Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Here is what I have and this is what I want to do:

2nd Floor (iMAC with Internet connection powered with direct Ethernet connection from Cable Modem)

I purchased an Airport Express with hopes of providing Internet to my Macbook on the main floor of my house.

The Airport Express can provide ITunes coverage. I have a Panasonic stereo with a decent set of speakers and a Music Port. I purchased the necessary Stereo to Stereo cord to go from the Airport Express into the Stereo.

Here's the question: seeing as the Airport Express will be plugged into a wall near the stereo, do I need an Ethernet connection in the Express? (or will it pick up the signal from the iMAC?)

Will it work?

I tried it and the unit keeps flashing amber. I was wondering if I set it up incorrectly.

Will the Home Sharing feature work?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Your Airport Express needs a wired connection to your cable modem (assuming that your cable modem doesn't have wireless built in). The Express will act as a wifi router for your iMac. Alternatively, you can buy a wireless router, have your iMac wired into there, and use wifi to communicate to the Express.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Airport Express needs a wired connection to your cable modem (assuming that your cable modem doesn't have wireless built in). The Express will act as a wifi router for your iMac. Alternatively, you can buy a wireless router, have your iMac wired into there, and use wifi to communicate to the Express.
Someone mentioned (on another forum) creating an AD-HOC network on the imac and then allowing the express to connect from there but I couldn't get it to work.

I guess my "ideal" setup would be to run cable from the basement, bring down the cable modem close to where the panasonic stereo is and connect the ethernet running now from the cable modem into the panasonic stereo.

or bypass all of this and just buy an ipod classic or touch and plug directly into stereo.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My Airport Express is connected by WiFi to my Airport Extreme base station.

I can use my iPhone (or you could use an iPod Touch)'s "Apple Remote" app to play anything from the iTunes library from whichever computer (my iMac, mine or my wife's laptops) I want through the Airport Express "AirPlay" (formerly AirTunes) capability.

Not sure if that helps you out - without you having to go buy an AEBS. However, it does show that the Airport Express can connect to a WiFi network without ethernet cable, and play music from other devices on the network out to receiver/speakers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Airport Express is connected by WiFi to my Airport Extreme base station.

I can use my iPhone (or you could use an iPod Touch)'s "Apple Remote" app to play anything from the iTunes library from whichever computer (my iMac, mine or my wife's laptops) I want through the Airport Express "AirPlay" (formerly AirTunes) capability.

Not sure if that helps you out - without you having to go buy an AEBS. However, it does show that the Airport Express can connect to a WiFi network without ethernet cable, and play music from other devices on the network out to receiver/speakers.
I could just have Rogers come by and have them fish up another Cable connection to the main floor. Plug the Express besides the stereo, plug in the Ethernet from the Cable Modem and voila....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts