Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It's disappointing that these series are killing themselves by making it difficult to watch. I'm not sure how they expect to get new fans if you have to subscribe to some obscure channel through a cable package to watch.

I'm probably the last generation (I'm in my 40's) that will be race fans.

I'm sure the coverage on Velocity will suck. I'm sure they will cut off everything until the green flag for infomercials, and if the race coverage runs longer then the timeslot, cut off the end. They will cut out of the race every 10-12 minutes for a 4-5 minute block of commercials that will repeat endlessly over the 24 hours.

Guess I'll just watch highlights on YouTube of IMSA / WEC from now on. Disappointing.

Still no word on IndyCar either.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm sure the coverage on Velocity will suck. I'm sure they will cut off everything until the green flag for infomercials, and if the race coverage runs longer then the timeslot, cut off the end. They will cut out of the race every 10-12 minutes for a 4-5 minute block of commercials that will repeat endlessly over the 24 hours.
I guess Velocity will simply simulcast NBCSN's coverage like TSN as always did with NASCAR. So, Velocity will go to a commercial break when NBC will go to a commercial break. The coverage will be as bad, or as good, as the one in the US.

IMSA races aren't time limited instead of being a set number of laps ? So, going longer then the scheduled timeslot for the coverage is pretty much impossible, no ? By the way, at last year's 24 Hours of Le Mans, Velocity has stayed on air 15 minutes over their scheduled timeslot in order to broadcast all the podium ceremonies.

Still no word on IndyCar either.
The first race is only in March. I guess the earliest we could hear something would be at the end of February.

Remember: Sportsnet's 5-year deal for IndyCar in 2013 was only announced on February 26th and the rights for 2018 were never announced.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have Discovery Velocity and my guide on Telus doesn’t show the race this weekend.
Discovery Velocity's website (free preview until Feb 7) has been updated and the race is listed in a 25-hour telecast from 2pm ET Saturday to 3pm ET Sunday (race starts and ends at 2:35pm). The whole race on TV in Canada, but not in the US (7 hours online only).

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
Strap In for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Beginning with Rolex 24 Race This Weekend

Speed junkies rejoice! Discovery Velocity delivers complete coverage of the International Motor Sports Association’s (IMSA) WeatherTech SportsCar Championship series, beginning with the 57th running of the ROLEX 24 from Daytona, Florida this weekend. The flag-to-flag coverage begins Saturday, Jan. 26 at 2 p.m. and runs until Sunday at 3 p.m. ET.

Through a partnership with WeatherTech Canada and Pfaff Automotive Partners, Discovery Velocity joins networks in more than 200 countries delivering live coverage of the championship series to racing fans around the world. With 12 races set to air in the coming months, including Canada’s biggest sports car race of the year, the MOBIL 1 SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX, Discovery Velocity delivers all the IMSA action to Canadians.

In addition to live coverage, TSN recaps the race highlights with one-hour broadcasts of all WeatherTech Championship events (check local listing for confirmed broadcast details).

Following ROLEX 24, the series moves on to Sebring, Florida for the MOBIL 1 TWELVE HOURS OF SEBRING event from March 13-16 and then on to Long Beach, California for the BUBBA BURGER SPORTSCAR GRAND PRIX AT LONG BEACH from April 12-13.

Full schedule of IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Champisionship events:
https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.com/schedule-results/race-schedule

·
Registered
640 Posts
Could be they haven't added it to their schedule yet. Could be they haven't finalized purchasing of the rights.

I'm all for sports/leagues starting their own streaming service versus going with cable, but I don't think I care enough about Indycar to purchase a subscription versus just watching it on SN if it happens to be on. That said, if it went to DAZN, that'd be great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still no words about IndyCar's 2019 Canadian broadcast partner.

I have a feeling (hope it's wrong) that IndyCar won't be back on Sportsnet. I don't think it will be on TSN either.

If I had to bet right now, I would go for DAZN (very agressive for motorsport in Spain, IndyCar could be the start for the same thing in Canada) or Discovery Velocity (same kind of deal as IMSA).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
INDYCAR Media secures wide-ranging international broadcast deals

Notably, in Canada, through INDYCAR’s partnership with Sportsnet, INDYCAR fans will be able to consume NTT IndyCar Series races and qualifying sessions on SN NOW+, Sportsnet’s direct-to-consumer platform. Additionally, all races except for the season opener (due to a scheduling conflict) will air in Canada on Sportsnet World, a Sportsnet linear television channel, with the Indianapolis 500 and the Honda Indy Toronto also airing on linear television via the Sportsnet 360 and Sportsnet ONE channels, respectively.
I'm disappointed. This is not good.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sportsnet World, really? Last I checked, that was a seperate, $20/month addon channel on my BDU. With the number of channels Sportsnet has, they want to cram it up there?

This deal is pathetic. Sounds like the death knell for Indycar in Canada. They'd have been better off just putting the whole thing on DAZN, with how much SN World or SN Now+ cost.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
IMSA has a better deal than INDYCAR in Canada.

SN NOW instead of SN NOW+ for the digital rights would have been better.

This is what will be legally available without SN World:
  • INDYCAR Grand Prix (Indy Road Course) on NBC
  • Indy 500 Bump & Pole Shootouts on NBC
  • Indianapolis 500-mile race on NBC & SN360
  • Detroit Grand Prix (2 races) on NBC
  • Road America race on NBC
  • Indy Toronto on SN1
  • Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio on NBC
  • Grand Prix of Portland on NBC
  • Grand Prix of Monterey on NBC

21 - 40 of 96 Posts