the sound. From my description of our home theater setup, can somebody please tell me what settings my receiver should have in order to use the optical/digital cable for sound. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Firstly, you should probably unplug everything for a while to see if a "reset" works. Also, you should know that in order to get HD audio from the PS3, you need to use an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the AVR, set the PS3 to send LPCM (under Video settings - yes Video). Then HDMI from the AVR to the FP instead of from the PS3 to the FP. This assumes you've got the fat PS3 and not the new slim PS3, which can bitstream HDMI audio.

Most people would connect the HDMI from the PS3 to the "DVD" (or other appropriate HDMI) input on the AVR, with another HDMI cable from the "Monitor Out" of the AVR to the TV (in your case the FP) and there should be nothing you need to "assign" - simply tune to the DVD (or other appropriate) input (that's assuming you haven't removed HDMI from the "assignment" section of the user menu). When you first plug the HDMI into the PS3, it usually asks if you wish to use that cable...

Then check out the following post regarding AVR features - near the end on HD audio:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

1 - 2 of 2 Posts