Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you owners of the Incredible S (like me) have probably heard, our phones will not be getting the upgrade.

What really bugs me is that HTC Canada say otherwise. It clearly is a case of he said she said. I don't know who to believe.

What I would like to get is the basic ICS ROM that was available to many other carriers. I don't really want a modified ROM that will render certain functions of my phone unusable ie the camera.

Has anybody seen such a beast on the net? I've searched many times but haven't found anything tangible. Any help would be appreciated. Might even have to look for JB....

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it seems like HTC came through. They have released the ICS for Incredible S. I downloaded the file and updates it from my computer. The phone looks like it was meant to run ICS. Much smoother.

For those who have this phone, here is the link for the file directly from HTC web site. http://dl4.htc.com/RomCode/Source_and_Binaries/One_Generic_code_Vivo.zip

I didn't want to root my phone yet so I waited for this file to come. What I like is it removed the bloatware that Virgin/Bell had put on the phone. It is just a basic phone with new apps but nothing else. Love my HTC. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the update & link to file Danster! A couple questions for you:
1 - Does this void any warranty with Bell or HTC? I would think not since it's coming directly from HTC.
2 - Did you do a backup? Specifically were you able to keep your contacts info?
Thanks, BurnabyBob

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should not void your warranty since you are not jailbreaking/rooting or whatever you wanna call it.

To do the backup, I used the free mybackup available on the play store. I backed up everything and when I did a full restore, it kinda gave me a souped up gingerbread. I did a master reset and reinstalled only the apps and certain data to keep ICS as intact as possible.

I don't regret it at all. The phone is WAY faster than when it was 2.3.3. Going to ICS was almost like buying a completely new phone.

Best part of it all, the crap Virgin/Bell had preinstalled has been wiped away. No bloatware whatsoever. For that reason, it appears like the phone loads much faster IMHO.

Make sure you have a full batery when yu do it. It shouldn't take more than 7 minutes to update.

Let me know how you make out with the new OS when you get it.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Contacts should be backed up to Gmail automatically and downloaded back to your phone afterward. To see if your phone is already backing up your contacts, log into your Gmail account and switch to contacts view. If they're there, then you're good for contacts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank You!

Thanks Danster & TorontoColin!

I was able to upgrade my phone lickety-split with no problems at all - like "you-know-what" through a goose! Contacts, photos, apps, they're all back.

I've only spent a little bit of time now getting it set-up to my liking but I think you're right Danster, it does seem smoother or quicker than before.

Thanks again guys. This forum is a great source for help & info for all things digital/technical.
BurnabyBob

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem.
What I like best of ICS for our phone is the update function. You can easily update all your apps by pressing one button. Although it was available to gingerbread, the function never, well, functionned right.

And again, the bloatware all gone is a big plus. This OS update really gave a new life to my phone and it seems like the battery lasts a bit longer as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've attempted to follow the link the the HTC site, but it keeps redirecting me to htc.com . Not sure why that is. Really looking for the source for ICS for my IncS.
Any help?

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somehow, they changed the link. Go here http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads and select your phone type in the list. Then you want to have the file NAM for Canada. It's still there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts