Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Actually, a CD is better than FM. FM radio dates back to the 1950's and is analog tech. A lossless CODEC can provide CD (or better) quality over the 'net.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Radio, someone still loves you..... (still great)

And if you like CD’s, I shop at thrift stores now. Four for $1. Can’t beat it.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
I've converted most of my CDs to MP3, so I can play them on my phone, tablet and computer. I don't recall when I last put a CD in a drive or player, other than in my car. I have a portable CD player here that I haven't used in over 15 years.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
"....a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive." Neil Peart.
Radio is my trusted companion.
I agree. I still like a little talk between my music. Not a lot, but at least the weather, scores of the big games and the latest news. You can call me a boomer, if you like.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree. I still like a little talk between my music. Not a lot, but at least the weather, scores of the big games and the latest news. You can call me a boomer, if you like.
Because ‘Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me’, ‘Car Talk’ and ‘Because News’ are still on all my radio dials :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll see your weather, scores, and news and raise you interesting information about the song/artist. Before the internet much of what I learned about songs and artists came from DJs. For example, what was the inspiration for Lucy in the sky with diamonds?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
it is almost two years since the first post of this thread...
Two years later, and I still will never use any internet or commercial satellite radio platform...eg SXM garbage..
Closest for me is the free radio feeds I find on the Ku band antenna, then feed to my personal FM modulator.
Not that I really use it or need it for anything, but I can so I do...

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Before the internet much of what I learned about songs and artists came from DJs.
That would be on FM only. AM didn't go much for that sort of thing. I remember when CHUM FM switched from classical music to rock. There were no ads and hosts knew their music. They even brought in Murray the K for a while.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
it is almost two years since the first post of this thread...
Two years later, and I still will never use any internet or commercial satellite radio platform...eg SXM garbage..
Closest for me is the free radio feeds I find on the Ku band antenna, then feed to my personal FM modulator.
Not that I really use it or need it for anything, but I can so I do...
I listen to SXM in the car, Ku radio on Shaw Direct, Internet radio at times as well as FM radio over the air. I guess I listen to a lot of media. It often depends on my mood and on my location.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I love that Shaw includes FM channels. As a SageTV user, I can load up the SageTV Miniclient on my Android phone, and Bluetooth any of those channels to my car radio.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts