Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
(Transferring over from the "Studio 60 not recorded on HDNBC Monday night" thread.)

I finally got a reply from Rogers. I had used the online submission page, several times (I think it croaks if you put too many characters in the comments box).

Essentially they recommend that I set up manual recordings each week (they muct be reading these boards as well:) I replied saying that it would not be appropriate for GM to tell me to shift manually when my automatic transmission was faulty.

I am still awaiting for replies for incorrect times (64 minute shows) and the issue with the submission page itself.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I called Rogers as I didn't get my promised update in 24 hrs. My ticket was closed as resolved but the resolution wasn't in the ticket.

The CSR re-opened the ticket.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rogers called me and told me to wait for someone to talk to me. The CSR gets on the phone and asks why I called. Grr.

Level 2 support said to send someone out to have a look at my box. Grr. I got the appointment made for Friday.

I explain that all boxes have this issue but he doesn't listen. Grr.

I used Dexter as my example. The CSR tells me he too records all episodes of Dexter and has never had the problem. I asked what channel and he says 301. Grr. I explain it is the HD and/or 5.1 in the title causing the issue which is why he hasn't experienced this.

I have both flavours of Dexter in my scheduled recordings so there will be something to show the tech. I will also show this thread to the tech.

Perhaps with the visit, they will finally acknowledge this problem?

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
When I had a CSR on the line, there were actually two different titles for "Motorweek" (Saturday 4PM, 4:30PM, PBS). This week it was not the case, but sometimes it is. You get one as Motorweek the other as Motorweek (HD). The CSR then says, of course "well one is HD and the other is not", to which I say, no, they are the identical programme on twice but with different listings.

They had the same thing for Nature of Things one week - one with, one without HD.

I've had my "nature of things" scheduled recordings listed since August. This week it caught the new episode airing on Wednesday evening (without the HD). Anyone want to place bets it'll be HD next week?

Grr.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The following come to mind about CSR's after reading all the comments on peoples experiences with them:

1. They outright lie about never having heard about the problem before
2. They have really short term memories
3. As soon as they are experienced, they are replaced by newbies
4. They do not use their own products
5. They have poor listening and comprehension skills
6. Are trained to make the customer seem like an idiot
7. Are only skilled to make bookings for a tech call

·
Registered
537 Posts
The tech paid me a visit to look at this issue. I explained it to him and showed him the 3 flavours of Dexter I now have. I also pointed out the previous night's Mayday that didn't record - DISC repeats its schedule and Mayday was on again and had HD where it previously did not so the issue was happening right when he was here.

I mentioned others were having this issue but he confidently proclaims "It's your box". So I showed him this 125 post thread. He now agrees that it is not my box.

He called in to open a network issue ticket but sadly I had to leave (as the tech showed up right at the end of the 3 hr time slot) before he got through and so he talked to my non-digital savy wife after I left.

He told my wife that Rogers knows about this issue (WTF?? The CSRs clearly don't, and level 2 sent this guy out). I believe he told her to record from SD channels to avoid this issue (my wife is a little fizzy on this as she remembers being told to record it without the HD, 5.1 etc in the title).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to warn all 24 fans out there that the upcoming Sunday night two hour premiere is simply titled "24" in the guide while the Monday night 2 hour episode is titled "24 (HD)". If I did not double check, I would end up missing Monday's recording.

There are at least 2 or 3 different places I could have posted this, so the mods should feel free to move it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If only Rogers would contact the maintainer of the Guide and get them to change it so they put the "HD" and "5.1" details in the "Info". But Rogers probably doesn't really care since the PVR use is still so relatively small and HD PVR is even smaller.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
In my MANY discussions with Rogers on this issue, they say they have contacted TV Guide Canada on the issue, but I think part of the problem may be due to the listings as they come from the programme/broadcaster themselves.

If CTV decides to change the name of the programme to include HD or DD5.1 (or not), then from that point on it's simply "copy and paste" and no one wants to insert an actual human to "fix" the issue.

The Firmware of the STB should be written to ignore these "modifiers". I also don't understand why TV Guide Canada/Rogers is unique because this is not an issue for other service providers...

·
Registered
1 Posts
CSR explains fox hd recording issues

thanks to this thread I did give up trying to record 'all epsiodes' of a program. Every week I program everything manually and I have very few issues. Last week I set up 24 to record from Fox HD and of the 4 episodes the first one recorded for 1 hr 6 min, the second for 21 min, the third for 27 min and the fourth for 1 hr 33 min. So basically I missed 33 min of ep 2. I phoned rogers and the CSR explained that this is a known issue when recorded Fox HD. Apparently Fox send it out as 720p and when it's converted to 1080i, there's something in the code that tells the PVR to shut off. Fox and SA are supposed to be working on a fix. they recommend not recording from Fox HD(531). He also admitted that they know all about the changing program titles and said to keep programming manually.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
The information you received is incorrect. Fox Seattle works just fine. See the following thread which discusses the issues with Fox Buffalo.

It also indicates that you need to reboot the STB (unplug/replug) after recording Fox Buffalo to get it to work properly again (on any channel).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47394 (post 9 onwards)

See also the Digital Home FAQs (under help):

- Tips for SA STBs
- What you need to do to your new HDTV
- Etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it seems they are "keying" off the program title - why?!

having experience with software design and development, my question is why TVGuide Canada and/or Rogers (and other providers) and/or the SA STB (and other STB's) are "keying" off of the program title? - this, to me, appears to be what they are doing.

isn't there a way of keying off of a unique program ID? without getting too technical; i'd imagine a database of programs (shows) with records consisting at least of program ID, program title, program description, start time, and end time.

this way, the program title could be changed without affecting the STB's, which would instead "key" off of the program ID.

does anyone out there have a complete end-to-end understanding of how program (show) schedules are created, distributed to providers, and are then processed/used by the various STB's that are out there?

i apologize if this has already been asked/answered somewhere in some other thread

·
Registered
389 Posts
The CSRs I have spoken with never ever acknowledged "incorrect IPG" information as being a Roger's problem but rather a TV Guide problem. They only pass on the information that they are provided and I added that it is being paid for. It does not matter how you reason or present the problem they are not willing to take ownership nor as it appears any resolve to alleviate these "IPG mistakes".

With such an attitude these IPG inconsistencies will be around for a long time. If there was another cable provider to choose from I would drop them so fast ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Missed recordings due to Title change in IPG

The new fall season is upon us and I thought I would send my 2 cents in to Rogers regarding the missed recordings when a title changes from one week to the next. For example the following are four different titles and ONLY the one matching the one you have set to record WILL record.
Shark
Shark (HD)
Shark (HD) (5.1)
Shark (5.1)
When I called Rogers about this I was put through to the "Office of the President" (wow) so they could document my call.
I was surprised to hear that she had received very few complaints regarding this problem and at first (and maybe even now) she did not believe me. She said it would record anyway. We all know that it does not.
So I asked her to have the IPG provider supply a more accurate IPG without changing titles from week to week.
I also mentioned the 1 or 2 minute overuns that some programs have. The Comcast IPG provider in Florida has these programs shown correctly but obviously ours does not.

It's time some more of you let her hear about these problems so that they can be assured that we feel there is a problem with these two issues.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
They have heard from us quite often on the inconsistent programme title issue - see earlier in this thread. As a matter of fact, they have opened several tickets on the issue, also the "2 minute issue". I've had at least 3 tickets set up for each of those alone.

It appears that neither Rogers or TV Guide Canada (the IPG supplier) understand the severity of the issue or how much it impacts those of us who have HD PVRs.

It is a good idea for us to continue to complain regarding the issue. It's been 3 years now (as evidenced by the first post in this thread.)

Please see post one of this thread for a link to a summary post and the various workarounds, until the IPG gets better.

It's best NOT to confuse the inconsistent titles issue with the "two minutes over" issue when talking to Rogers. It's always best to only discuss one issue at a time with them and open separate tickets for each issue. That way we may get one of them solved.

It's certainly possible to bring more than one issue up during one call, but finish one discussion first, then when the CSR asks is there anything else, go on to the second issue.

Here are the links for the odd start/stop times - also 3 years old.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18207

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33957

Here's the SA8300HD Issues thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17213

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's time some more of you let her hear about these problems so that they can be assured that we feel there is a problem
I hope others take up the cause but frankly I'm getting a little disillusioned with SOME of the the DHC members. How many times do we see a post saying someone should do something. Well, that someone can be you too.

I've been beaten into submission on some issues including this one. I even arranged to stay home one day so Rogers could visit me (see #126). How many others can say they've at least called to open a ticket? A few certainly but no-where near the number of posters here.

This is a great forum and we have an opportunity to team up but there are too many who just want to post here without following up with the various companies. Last year's nfl playoff simsub fiasco was one of the few times where I saw a mass protest arise from this forum.

My apologies for the rant and getting off topic.

57, my hat (if I wore one) is off to you as you keep fighting the various battles. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm tired of calling Rogers. Spending 20-30 mins on the phone to open a ticket that gets closed on its own a few days later with "issue resolved". I'm sure Rogers has received plenty of calls regarding this, but it gets swept under the rug everytime.

I just gave up on the HD PVR.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Another one tonight -- managed to catch it, though. Last week it was "Dancing with the Stars (5.1)" and this week they drop the "5.1".

I just don't understand why the programmers over at Scientific Atlanta cannot do one of two things:

1. Strip out all modifiers like (HD) or (5.1). Do this to the program title when you are programming the event (to store the scheduled recording) and then do the same to the program name in the guide when it's looking for the next isntance to record.
2. Give us an interface to modify what's stored in the scheduled recordings, and give us at least a wildcard (so we can, ourselves, replace the (HD) with, say, an asterisk).

No need to have Rogers calling TV Guide, and TV Guide simply throwing up their arms and saying "That's what we got from CTV this week".

Oh, and on a slight tangent, Desperate Housewives cut off the last minute, again.

121 - 140 of 278 Posts