Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if I should have posted this under the Portable Electronics forum as this pertains to an iPod, but the issue I'm having could also easily apply to an iPhone or iPad.

This device is an approximately three year old iPod 4 running iOS 6.1.6. It is used on a daily basis by the kids and has never given a moment's trouble to anyone until the other day when it was somehow "mysteriously" signed out of iMessage. (The interrogation/investigation into this matter is still ongoing.)

Upon trying to re-sign into iMessage, I get an iMessage Activation error message which says, "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again."

I have tried every suggestion I could find on this topic and the end result of the above message appearing is always the same. Whatever is causing this is peculiar to this device as all other iOS devices in the household are functioning normally, including another iPod 4 running iOS 6.1.6.

What I have noticed is that when I try to sign back into iMessage, a Get Started screen rolls up and covers over the conversation threads and messages that are already on the device. They are obviously still there, but I just can't access them.

This has become extremely frustrating and I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion or trick that I haven't already tried for bypassing the Get Stated screen so that I can get iMessage back up and running normally again.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the very first thing I tried.

I did both a soft and a hard reset of the iPod and the issue still persists.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Oh ok. How about this

1) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On
2) Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically > On
3) Reboot device until Apple logo appears
4) Settings > Messages > Sign In

and

iOS 6 iMessage fix waiting for activation

Step 1: The most popular advice (that helped many users according to their reports) is to Reset Network Settings. To perform it just go to:

Settings => General => Reset => Reset Network Settings

If this didn’t help then move on.

Step 2: Make sure that your iPhone is connected to the Internet and verify if you using active Apple ID in:

Settings => Messages => Send & Receive

If you don’t have Apple ID then create it.

Step 2: Check if your date, time and time zone are set correctly and match to each other.

Step 3: Check if your email is verified in Settings => Messages => Receive At then turn iMessage Off and On.

Step 4: If you do all steps above and this doesn’t help you then try to repeat them after 24 hours.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also already tried the set date and time automatically suggestion previously and still nothing.

As for the iOS 6 iMessage fix waiting for activation suggestion, waiting for activation isn't the issue, but rather the issue is that I can't even re-sign in to iMessage in the first place to allow me to re-activate it after it having been signed in and working perfectly for over three years.

Interestingly, here's what else has developed since the device was kicked out of iMessage: I am now prompted for my Apple ID every time the device is turned off and on again. This had never occurred in the past.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed.

I had also tried the reset network settings suggestion prior to my original post, but what I was getting at was specifically in Step 3: Check if your email is verified in Settings => Messages => Receive At then turn iMessage Off and On.

No email addresses show up any longer since I cannot re-sign into iMessage.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to be clear, when you went into recovery mode did you first select Restore or Update? The key thing I'm looking for here is that when you choose Update, according to the Apple website, this does not erase your data and preserves your settings and content - which is exactly what I'm hoping to do. I'm hoping the Restore option is not one I'm going to have to utilize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts