Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Last week the rocker nurse was decent for the first time. This week she needs to go home. Did she even know the words?

I see the so called favourite crashed and burnt. How can Mr. "Imagine" not be familiar with Lennon/McCartney tunes.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
It is unforgiveable at this point of the game to forget the lyrics of any song, let alone one by Lennon/McCartney.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes I stand corrected as well it is Kristy......She was awful last night but at least she remembered the words......She'll be gone tonight

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Well, I fell asleep half way through AI last night (I was watching on PVR an hour or so after it aired).

That being said, I read in todays paper who left.

A small surprise perhaps.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Can't believe Shyesha was in the bottom 3. She's musch better than the other 2 that was in the bottom 3.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Have to agree snoozeville...THey don't need a full hour to boot off some one.Not surprised who went was either him or Kristy....David A. should have been in the bottom 3 for forgeting his lyrics

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I think that kid is a phoney. I don't like his looks at all. My favorites are Brookes, Michael and Shyesha. The rest are bubble gum to me.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I like Michael as well but he's too old to win. If you're over 25 your odds of winning are slim.

If you're under 20 they're WAY better.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I can't stand half those boring McCartney songs. And they're going to do them next week, too. I still think it's great how in the first season, "real" musicians snickered at this show. And now even Paul McCartney wants in.

Oh, and Jim Carrey was sad. These guys must be embarassed when they're told how they have to push movies.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Yeah, well it's not just McCartney, it's the Lennon/McCartney songbook i.e.: Northern Songs, which means the estate of John Lennon (controlled by Yoko Ono) gave permission along with Paul McCartney to allow Michael Jackson (who owns the rights to the Lennon/McCartney songbook) to let the songs be used on Idol.

Apparently too, so did Harrisongs (George Harrison's songbook) so that "Something" could be covered by Katherine McPhee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"I can't stand half those boring McCartney songs"

You can't really be serious with that statement can you? Those "boring" Lennon/McCartney songs revolutionized music. I understand that you are probably young and the style doesn't appeal to you, but you should have been around in the early 1960's and heard what garbage was on the radio before the Beatles came along.

Even a lot of the classic 50's groups weren't widely accepted and played until the Beatles came on the scene. They were such a major infulence, that they blew open the music floodgates.

Put things in perspective here. It is 40+ years since a lot of those songs were written, and they are still popular today. Even if you don't like them, you have to give them credit for what they accomplished.

Why do you think American idol picked up the rights?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I said "half" the songs. Sure there are some classics, and even some "revolutionary" music if you will. But anyone who concedes that every song in anyone's "songbook" is the greatest thing since the piano, is giving a little too much credit where not so much is due.

Americon Idol picked up the rights because it's easy to sell. And of course anyone who's into music (Randy Jackson) is going to go on about how great those songs were. But notice, for a couple of those songs, the comments from the judges were actually that the "performance" was boring. Performance? They meant the song was boring.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
Why is this kid the so-called favourite?
He's popular cause he's cute? My Wife likes him but as far as talent goes, I'm with Simon on this one. The competition should be based on talent and not just popularity.

Who do you think goes home tonight? Ramiele seems to be my choice.

41 - 60 of 172 Posts