Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think you can stream the race on SN Now through your cable provider log in. SN now+ is a pay service and that is where the races will be streamed. This stinks way beyond bad. Oh well, there are lots of "free", online streaming services out there...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I didn't realize that SN Now+ was extra cash....I'm not paying for it!

I've been following IndyCar, CART, ChampCar, IRL, etc. since the early 80's. This is the first time since the IRL/CART years I'll be missing races.

Plenty of other content/racing to watch on the weekends. Good luck Indycar in trying to keep Canadian fans like me engaged this season. The only one who likes this decision is my non-race fan wife...

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Been following since the early 80's, or even late 70's (when it was CART and even during the "split"). Lately I've missed a few races due to extensive travelling and inability to remotely programme my PVR, but I can't say I'm interested enough to pay extra. I'm already paying enough for my TV viewing and there's enough other stuff to watch.

These sorts of tactics where customers need to purchase all sorts of different access is going to bite these "promoters" in the butt. I'm not playing/paying. I haven't watched MotoGP and Superbike for the same reason. I stream WRC highlights, but that's free. I hate watching via my computer - connected via HDMI to my TV - and rarely do it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah I don't know what they're thinking with this. This is the action of a declining business that wants to milk as much as it can from existing fans. They won't be getting new ones with the content inaccessible behind such a massive paywall.

I'll be picking up the NBC races, but that's it. Sad, really.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know emailing Sportsnet is a total waste of time, but I've just sent a note to Andretti Autosports about this issue because I believe Michael owns the Toronto Indy and not seeing the first 4 races will surely affect the leadup to the race.
Since I'm sure they're very busy this weekend, I'm not expecting a reply soon, but will let you all know when & if I get a reply.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yeah, the qualifying and race are on NBCHD Sports Net in the U.S., but I couldn’t find anything in Shaw Dorects guide for Sat or Sun. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know emailing Sportsnet is a total waste of time, but I've just sent a note to Andretti Autosports about this issue because I believe Michael owns the Toronto Indy and not seeing the first 4 races will surely affect the leadup to the race.
Since I'm sure they're very busy this weekend, I'm not expecting a reply soon, but will let you all know when & if I get a reply.
I just found out that Green Savoree Racing Promotions owns the Toronto Indy, so I sent them an email about our concerns and again, I will let you all know when or if I get a reply.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Probably, since the other ones are supposed to be on SN World and this one isn't on any SN channel at all due to a scheduling conflict (as if they didn't have seven other channels they could put it on).

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
Went to sportsnet.ca and the link for the feed was right there. Started watching a bit and it went to commercial. I haven't watched commercials since the mid-70's and I'm not about to now...

Edit: Tried tuning in a couple of times while I was doing other things on my computer and almost every time it was either commercial or yellow. Oh well. I'll be able to record the rest of the season and watch properly, probably...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Went to sportsnet.ca and the link for the feed was right there. Started watching a bit and it went to commercial. I haven't watched commercials since the mid-70's and I'm not about to now...

Edit: Tried tuning in a couple of times while I was doing other things on my computer and almost every time it was either commercial or yellow. Oh well. I'll be able to record the rest of the season and watch properly, probably...
There was a point in the race where the NBCSN broadcast feed was experiencing technical difficulties so they had a bunch of commercials. I wish the commentators and race director were more intelligent. They say a lot of stupid things that are not correct and this race was no different. I spend more time watching live timing these days than anything because the race director is terrible.

·
Super Moderator
56,395 Posts
You're so full of crap... but whatever you say, cowboy.
A bit OT for this thread, but I bought my first VCR at that time and watch everything recorded, so think what you will.

As VCRs became much less expensive 10 years later, I purchased additional VCRs to record more than one programme at a time. There was a time when I had three (not all in the same room). The VCRs were mostly retired 15 years ago when I got HD PVRs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here's my first note to Green Savoree Racing Promotions who own the Toronto Indy:

We IndyCar fans in Canada are very upset that the TV rights for the series have been given to a channel Sportsnet World, that is primarily soccer & rugby and costs $20/month.
I understand the sports channel wants to make more money and expects IndyCar fans to subscribe to this channel but it's not going to happen.
The first 4 races of the series will only be available on that channel and only when the races are on NBC main network will we see those races.
I'm surprised that IndyCar is accepting this arrangement.
The leadup to the Toronto Indy will be greatly diminished and as the owner of this event I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

They replied that the first race will be streamed for free.
I then replied:

It is ironic that Sportsnet made this first race available for free online only because their Sportsnet World channel was showing a soccer match. It is this primarily soccer/rugby channel getting the IndyCar Series that is upsetting to many fans.
I've attached an article from the Toronto Star that pretty well sums up the issue and at the end, adds that the promoters of the Toronto Indy are probably not enthused.
So I'm curious to know if you as race owners have any input into the TV contract?

They then replied with a partly encouraging comment:
We don't have involvement in the negotiation of the TV contracts. Your sentiments will be relayed with ours. We are monitoring it closely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A recent article in The Star about Indycar viewing figures in Canada.

These are last year’s figures but F1 races in Canada average about 260,000 viewers. NASCAR Cup races attract an average of 220,000. IndyCar races in 2018 averaged just over 50,000 – 51,900, to be exact.In the words of one television executive I spoke to, “You can put just about anything on television on Sunday afternoon and get 50,000.”

Here are a couple of other interesting tidbits about IndyCar racing on Canadian TV. That 50,000-plus average was recorded when the races were shown on Sportsnet 360. When they were on Sportsnet 1, that figure dropped to a tad over 37,000.

Here’s something that’s surprising. The most popular IndyCar race in Canada on TV is the Honda Indy Toronto, which in 2018 attracted 125,800. The Indianapolis 500, the crown jewel of IndyCar racing, only attracted 117,500 viewers. However, both those races were watched by more than 100,000 and those are the two races that Sportsnet will make available on “free” television this year.
https://www.wheels.ca/news/racing-roundup-not-many-people-watch-indycar-races-on-canadian-tv/

41 - 60 of 90 Posts