1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very good news. ATN's monopoly seems to be broken finally.

ATN's treatment to Canadian cricket lovers during 2011 WC was not acceptable at all. Hopefully Sportsnet will do a much better job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What channel is Sportsnet on Rogers cable? Looks like it will on HD?
If it is then great news. It will be lot better than ATN.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm shocked. Too bad Sportsnet wasn't able to or unwilling to pick up the World Cup. I gather this means that Sportsnet will feature some of Canada's T20 games in the future.

Out of curiosity, did Sportsnet One's license require it to show a certain percentage of non-traditional sports? The reason I am curious is that they now feature a good portion of tennis, including World Team Tennis, cricket and some other sports not normally on the other major networks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not sure about the license requirements, but I would think it probably had more to do with the massive ratings this competition gets world-wide. Add that to the huge Asian and Caribbean following cricket has here.

I think this is a very smart business decision by RSN. Hopefully some good ratings here will spur them to get other cricketing properties. Wouldn't mind seeing them get some ODI's shown on Setanta this summer. It would certainly convince me to keep Setanta for the summe.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am just happy that we get to see some good Cricket, well done Rogers.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is great news. I was tempted to buy the PPV for the world cup, but I will not willing to shell out over $50 for one match in SD.

I have not seen a cricket for nearly 10 years. The last match I saw was a test between England in India at Lords.

I will definitely be watching a few matches. I have yet to see the new shorter 20 overs format.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't think Sportsnet One had any requirements for certain sports, except for Canadian content maybe. I think that they are airing the ATP to capitalize on Raonic. As for the cricket, the India-Pakistan game drew a fair bit of attention in Canada. Maybe they are trying to do the same for cricket that happened to F1 and the Champions League over the past 20 years.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think the main reason they've picked up this cricket and not any other type over the years is that this is Twenty20. So unlike the recent World Cup where they played 50 over matches that lasted most of the day Twenty20 can fit more easily into the TV schedule of Rogers. Also I assume the matches will be on late morning and early afternoon which is not exactly a busy time for live sports in North America.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Andrew1, actually most of the games are in the overnight hours. I generally go through the sports channels on the on-screen guide to see what is on and the IPL matches are either 10 PM Mountain for tape delayed or 2 AM Mountain for live. Seems like they are showing one match live and one tape delayed.

I haven't followed cricket that closely before, so I am a little confused. Why is the IPL going so close to the end of the World Cup? I realize in most major team sports there isn't much of a break between the end of a major tournament (Olympic hockey, World Baseball Classic etc.) and the professional season. But cricket has always been different, I'm surprised that the IPL wasn't pushed back a month or so because of the World Cup.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it is the hot weather preventing them to push the tournament back. In May it will be extremely hot in India.
Last year they had clash with election dates in India but they could not move IPL dates too much due to approaching hot weather.

·
Registered
689 Posts
actually most of the games are in the overnight hours. I generally go through the sports channels on the on-screen guide to see what is on and the IPL matches are either 10 PM Mountain for tape delayed or 2 AM Mountain for live. Seems like they are showing one match live and one tape delayed.
I looked at the schedule and it looks like they will show IPL live in the morning and early afternoon (ET) when there is no tennis. The Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament begins next week but after that there are no Masters tournaments until May. So unless Rogers plans on covering the smaller European tennis tournaments I would expect them to show live matches just about every day throughout April. (The online Rogers Sportsnet schedule - the most reliable one - only goes up to April 16).

I realize in most major team sports there isn't much of a break between the end of a major tournament (Olympic hockey, World Baseball Classic etc.) and the professional season. But cricket has always been different, I'm surprised that the IPL wasn't pushed back a month or so because of the World Cup.
In addition to what rookie8155 said it's important to keep in mind that the IPL pro-season is only about 6 weeks. For most of the summer there are cricket tournaments involving the national sides that go on extended tours of other countries. For example the Indian team tours the West Indies in June then England from July through mid-September. So they had to fit the IPL season in between the cricket World Cup and the national side tours beginning in June. Last year because there was no World Cup the IPL season started much earlier and ended in late April.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The online schedule I saw that Hugh had linked to didn't show the tape delays. I think SNet One is showing all the games just the PPV ones are tape delayed and shown at 10 PM Mountain. I could have sworn that others were at 2 AM. Perhaps it is later and more like 4 AM Mountain. The only reason I remember that is it conflicted with Formula One and something else I was taping at that hour one of the nights (mornings?).

Regardless, I do hope this is the beginning of Sportsnet showing other events from the Eastern Hemisphere overnight. Would be nice to see them show KHL (Russia) hockey games or Japanese baseball games.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Last month I had spoken to a magnitude of people across ATN, Rogers, Cricket-Canada and some folks in the media on how Cricket is being neglected here. This is FANTASTIC news. I guess all our efforts to bring ATN's shoddy handling of the WC and the popularity of the cricket WC has finally hit the shores.

Can someone confirm if the matches are going to be in HD?

All we need is some good Canadian players in the league.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am also hoping that these matches will be in HD because Sportsnet has HD channels whereas ATN could not afford to have extra channels for HD. If this tournament is in HD, it will be great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts