Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this decision is good for consumers, but nonetheless, the USB Implementers' Forum has issued a decision that Palm's method to connect to iTunes violates license terms under which Palm may make USB devices. At least, I think that's the inference. Anybody know if this industry group has the authority to enforce these things?

Personally, I think opening iTunes to a wider audience would only be good for Apple, and would drive innovation and improvement for consumers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Because the USB-IF goes on to suggest that Palm itself is violating its Membership Agreement by using Apple’s Vendor ID number to disguise the Pre as an Apple device
I firmly believe its Apple's choice. Clearly PALM feels that in order to sell its device, it needs to piggyback on the Apple system.

Apple can chose to allow it and possibly make more money from iTunes or NOT allow it and make more money from iPhones. Clearly Apple believes it can make more money from iPhones so I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to shut out competing phones from their system.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Apple could of course allow Palm's magic USB number access to Itunes for a fee.

Now I wonder how many hackers will be examining their USB drivers to see if this number can be altered by a software hack. Any bets?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Maybe I'm confused here but is the real issue the fact that iTunes can talk directly to the Pre?

Assuming that is the case then IMHO Apple can do what they want. It's their S/W product after all.

As far as syncing an iTunes library to a generic USB device, there are applications that will do that for you. That is what I use to get my iTunes stuff onto my Android phone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts