Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Who will win Survivor: Heroes vs. Villians?

• Colby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jerri

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Parvati

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Russell

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Sandra

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What I find interesting at this point in the game this season, is that there are no clear alliances left. Rupert and Colby were a team - more out of necessity. Right now it is a free for all.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
At this point in the game, it comes down to winning challenges, something I can't see Sandra doing.

The women will vote for Sandra(final 3) since she's a woman and isn't named Russell.

I wonder how many times Sandra will threaten to vote out Russell on Sunday? That dog don't hunt.

The fact that Russell and his in your face tactics have gone this far makes him the winner of this season.

Few winners are remembered and fewer losers. Russell has broken that trend.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The unfortunate part is the jury usually will recognize amazing game play but they totally discount it for the lesser of 2 evils. Last year Russel came second to a girl(what was her name? Bet Jeff has already forgot) who had no clue she was going to win. During question period in front of the jury she looked like she lost she had nothing "good" to say to even sway the vote... But the jury then looks for the easy way out and will use: "well she survived, stayed under the radar", all the coat tail riding traits to get to the end. Anything to not give the win to the guy who kicked all of there ARRSES! They guy who owned them! The bad guy... :)

I suppose i can understand it. If a gun was held to my head and i had to pick between a nice person and bad person who managed to achieve the same goals. i guess i would award the nice person too... I guess thats what makes the game so good, it really is a balancing act..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Like i said, I agree that Russell has been the most INTERESTING player; but his style is not conducive to winning the game. You need to balance what he does with gaining respect from the other players. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way people win.

James...if you were on Survivor, would you adopt a tactic like Russell's, knowing that though people will not forget you, you're not going home with a million dollars? In the end, Russell's style doesn' t win the game.

Russell's disadvantage is that he hasn't had time to learn from the similar mistakes he made in his last game.

All in all, to me, Pavartti is the best player because she has blended careful game play, has won crucial challenges, and hasn't alienated the whole tribe. She stands a chance of winning. Russell does not.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I normally watch Survivor at 11:00 on the west coast feed because I'm unable to watch the 8:00 east coast feed. But I do watch CSI and Mentalist starting at 9:00 on the east coast feed. Last night, doing this spoiled Survivor for me because several times between 9:00 and 11:00, CBS east showed a preview of the Survivor finale on Sunday in which they revealed the identity of the 5 finalists! Only someone who had just watched the east coast feed of Survivor minutes earlier would have known who was voted out and who the five finalists were. So by revealing their identity immediately after the show ended, CBS east ruined the show for anyone who had PVR'd it for watching later, anyone who was planning on watching the west coast feed later. and for any west coast viewers who might be watching the east coast feed of CSI or Mentalist. Given how many people today use PVRs to customize their viewing schedule or who choose to watch shows from different time zones for the same reason CBS should have had the good sense not to openly disclose the results of the show until after it had been aired in all time zones.
Viewers in the US cannot watch shows time shifted like we can in Canada. There is no East or West feed to choose from--only what is available in their time zone. To insure that you don't accidentally find out the results before you watch the show, you must watch Survivor first--and also not look on forums like this after the show has aired. There is nothing silly about what CBS did at all.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Congrats to Russell, the best player from this season and last.

Sandra proved, once again, how useless she is but some people respect being a failure.

Parv also played a great game.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Parvati would have won if Russell wasn't such a hated player. She lost because of her alliance with Russell. It is amazing that a person that has not won one challenge has won survivor twice. If it wasn't for players like Russell and Boston Rob, there would be no Survivor because no one would want to watch boring people like Sandra.

I wonder if the jury would vote for Russell if he did say in his speech that he crossed the line, lied to almost everybody, was a mean SOB, but that it is "only a game"--it is not real life. Or does the jury just hate him too much?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Im starting to wonder if the only reason Russel makes it to the end every time is because he is willing to be the hated one and everyone wants to be beside the hated one at the end. He does all the damage and takes all the blame himself.

He was the best survivor to never get a single winning vote. Who is more of a failure...Sandra or Russel?

In the way the game is played winning challenges is meaningless if people are willing to take you to the end...proven by Sandra..twice.

When Russel was telling Sandra that she only had one vote on the jury I realized how clueless he was. Had he seen the outcome of his first season he would have known.

Hence why Russel was so emotional at the first final. He knew he had no chance on the second and played the game to get to the end...but never win.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Too bad for Russell as he seems to be almost the best player ever...except he's missing the social element...because he is so focused and wound up during the game.

Coach nailed it...had he been a penatent man...he may have swayed some votes...but to get none...and have them reward failure...makes me question the game.

Parvati played another great game...what an absolute doll...

Rupert was a hoot when he blew a gasket on Russell...but he really shouldn't talk...in fact I was surprised he was classified as a hero in the first place.

Along with Russell...I would like to see the rules changed up a bit...with clear direction (like from a Judge in court) that the jury must vote for who they think played the game the best...instead of voting against someone.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Too bad for Russell as he seems to be almost the best player ever...except he's missing the social element...because he is so focused and wound up during the game.

Coach nailed it...had he been a penatent man...he may have swayed some votes...but to get none...and have them reward failure...makes me question the game.

Parvati played another great game...what an absolute doll...

Rupert was a hoot when he blew a gasket on Russell...but he really shouldn't talk...in fact I was surprised he was classified as a hero in the first place.

Along with Russell...I would like to see the rules changed up a bit...with clear direction (like from a Judge in court) that the jury must vote for who they think played the game the best...instead of voting against someone.
Again, though, "playing the game best" means being aware that the people you vote out have the final say. How you treat them is important. As Jeff keeps repeating week after week, "the power has shifted."

IF they do as Russell implied and have "America" vote, or having a "judge", then the game becomes JUST about who wins challenges. As Jeff implied last night, that's not what Survivor is all about. That's the beauty thing about Survivor that some of you are missing. There's a nice little twist to this game. You have to lie and deceive to get to the end, but you also have to be aware that the people you lie and deceive are the ones who will determine whether to give you a million dollars or not.

I agree that Russell was the best Strategy player. The best thinker. But as I've already said, he didn't realize that the game is not just about that.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
In the final episode, in one of Russell's private moments with the camera, he said that he knew he didn't win the last season. How is that possible? Did they take him out of the game to attend the final tribal council? I had thought that they filmed the two seasons back to back and didn't have the final tribal council until after the end of the second one.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I noticed that too. The only thing I can think of, is that he realized he lost after that season's tribal council. Russell went to the All Stars 21 days after the first season; the reunion was held "months" afterwards...so something is odd there.

The other interesting tidbit last night was when Colby said that the tribes were "quarantined" and werent' allowed to venture out much at all. Wonder why that was.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I still love Russell and if he wasn't playing the last couple of seasons I wouldn't of watched it. I was really surprised how these All-Stars still acted like babies and complained how Russell hurt their feelings and lied...REALLY? Survivor has been on for 20 seasons now and most of them have played 2-3 seasons and they still think it's personal? WOW! I honestly think Survivor is now a dud if people like Sandra keep winning. The best part of last night was how Russell still didn't care and didn't play nice...LOL....and when he said he was the fan favorite and all the contestants were shaking their heads and Sandra said he was delusional and then Jeff read out the winner of the fan favorite award...Priceless! I actually think Russell was happier winning the fan fav award by playing the way he did instead of playing a game like Sandra and winning

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I agree... players like Russell, who take the game seriously, make it fun to watch. Players that sit back, do nothing but hope they will sneak through are just plain boring. That being said, Russell could still use a few hints in the social aspect. There were many times where Russell came on strong for no benefit. Example - when Sandra played the hidden idol, Russell came down hard on her for doing so. What was the point? Who cares? Outcome the same. But by acting like every decision has to go through him and making others feel like his pawns, he simply alienates them towards him.

What I find so amusing,is how indignant the "losers" are towards players like Russell. Each one was very happy to shake his hand and collude with him if it would help them advance (even Rupert was, at one point, very happy to make an alliance with Russell and Colby).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Boston Rob made a great point about how Russell didn't play to win, but how he played to make it to the end

I was thinking about the final vote here and it occurred to me...

Survivor is about power and influence. You can make it to the final on power (obvious, from what Russell and Parvati have done), but you can't win on power alone because one is only in a position of influence for the final.

I was actually a bit surprised that Sandra won; I thought Poverty would have won as I thought that she played a dynamite game, physically, socially and strategically. As an audience though I we got more insight on her disagreements with Russell than anybody playing the game would (witness all the little spats they had nearer the end), and I think this hurt her in the final vote. Perhaps this helped Sandra too as she was quite open in her disdain for Russell.

One more note: Russell can't spell, or intentionally misspells, the names of others. Is it just me or is this a pretty fundamental mistake to make?

·
Registered
725 Posts
While I don't appreciate the way Sandra played to win more than I do the way Russell played to get to the end, I still wouldn't say Sandra doesn't deserve to win. Russell cannot blame anybody or the rules of the game but himself for sealing his own fate, both times around. There has been examples of past winners in Survivor and Big Brother who lied and deceived in the game but eventually convinced the juries to put those aside and vote for them as the best players. Russell failed in that department and that's why he didn't win either time.

That said, I do agree that the nature of the game has shifted. I would think that the original idea of Survivor was to put contestants in the most desperate situations such that they had to do anything in order to "survive". However, as we see in recent seasons, contestants don't seem to suffer any bit having thrown into a deserted corner in the world and many of them learn that the least they do the least they can do wrong.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The best part of last night was how Russell still didn't care and didn't play nice...LOL....and when he said he was the fan favorite and all the contestants were shaking their heads and Sandra said he was delusional and then Jeff read out the winner of the fan favorite award...Priceless!
Sandra emphasized in the "Early Show" that Russell was still wrong in thinking that "everybody" voted for him for fan fav award. She just enjoyed rubbing it in his face.

I actually think Russell was happier winning the fan fav award by playing the way he did instead of playing a game like Sandra and winning
That's what the guy suggested on the "Early Show", but then what else do you think a redneck like him would say after losing the 1-mil grand prize?

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_early_show/video/?pid=5tKSjVM3HcKhw8clA_OA2SJkoMWYoW06

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
^I don't follow the off the show stuff too closely but didn't they mention before that Russell already has millions from oil or something?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Russell's "flaw in the game" theory wears thin. That's the game. Deal with it. It's like a hockey team that outshoots their opponents 20-2 but loses 2-0 complaining that there's a flaw in the game and they should have won cause they were the better team.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts