Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to plan out my av rack and for the most part I am modeling it off of YW84U's closet. However mine will not be a closet , therefore there will not be access to the rear of the unit. I have 2 questions:

1. What should the depth of the cabinet be taking into account the wiring and home theater wall plate will be in the back

2. I have on old 4" dryer vent to the outside that is vacant. Should I install the fans into the cabinet and vent them into that exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
What should the depth of the cabinet be taking into account the wiring and home theater wall plate will be in the back
This will depend on the depth of your equipment. The AVR is usually the deepest item. Allow enough room behind so that you can easily bend HDMI cables, etc. Sometimes as much as 6" additional is required for the bend radius of some cables - and that's assuming the cable "exits". If it plugs into a plate, then more room can be required - plate could perhaps be on the side, rather than the back if it's a plug type.

Check out the last part of the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

I would not vent fans outside - potential condensation, pest issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A/v cabinet cooling

Just building up my in-wall av cabinet. I'm wondering with the cabinet being a closed space roughly 24" deep, 36" high
And 36" wide (opening is only going to be 17.5", approx 20 cubic feet;

1. What size fan should I go with

2. Should I just get a fan to circulate (blow) air around the cabinet or actualy remove the heated air?

The only reason ask is that I have to consider this I'm my final enclosure plans

·
Registered
153 Posts
My two cents...I would attempt to draw out the hot air, cool air will always be drawn in.
For the fan I would goto your local computer parts store or website and get a 200mm fan. I've used them in the past, you can find ones that rotate at a slower RPM and move a ton of air. Just be careful of your environment, fans also draw in dust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. As for the environment it will mostly be sealed as I am going with a closed face cabinet. I think I will go with the dual 120mm fans from coolerguys.com. Anyone ever delt with them? Is there stuff good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts