Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/

The show will air on Sundays from 9-11pm ET/PT on NBC/Global

Donald Trump returns with "The Celebrity Apprentice" and an all-new celebrity lineup of candidates: David Cassidy, LaToya Jackson, Dionne Warwick, NeNe Leakes, Meat Loaf , Jose Canseco, Richard Hatch, Gary Busey, Lil Jon, Mark McGrath, Hope Dworacyk, Marlee Matlin, John Rich, Lisa Rinna, Niki Taylor, and Star Jones.

This is the fourth installment of "The Celebrity Apprentice" and the 11th season of the series.

Contestants will not be vying for a job with Donald Trump; instead, the business-savvy celebrity contestants will be working towards a greater goal as they raise money for their various charities throughout the season. Not only will the final winner be crowned The Celebrity Apprentice, but he or she will also have the honor of delivering a $250,000 bonus check to their designated charity.

All of the celebrities will be competing in business-driven tasks around New York City, using their fame along with their business acumen to win challenges, while ultimately raising money and awareness for their respective causes.

Just as in the regular "Apprentice," the celebrities will be subjected to long hours, grueling mental challenges, personality clashes, and intense scrutiny - all without the help of their regular support system of agents, managers, and personal assistants.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
So far so good... although it was sad to see
Cassidy reduced to such a whimpering mess,
but I guess part of winning in business is
how you handle blowhards.
Personally I thought
Hatch was mostly fine, especially considering being the first PM on team Sperm Farmers with all those egos woudn't be easy.

This episode does illustrate the weakness of the Celebrity Apprentice format. The results have absolutely nothing to do with the teams or their performance when it's only measured in cash. All it takes is one rich baseball player or one sugar daddy to make an unrealistic purchase and there goes the contest for that episode.

Some might say the raw dollar amount you can coerce from your colleagues is a good measuring stick, but honestly both teams have their millionaire friends for whom donations like these are meaningless.

I prefer when the task is judged on the innovation and execution of the players not the payers.

It also illustrates that a good 'reality' show can run two hours and not feel like it's being drawn out.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I am not pleased with the 2hr running format. We end up PVRing and watching the following day, so I have to avoid finding out what happened.

Richard Hatch is an egotiscal maniac. I watched the first Survivor. He won. Impressive, considering how hated he was. But I watched the next 10 Survivors, and it became clear to me the game itself was mostly a fluke. You might have a few skillful moments, but definitely many more lucky moments to win.

Now, every time he comes back to a reality show, he walks in like he has some special skillset made for the game. Check wikipedia for the list of shows he's lost at, including a return he made to Survivor All Stars. Plus he's a known cheat in life. Taxes, and even he smuggled matches to Survivor!!

As for the show, I think the charity aspect does have to trump the stuff about who's a better "manager". Looking back at winners like Bret Michaels and Joan Rivers, you can see what matters.

I do believe Canseco will fall apart. He's not very bright. Good to hear he's a hard worker, though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Apart from Niki Taylor (Hot !) and the Playmate (who was invisible) , the rest looked like tired has-beens.
The Country singer still has some life left in him,perhaps..

Gary Busey was trying to outdo Charlie Sheen..and almost won..:eek:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I am not pleased with the 2hr running format. We end up PVRing and watching the following day, so I have to avoid finding out what happened.
Doesn't make sense. If the show were truncated you'd still have to avoid finding out what happened. And let's be real, it's not like Celebrity Apprentice boots are being covered anywhere. Are they!?

Richard Hatch is an egotiscal maniac. I watched the first Survivor. He won. Impressive, considering how hated he was. But I watched the next 10 Survivors, and it became clear to me the game itself was mostly a fluke. You might have a few skillful moments, but definitely many more lucky moments to win.
He entered a game with no advance knowledge, no known rules, and he entered it with a killer strategy, a strategy he honed as the game went on.
Nobody else in his season was even playing, and he certainly set the mark.

As for the lucky moments of winning, deliberately losing and creating an air of non-competitiveness was one of the pillars of his strategy. It worked, and has been imitated dozens of times.

Now, every time he comes back to a reality show, he walks in like he has some special skillset made for the game.
I'd mostly agree, but remember every show he enters he is pretty much the king so they everyone plays to knock him off.

As for the show, I think the charity aspect does have to trump the stuff about who's a better "manager".
If you think the judging criteria should be based on raw amounts, why watch the show, or for that matter why even have the show? Just run a query and print out the net charitable donations of all celebrities for the previous tax year and fax the winner's certificate to Bill Gates or whoever.

I do believe Canseco will fall apart. He's not very bright. Good to hear he's a hard worker, though.
He seemed a little unnaturally angry, almost raging.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Not sure how to do that mutli-quote thing.

- The show runs from 9pm to 11pm. We don't want to stay up till 11pm to find out who gets kicked off. 10:30pm maybe, but this show should really just be 9pm to 10pm, imo. And you find out things the next day when you see a certain name as a trending topic on the Yahoo homepage. Or on the radio, the entertainment reporter blurts out the name. Happens a lot.

- Regarding managing vs money, Trump will make the decision to keep the better "players", so it doesn't matter who manages well or who raises a bunch of money. But in the end, he ends up choosing a "friend" like Joan Rivers or Bret Michaels. And I believe for Bret, Trump ended up giving an equivalent prize to the runner up (Holly Robinson?). After watching that final episode, I did wonder why I bothered to tune in. lol

- Canseco's twitch is tough to watch on tv.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
A more fair task last night. I'm shocked that men were able to create a better children's book than women. The presentation was much better but the book was too serious and hard to read (small font).

I thought Jose did a good job though he would have been off with a smaller role.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Not sure how to do that mutli-quote thing.

- The show runs from 9pm to 11pm. We don't want to stay up till 11pm to find out who gets kicked off. 10:30pm maybe, but this show should really just be 9pm to 10pm, imo.
Oh if that's the only issue, watch the earlier broadcast. Or tape it. Or whatever you need to. If the additional good content bothers you, close your eyes during it or fast forward.

And you find out things the next day when you see a certain name as a trending topic on the Yahoo homepage. Or on the radio, the entertainment reporter blurts out the name. Happens a lot.
I absorb a lot of pop culture in my daily duties, and sorry to say The Apprentice doesn't get a lot of press. Even Survivor, which is the grand daddy, you'd be hard pressed to see who got booted outside of GMA.

- Regarding managing vs money, Trump will make the decision to keep the better "players", so it doesn't matter who manages well or who raises a bunch of money. But in the end, he ends up choosing a "friend" like Joan Rivers or Bret Michaels. And I believe for Bret, Trump ended up giving an equivalent prize to the runner up (Holly Robinson?). After watching that final episode, I did wonder why I bothered to tune in. lol
Trump's decisions are totally arbitrary, and sometimes based on imaginary facts he determines himself and then confirms with his nodding headed consultants.

However you said that the charity aspect should be the sole deciding factor. I took that to mean you are saying the most funds raised = that week's winner. Was that the wrong interpretation, or are you changing your view?

I think the most money raised is a bad criteria raised when the doors are open to ridiculous donations that totally negate the event and competition.

I'd rather there be some structure, give the contestants (including celebrities) some constraints and see how they do. Give them a budget, a time limit, and a certain amount of pizza ingredients. Then see whose plan and execution allows them to make the most money selling pizzas on a level playing field.

As we saw with the pizza competition, the ladies can do a horrible job of the task, but one love(?) struck billionaire tosses some meaningless money down to impress his girl, and the competition is nullified. The women's great skill and accomplishment? Knowing a rich dude.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
That said...if The Donald can raise $170,000 for a charity in a single week...I'm all for the rich giving to the poor.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Each task should have a set "prize" amount and any money raised by the public should be the general public not some celebrity donation. These donations should either not be allowed or weighted differently.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
When I loaded up the Yahoo homepage yesterday, Lisa Rinna was the top trending topic. Now it could have meant anything, but I watched the show with her in mind.

I let my wife do the fast forwarding and I walk in and out of the room during the "competition". I sit down to see the presentations and board room.

And I think there's a good enough mixture of competition vs charity. In the first week, Richard Hatch's team lost. But it didn't matter. Trump booted Cassidy because he was the one least cut out for the game. If the women lost that week, I wouldn't be surprised if Lisa Rinna was booted out.

Trump still keeps around the best "players" of the game, along with the most popular. By the end, he'll pit the best player vs the most popular. In season 1, the best player won (Piers Morgan over Trace Adkins). Season 2 it was the popular player (Joan Rivers over Annie Duke). And in Season 3, he basically let both win, but officially chose the popular Bret Michaels over Holly Robinson.

It's a fairly predictable show, including at the end of each episode with the Trump kids telling dad "I agree with you." lol

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if Yahoo pages are customized different for different users?

My top trending 'celebrities' yesterday were Richard Hatch, Dionne Warwick and Rashida Jones... none of whom got booted. Lisa Rinna was no where to be seen.

Granted today it has The Bachelorette in the top 10 along with Aretha Franklin and Alyssa Milano. So you would have been spoiled on Bachelor results. Although I think The Bachelor shows are more of a mass appeal than Apprentice.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
My homepage is Yahoo Canada. At the top Wed morning at 8am is Alyssa Milano.

TRENDING NOW
Alyssa Milano
Kathy Griffin
McGill fined
Gilbert Gottfried
Justin Trudeau
Radiation exposu…
Glee
Richard Hatch
TSX
NHL concussion p…

Edit: And 1 min later...

TRENDING NOW
Bahrain martial …
London Olympics
NASA
Cricket World Cup
Ryan Phillippe
Alyssa Milano
Kathy Griffin
McGill fined
Gilbert Gottfried
Justin Trudeau

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yahoo's crummy home page aside, I think the point here is that I personally wouldn't support your wish to chop the content by more than half.

I say more than half because it's not just cutting the show from 120 to 60 minutes. The show layout includes opening, closing, recap, and some stock bumper footage. So a 1 hour episode might only allow for 20 program minutes of the competition, confessionals, and board room, whereas a 2 hr episode can allow for 60 minutes. That's triple the time and really exposes so much more of the details of the competition. I find it allows a lot more insight into how each contestant behaved and the key decisions and interactions that made one team win and the other lose.

In the 1 hour format I find they have to cut so much that it's hard to tell what really happened.

I think your best bet would be to add a time shift to your TV sub and then watch the earlier broadcast if the difference between 930 and 1000 is significant for you. Or just avoid Yahoo's less than compelling home page on Monday mornings! :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
We are kinda the opposite here Neild. We quit watching when it went to the 2 hour format. We are pretty much TV junkies, but can't keep up with all the shows we like, let alone 2hrs on this!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Since this was mentioned I've been scrutinizing Yahoo on Mondays. None of the Apprentice contestants - let alone the bootee's - have been appearing on the Yahoo trend spot. Maybe they stopped doing this?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I'm glad (and surprised) that the men are winning.

Next week seems to be an interesting episode.

I have no idea who the deaf woman is. She won an Oscar for something. Also, is the Jackson woman one of the normal Jacksons or one of the wackos?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I too am shocked about the men winning...especially with Jose among them...he may be able to hit a baseball but that man is really out there...(speaking to the exec's about aliens...yikes).

I have seen the deaf woman (Marlee Matlin) in several TV shows (ie West Wing, CSI, the L Word etc)...I can't remember seeing her in a movie though.

And James...are there really any "normal" Jackson's?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts