Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the Sirius 7-day trial, and while it was nice, I now found an app called Tune-In Radio and have access to over 40 000 radio stations from around the world right on my phone! One can search by genre, language and location to find radio stations from all over the world! The app is free (supported by ads at the bottom), and there are no monthly fees (only data rate usage).

This can't fare well for Sirius XM investors.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Internet Radio apps have been discussed many times here. My favourite is Wunderradio but there are many on the iTUnes store.

FWIW, have you calculated data usage?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 128 kb/sec stream will run around 60 MB / hour. I have a 6 GB data plan, so I'm not too worried about going over. In my first month on this plan, I've still got 2.8 GB to use for the next 7 days, and this after streaming TV via SlingPlayer Mobile and listening to the radio quite a bit.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Then you're good to go! Some folks just don't appreciate how much data is being used so if you're on a 500MB plan, it can be problematic.

One other note, I have been in the car many times listening to Satellite radio and we can't get data for our iPhone apps so you may find that you're not getting anything on your wireless connection. Of course, results may vary.

I have a lifetime plan so my Sirius radio has long since paid for itself but if I didn't have it, I might consider the Smartphone app route.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Pocket Tunes is an excellent App to listen to Howard on the IPhone

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been getting an error message stating "This station not available in your country" for some US stations lately when using the Tune-In radio app for Android. Is there any workaround for this problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts