Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else on Rogers having issues with IMDB not loading properly? Someone told me it was a Rogers related issue.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57, what do you mean by "Google related stuff"? Even if I type in the web address directly, I still get the same non-standard webpage. IMDB is owned by Amazon actually, and not Google, if that is what you meant. Or are you just stating Rogers also had other issues in the past?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, ok, thanks for the clarification.

Is any of this related to Rogers diverting traffic away from the standard response site when an invalid address is type in and onto their own response page?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imdb problems here

This just started last week and after trying a number of reboots etc., finally called Rogers. They said it was my router but when I connected directly, it still did not work. When I called Rogers again, they said to contact Imdb since it was a problem with their site. I've emailed them and doubt if I'll ever hear from them....

What is this about? Will this ever correct itself?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It's Rogers. Site loads fine on any PC not using Rogers as the Internet provider but not on my home PC which has a Rogers connection.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Looks fine for me on my PC with Rogers Ultimate but not so good on my iPad when I turn my Wifi radio off and try to load from Rogers 3G. When I turn wifi on with the iPad it looks fine, if I go back to 3G it is a text only site.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Will this ever correct itself?
No, people need to call and clearly communicate the issue to Rogers stating that:

1. This is recent
2. It's fine on other service providers
3. You have posted on a forum and others have confirmed that they also have the same issue on Rogers.
4. It is affecting different people differently depending on their equipment.
5. Offer to send them the link provided by Exid0r (only loads in text and slowly)

This may be difficult for them to track down, but if enough people call in, then they'll be able to fix the issue for all of us.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Sorry, it was silly of me to post a link to the same site people are having problems accessing. :eek:

If allowed, I can copy the explanation and workaround here.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I was able to see the site (text only), but I'll copy the info.

We understand and share your frustration, but please rest assured that at this point the problem is not at our end. As some users here have already correctly pointed out, the issue is that Rogers.com's own domain name servers appear to have incorrect data for some of our hosts and they have not yet updated it with the correct information.

In simplified terms: when you load pages from imdb.com, some of the content (such as images and graphic/layout information) is retrieved from other servers, specifically i.media-imdb.com and ia.media-imdb.com -- the information on where to actually access those servers (i.e. which IP addresses are meant to be accessed by your browser when you go 'i.media-imdb.com') is provided via a service called DNS (Domain Name System). Your browser sends a requests to these DNS servers and basically asks "Where is i.media-imdb.com?" and the DNS server replies to your browser "that server is located at 184.51.159.35, that's where you need to go" (this is of course a broad simplification: for more details about how the domain name system works, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System )

For some yet-undetermined reason, a few days ago this information within Rogers' DNS system has somehow become incorrect. When Rogers.com users try to access those servers, they are directed to the wrong IP addresses. The requested content is not there of course, so the page doesn't load correctly.

We have done all we can at our end to ensure that the information is accurate, and the problem appears to affect only Rogers.com's servers and, apparently, some Vodafone users in Europe. Nobody else seems to be affected. We're not sure why this information is incorrect within those DNS servers but we double-checked that the DNS data is correct at the source, and other servers are supposed to refresh this information periodically and frequently. For reasons that are outside of our control, Rogers'.com DNS is still using this outdated information. Until they update their DNS records, their users will continue experiencing this problem.

At this point, we recommend that Rogers.com customers contact their ISP's customer support and raise the issue with them, explaining the problem and pointing out that their DNS information for i.media-imdb.com and ia.media-imdb.com is incorrect and that they need to refresh/update their records. Repeated queries from internal customers rather than from an external entity (i.e. us) may lead to a faster resolution.

In the meantime, a workaround for the tech-savvy, as already suggested by some users here, is to configure your machine to use different/public DNS servers. Google offers free DNS servers and their information is correct and up-to-date. Instructions on how to configure your system to use Google's free DNS instead of Rogers.com's are listed here:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

As soon as we have an update, we will post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why not just change your DNS server settings and never have to deal with Rogers' crappy, unreliable DNS servers again? I changed my DNS settings years ago and have never had to deal with those very frequent issues.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just changed mine to the Google 8.8.8.8 DNS and it works great with IMDB.com
It took some time to figure it out with my D-LINK router (manual internet connection setup only).
Hope everyone does the same.
I figure Rogers hopes all their users change their DNS settings to others servers.;)

Homer

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers is really messed up. These DNS look-up problems happen with regularity.

From 2006 and 2007
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54669

The recommendations in that thread are still valid today. I use Google

Google Public DNS IP addresses
The Google Public DNS IP addresses are as follows:
You can use either number as your primary or secondary DNS server. You can specify both numbers, but do not specify one number as both primary and secondary.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this is Rogers' servers not being able to lookup the website addresses correctly using their DNS? How come they don't update thier services to the latest available pathways for all websites? How does that get done... automatically?

People are stating to use other certain DNS', including Verizon's... how come they don't have issues like Rogers does?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You need to ask Rogers that!

My guess is that it has something to do with the way they throttle their networks and use DPI that's causing issues but they would never admit to anything like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMDB DNS is really broken

I saw a post from Butch Cassidy on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000041/flat/179181497?p=5) today which had some interesting info on this entire problem, looking further into it myself, I think IMDB are telling a few porky pies, their DNS along with Amazons DNS is severely broken and this is most likely the cause

Check out for an example of their broken DNS

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport?domain=iwa.media-imdb.com&format=raw&loadresults=true&token=21a1c4f50a9f3e691127a81b0633c01a

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
IMDb is working again for me. I'm guessing:

- enough people complained, or
- IMDb's info got to Rogers, or
- Rogers figured it out for themselves.

I've always found them pretty responsive once you prove to them that they're the source of the problem (I've done that with Vancouver CTV, PBS issues, Fox issues, Rogers TV issues, etc.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts