Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,469 Posts
I haven't been following IndyCar very closely this year due to half the races not being on TV, so I forgot to record the last race. I found the results on the main Indycar website and was surprised to see a 30 minute condensed video of the race. Not a bad way to watch, but you already know who wins (which doesn't matter that much if there's good racing to watch, unfortunately....)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m silently praying that Sportsnet puts Indycar back on SN360 like the past few years or it goes to TSN. Someone refresh my memory, but did SN360 show Indycar qualifying or was it just shown for the Indy 500?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
From 2013 to 2015, Sportsnet was showing qualifying for all NBC races.
From 2016 to 2018, only qualy for the Indy 500 and Toronto was broadcast.

TSN would be better than Sportsnet for IndyCar in my opinion simply because TSN could continue to show the race during commercials like they do for F1 and NASCAR.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
SN could do that if they wanted to, though. They don't want to.

TSN would be better simply because they probably wouldn't stick it on an outrageously overpriced channel that almost nobody gets while showing the Jays on 7 channels at the same time.

Honestly now that it's not on TV, I forgot Indycar was happening.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup I agree. I’m not paying $20/month for Sportsnet World to watch Indycar. I watch the races shown on the other Sportsnet channels and NBC that I get as part of my cable subscription. I’m hoping that there was enough backlash over this year’s deal that it goes back to either a regular Sportsnet channel or TSN buys the rights and shows both qualifying and the race. I’d probably get the NBC Gold Indycar Pass if it was available in Canada next year.

Does anyone know how long this Sportsnet World deal was for (only 2019)? Indycar really blew it for Canadian fans by not negotiating with anyone other than Sportsnet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The iRacing sim series on Sunday was very well done. If you just "walked in on it" it would have been hard to tell you weren't watching a real INDYCAR race and what an exciting finish. The explanations by the announcers were excellent as compared to the F1 broadcast where they were unable to explain some important issues.
Actually looking forward to watching another race next weekend. I never thought I would say that about a sporting event during this lockdown.

·
Registered
304 Posts
INDYCAR iRacing Challenge from Circuit of The Americas on SN1 Saturday at 2:30 PM.
Lando Norris from F1 is scheduled to join.
Should be fun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The final scheduled iRace is from Indianapolis Sat at 2:30 PM on SN1.
It should be interesting to see how Lando Norris does on an oval.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
NBC Sports announced today that the 2020 NTT INDYCAR Series Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway will now be televised in primetime at 8 p.m. ET on NBC on Saturday, June 6, moving from its originally scheduled window on NBCSN. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
The NTT IndyCar Series revs up this Saturday, June 6 as Sportsnet brings Canadian racing fans complete live coverage of the season-opening Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway. Qualifying is set to start at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT on Sportsnet ONE and Sportsnet World, with official prime-time race action in the evening beginning at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT on Sportsnet, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World. See the News Release for complete broadcast details for the season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m pretty much done with Indycar. Unfortunately I have a year left on my contract with Shaw Cable for my TV package (which includes all the SportsNet channels minus SN World). They’ve so far showed every Indycar race on a a SN channel I have, but they’ve only shown qualifying for the season opener Genesis 300. You’d think with all the SN channels they could air qualifying on TV? Heck I’d even be happy if it was a tape delayed broadcast!

I can log into the Sportsnet Now app with my TV credentials to get what they claim are on-demand replays of both qualifying and the races. Unfortunately some of the videos they post don’t work on any my Apple devices for some reason via the Sportsnet app (Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod). I have to log onto my Xbox One which works fine playing the on demand Indycar content. After weeks of emailing back and forth with their “completely useless” technical support team, they claim to have elevated my concerns to “level 2” whatever that means? I expect never to hear from them again. They claim it works fine on their end.... They uploaded race 1 from Iowa but haven’t added the qualifying yet again to the on-demand section of IndyCar under the “Shows” tab.

I also sent Sportsnet an email asking if there was a way to “upgrade” to the SportsNet Now+ version of the app as from what I can see you can also live stream practice and qualifying sessions. Then you wouldn’t have to wait for on demand stuff to be loaded nor pay the ridiculous $27/month for SportsNet Now + access. Also asked if I subscribed to SN World through Shaw ($17/month) if I’d get access to Indycar streaming. Any guesses as to whether Sportsnet replied? Of course not....

At least with Formula 1 I can pay directly for $80-$90 to get access to F1 TV Pro to live stream the race or watch on demand replays of each session. I wish Indycar would stop negotiating TV rights in Canada. Clearly none of the cable companies care to show it on TV. Just make the Indycar NBC Gold package available to us in Canada. Or maybe give the rights to TSN who would hopefully show qualifying and the race on live TV.

Racing fans are just second class citizens. Sportsnet would never not upload Leafs, Jays or Raptors games, but you have to email SportsNet to beg them to upload the Indycar Qualifying and Race sessions to the Sportsnet Now app.

I’m at the point now with Indycar where I’m no longer spending any money to support SportsNet. I’ll just get torrents/streams to watch IndyCar. No point in paying for it when you can’t even get the content legally from SportsNet.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah, that's just stupid, considering they're filling time with NHL games from the 70's, etc. Maybe Discovery Velocity or MAVTV could pick it up...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I’m pretty much done with Indycar. Unfortunately I have a year left on my contract with Shaw Cable for my TV package (which includes all the SportsNet channels minus SN World)........
Any idea why James Hinchcliffe couldn’t find a ride this season? He’s easily a consistent, top 10 finisher with a decent car. Did he get oval-phobia?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
He got squeezed out when Mclaren bought into the team. Hinchcliffe has a deep connection with Honda and the new consortium went with Chevy. They also did it too late for Hinchcliffe to find another ride. Sad situation. Must be hard for him to sit there and commentate on cars that are carrying his sponsor logo.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
He got squeezed out when Mclaren bought into the team. Hinchcliffe has a deep connection with Honda and the new consortium went with Chevy. They also did it too late for Hinchcliffe to find another ride. Sad situation. Must be hard for him to sit there and commentate on cars that are carrying his sponsor logo.
especially when he finished reasonably well in the two races he ran. but hey, probably making a decent buck on the sidelines. and no more ovals...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts