Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why is the IPL going so close to the end of the World Cup? I realize in most major team sports there isn't much of a break between the end of a major tournament (Olympic hockey, World Baseball Classic etc.) and the professional season. But cricket has always been different, I'm surprised that the IPL wasn't pushed back a month or so because of the World Cup.
I recall over 1000mm of rain in my one and only mid-June long weekend in Mumbai .... so they may want to get the IPL over and out of the way before the monsoon strikes a few of the key cities.

I'm sure our Indian ex-pat friends can shed more light on :Dweather:D this is the reason ....

·
Registered
689 Posts
I managed to catch the last half hour of RS One's first IPL match. Great match to start the tournament. The coverage seemed the same as the ITV coverage I saw last year in England. It's still not listed on the Shaw Direct TV guide.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was it in HD?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It is the only way (or at least the best way) to make money off a sport like cricket where there is a smaller, but dedicated, fan base. The other option, which may have made a bit more sense, would be to put some games on Setanta in hopes that cricket fans would subscribe to that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It is the only way (or at least the best way) to make money off a sport like cricket where there is a smaller, but dedicated, fan base. The other option, which may have made a bit more sense, would be to put some games on Setanta in hopes that cricket fans would subscribe to that.
The switch to Setanta would be great, but the tournament is only 45 days (or thereabouts) so after that the cricket-only fans would cancel. I would imagine Rogers has figured out that PPV is a better money maker. Pity!

Maybe if they pick a second cricket property, eg the English 20/20, they might consider Setanta. Let's hope.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts