Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since MTS upgraded to Mediaroom version 1.6.25314.10 I've noticed a new Mediaroom bug.

The INFO menu will pop up on the TV for no reason. The INFO menu is the Program Info/Summary screen you get when you press the INFO button on the remote. You can get rid of the menu by either pressing the EXIT button or OK to "Resume play".

I've had Ultimate TV since January and never had the problem before the version update, so it's not a problem with stray signals or accidental button presses. I've seen the INFO screen pop up 2 or 3 times over the weekend when I was not using the remote and once when I was in the other room.

So far I've only seen this on recorded programs, but that's not surprising since less than 10% of my viewing is "live" TV. The last time this happened I tried to recreate the problem by rewinding the program about a minute and watching that segment again, but the INFO screen didn't pop up the second time. So it's more complicated than just a byte sequence in the data stream that is causing the popup.

This problem has also been reported in the Bell Fibe TV forum, so we know it's a software bug and not just an MTS problem. Bell has been running Mediaroom 1.6.25314 at least since it's official launch. Several people have reported the problem on both recorded and live TV.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Don't be too sure that it's not stray IR, as discussed in the following sticky.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

Firmware updates can affect the sensitivity of the IR sensor. This was recently proven with a BTV update that caused similar issues. That link is included in the above. Be aware that all sorts of devices can emit stray IR, as mentioned in the sticky, not just LCDs or CFLs - the Sun or Plasmas are other common sources of this issue.

Proper optimization of the TV settings is often the first thing to try (certainly moving away from the default mode for the TV as an experiment, and ultimately for better PQ too). One other option that worked with the BTV situation was to place a "Post-It" (partially) over the sensor so that only "real" signals would get through. Other options are outlined in the sticky.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have also noticed the info box pop up a couple times. it is very rare, and I thought it was due to stray IR, but funny, it has only happened since the upgrade.

either way, I think it is worth a call to MTS support to let them know, maybe they are not aware, or if they are they can confirm. Once I get an answer I will post here.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reminder 57. I had forgotten about the Bell update. I don't think any of these issues apply to me, but I do have a CFL so I'll double-check the next time this happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen to me last night. I am on the new version of the client. Only did happen once. Did notice though, that before watching the show, I checked the HD capacity and I only had about 23% disk space remaining. I deleted a bunch of programs before watching the show.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this happen a couple more times on a CRT. No lights on and no direct sunlight so it's not likely stray signals.

The last time it happened while I was in the other room listening to a recorded program and when I came back in the INFO screen was there. It happened to coincide with a series starting to record, so that may be a clue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have had the upgrade for a while now..at least 2 weeks..and this info pop-up occurred 3 times in the last 2 nights. So far it has only happened while I was watching a recorded show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had this happen on numerous occaisions while watching recorded programs. This was never a problem before the latest upgrade. I called tech and was instructed to unplug the power cord from the back of my pvr for 10 seconds, as well as the 2 wire box. Then plugged both back in after 10 seconds. After this, everything has worked flawlessly.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@kwk1, I've unplugged several times and that hasn't solved the problem for me. On average I have the problem about once every 5 to 10 hours of viewing time. I've also decided it has nothing to do with a series starting to record.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Dr. Dave,
Well, you must have another deeper problem then. :(
Mine did this everytime I started to watch a recorded show, as well as popping up during shows every 15-30 minutes. I have never had this while watching live tv. Not sure if you have contacted tech support yet, but that's what I would do. They'll try to fix the problem first, and then I'm assuming they'd replace your hardware if all else fails.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@kwk1, I don't want MTS to replace my PVR because I'll lose all my recordings. If you read post 1, you'll see it's a common problem. Since I also moderate the Fibe TV forum, I was surprised when I read about it there because I never had the problem. Then MTS upgraded the software...

I'll probably report it officially to MTS once I collect some stats. I decided to start tracking Nov. 1.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When you are attemping a system wide reset I would recommend doing it in this order:

1 - Unplug any non-PVR boxes.
2 - Unplug all PVR boxes.
3 - Unplug your 2wire gateway.
4 - Wait a full 60 seconds.
5 - Plug in the 2wire.
6 - Wait until it is fully "light up".
7 - Plug in your main PVR box.
8 - Wait until the box is fully back online, including the PVR.
9 - Verify the PVR is online by attempting to record and then playback something currently airing live.
10 - Plug in all the remaining boxes and verify they can playback content from the PVR.

I had one issue where the non-PVR box and the PVR box stopped talking to each other and this was how I resolved it. It is also worth noting that when that happens the non-PVR box loses the menu for recorded content.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had one issue where the non-PVR box and the PVR box stopped talking to each other and this was how I resolved it. It is also worth noting that when that happens the non-PVR box loses the menu for recorded content.
I just held the power button down on the PVR box so it reset, and then on the non-PVR box so it reset and the restored the connection for me....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts