Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Who will win The Amazing Race Season 18?

• Flight Time and Big Easy

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • LaKisha and Jennifer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary and Mallory

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Zev & Justin

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's press release:

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment/release?id=26614

"We're thrilled the audience watching us sprint around the globe each week will continue to witness the breathtaking landscapes that serve as our backdrops, only now in high definition. Whether we're racing alongside the crystal-white peaks of the Arctic Circle, the neon-lined skyscrapers of Japan, or the color-drenched domes of the Russian Kremlin, fans will enjoy a heightened viewing experience as we bring the world to their couch every Sunday night," said Executive Producer and co-Creator Bertram van Munster.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I believe this is now Must See TV... on CBS that is.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Finally!!! I wonder how consistently good quality HD the footage is going to be, considering the huge amount of different cameras to be used. Hopefully, it's not going to be like the so-called HD launch of Global News.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Awesome news!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Watching this great show with higher quality will be fantastic.

But nearly as great is that we will no longer have dozens of 'experts' on bulletin boards spewing totally fictional and false descriptions of how this show is made, and why it would be breaking the laws of physics to use HD cameras. No more yarns about how they have to hire local camera crews in Ghana using Ghanian cameras and Ghanian editing software. No more fake stories of producers having to wheedle camera gear through 'customs' in order to beat the contestants and get that shot of them running off the plane ramp. And amusing as it was, no more fables about how TAR producers are so concerned about the ever-worsening state of hyper-compressed channels TV providers are giving us that they selflessly would cripple their own show to hide from consumers the effects of pixelation!

The true answers and reasons are much more plain and simple. Suffice to say, HD cameras and post-production are now pretty much ubiquitous. Even so, there will be much song and dance next spring to stir the belief that this is a technological miracle. Be assured, that hype serves to promote the show and realize that fact when you take those reports with a grain of salt.

Anyone with a genuine interest in how the show is made can surf the net and easily find out the truth. If you want to continue to believe it's all magic though, I would support that as well.

For me, I appreciate the craft that goes into the production. So it doesn't bother me at all to know about the extreme story and situation editing, the voluminous amount of pre-shoots and re-shoots, and gymnastical editing, heavy foley work, and massive audio logging and clipping. Even knowing how the tricks are done I still appreciate the skill involved and the quality of the final creation.

I love noticing when there's a crane shot of the teams racing through a park and there's no camera crew on the ground, yet it's inter-cut with a knee level shots of the stampeding past a camera lens. Then I'll read a piece where they describe how they run teams through various areas multiple times in order to capture adequate footage. Or how they'll use insert shots with zoom cut of a critical prop, but you realize from lighting, location or otherwise it's all post-produced. To me, it's great to see the incredible attention to these details that goes into building an amazing illusion of a product.

For me, knowing how much of the show is constructed versus raw and spontaneous, it actually enhances those rare genuine moments like this year's famous watermelon head shot.

If you don't want to know who is in the Santa suit though, don't look deeper, and just enjoy it the ride on Sunday evenings!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Suffice to say, HD cameras and post-production are now pretty much ubiquitous.
Because you prefaced with Suffice to say, I'm assuming you have something to back up that statement?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Apparently for some readers, suffice isn't sufficient. I'm surprised you of all people haven't noticed that the vast and overwhelming majority of prime time programs, sports, and special events are in HD and have been for several years. And there are scores of programs relegated to premium cable distribution which are produced in HD to protect future resale value. Sure there's the occasional rare holdout like TAR or F1 but they stand out as rare exceptions.

But since you are the one disputing my statement, perhaps you have some compelling contradictory facts to share?

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
It's about time! ;)
Unfortunately I don't care for the show--too much stress and bitching/fighting. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was a posting on another site this summer about how bad of a shape the house is in. The media were given a tour of the house and it would have to be totally re-done to show in HD. Apparently is is almost falling apart, with peeling paint on the walls. None of this shows up in standard def, but would look really bad in HD.

·
Registered
954 Posts
But TAR is not a show shot in a studio of course, so converting over everything to HD is not as easy a task.

I still think that CBS has been a leader in HD. Their picture is always top notch. A few years ago they even aired two separate golf tournaments back to back in full HD for every hole... just think of how many HD cameras that took!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Slightly off topic but within the realm of HD/TAR. Apparently CNN has just ordered a large number of HD cameras for its remote production units around the world....so would now think that HD is getting mainstream and not a big stretch for CBS and TAR.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
In the TV business, painting and refurnishing a house is such a small expense in the overall budget, it would be a non-issue. The reason it's not done now is simply because it doesn't have to be. You'd be amazed at how even the non-blockbuster tv show or movie production will makeover a whole room, house or yard just for a very brief scene or interview.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yeah the bad part is it's an 'all stars' season. As I've said before I'd rather see fresh contestants than more of teams we've already seen.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I don't mind "All Stars" seasons. It is when shows try to do celebrity seasons that it gets really bad. "The Mole" (probably my favorite reality show) did it and it really ruined the show. It was probably one of the things that killed it (along with the loss of Anderson Cooper as host and, strangely enough, 9/11).

1 - 20 of 129 Posts