Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just of out curiosity.. Aren't CBC HD and SRC HD supposed to be available for free, since they're public channels? Personally, I don't mind the 2.99.

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Not according to Videotron. I asked specifically if I did not pay the $3/month fee if I would lose all 11 HD channels I currently get (including CBC HD and SRC HD) and the answer was YES. I asked if it was ALL or NOTHING with respect to HD channels and the answer was YES again.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just subscribed to Vidéotron HD. The service will be connected on the evening of January 24, which is perfect since I'm still stuck with my non-HD ExpressVu service until February 9.

Vidéotron told me when I called that the HD Extra is canceled and instead I'll be paying $2.99 per month for all accessible HD channels. In my case it balances out since I only wanted a few of the channels in the HD Extra package and not all of them. And with all the other HD channels being immediately available if I subscribe to their SD counterparts, this solves a lot of programming issues.

BTW, my package is basic + 30 channels + Discovery HD. The 30 channel package includes free installation (normally $99) and a $30 programming credit in exchange for a one year commitment. The deal was more than reasonable considering for the same monthly price as my EVU subscription, I get the HD, I get to choose my own channels, and I'm not required to select any poorly organized "theme" packages anymore. I also have the option to alter the channel line-up up to once a month if needed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I though the letter was pretty clear. I was happy to get it and my wife actually told me I should and say something nice for a change. seems fair, I always complain when they mess up (99% of the time) why not praise when they do something good?

The letter even specified this would mean a $3 savings for me. Actually it will mean a $6 savings for me since I can now remove Rogers Sports and TSN. I don't watch those and was FORCED to add them in order to have the HD extra. Boy that had upset me!

All good for me :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The letter with the $3 savings was clear. It is the letter to those who do not currently pay for the HD Extra that is not clear. It states only that we will loose all HD channels unless we pay $3 more. It says nothing about getting more channels for my $3, only that I will LOOSE what I now get in my basic package!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Automated phone confirmation

Videotron just informed me that the automated phone confirmation of acceptance of the $2.99 did not always correctly record the callers acceptance, so they are now calling HD subscribers individually...maybe some of you might want to double check with tech support.

They also confirmed, for non-HDExtra subscribers, that all HD subscribed channels (except Discovery) would become available overnight between February 7th and 8th.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about the Sherbrooke area, what HD ?

I just wonder what we'll be getting in Sherbrooke for that extra $3. We only have 6 HD channels. We don't even have the option of HD Extra, nor TMN HD or Super Écran HD, it's unavailable right now. Luckily, I also have StarChoice to view HD channels on my new Sony Bravia 1080p KDL46V2500. Hopefully, Videotron will inform us somehow on their web site on what's upcoming. Videotron is usually late in providing such information.

I've been using bigoranget reliable database to get info in the past. But he's redesigning it. We appreciate your database bigoranget, please make it available again.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well, I can forget the subscription to Vidéotron. The guy never showed up. Or he showed up early enough for me to miss him by a couple of minutes. Called Vidéotron twice. The first time they said to wait until fifteen minutes after the end of the scheduled time to call back. I call back again and hit a condescending and arrogant CSR who pissed me off so much that I simply canceled the whole deal right there.

Now I'm stuck with a Pace 551 I can't use (a $200 loss + tax) and ExpressVu will be canceled on February 9 (canceled because no HD is available at my location and they have too many bad simsubs).

I'm really fed up with all of this. Prices are going up, quality of service is dropping like a rock, and regrettably this latest incident has pushed me to actually consider more radical alternatives. This isn't right! This isn't how it's suppose to happen! A corporation shouldn't poke their clients to the point they just give up in despair!

It's almost time to take out the rabbit ears until I can figure out how to deal with this predicament. On the bright side, I'll have $60 more per month in the bank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sherbrooke vs. increase

I live in Sherbrooke, Qc. and let me tell you that the HD package is less then minimal here.

right now, we have ABC, NBC, CBS, Radio-can, CBC and sportsnet

the HD extra is not available.

so now, I also received the letter informing me of the 2.99$ increase for HD

I called videotron to ask what new channel I will receive for this increase..0...none...zip...

She then proceed to tell me that this is actually a reduction from 5.99$ to 2.99$ with more channels available. I tried (and tried, and tried) to explain to her that the HD Extra in NOT AVAILABLE in Sherbrooke so there's no reduction of price , only an increase with no new channel (even the ones that are actually available in Montreal) which she finally confirmed to me but a few second later, came back with her speech about the great deal I have...

Tried to talk to someone higher with no success, left a message to call me back, no news from them...

So finally, not sure if Sherbrooke will get some new HD channels or not but I'm really starting to wonder if someone knows exactly what's going on over there.

so if someone knows anything about that, please let me know...

regards,

a videotron subscriber beginning to shop for Bell X'vue HD services

·
Registered
7 Posts
The new HD Network access fee has been added to my account, but the extra HD channels have yet to be activated. Anyone out there have the channels, yet?

-phil

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got the bill for the next month... no changes ...basic servie(12.99)digitaltv networkfee(2.99) A la carte 20 channels(21.99) HD Extra(5.99)

.... no idea what's going on...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I asked the VD customer service, and I was told that FOX HD is not included in US combo although I have US combo now. If I want it, I have to apply for More HD package. SUCKS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been trying to get an answer as to how the new pricing will affect me but folks at Videotron don't seem to understand the following situation:

-I was subscribed to 20 a la carte channels before getting HD.

-Once I got an HD terminal, I subscribed to the HD extra package. This resulted in my having to choose 2 additional SD channels in order to get the HD versions. There was no extra charge for this, since I was told that 2 of the HD channels in the Extra package included SD versions "free-of-charge." This meant that I now had 22 a la carte SD channels rather than 20.

-However, now that the HD extra package no longer really exists (i.e. whatever you have in SD, you get in HD - if an HD version exists - for a $2.99), I still have 22 SD channels, while only subscribed to a 20 channel package. Will I be charged for the 2 additional channels?

·
Registered
7 Posts
JohnInMontreal,

My guess is that your account will now be configured as having the a-la-carte 20 + two additional channels. So, unless you remove two channels, expect to start paying an additional $1.50 per extra channel.

You should be able to confirm this by logging into your account at www.videotron.ca.

-phil

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
FYI: I had to phone 877.380.2511 and get them to activate the extra HD channels even though I previously made a call to opt-in to the 3$ HD fee.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same here....the phone service didnt take...so I'm on the phone with them right now. I still have my current HD channels....but not any new ones (like City TV, Global etc..)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That phone number from a few posts earlier should read: 877.380.2511.

Anyway, I just spoke with customer service and was told that they're currently doing a rolling activation, and should have all the HD accounts up to date by the 10th.

-phil

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just let me explain you really simple.
Vidéotron doesn't offert anymore any kind of HD package. (Just for DiscoveryHD)
You simply have a 2.99 fee and you will need to have the SD channel to get the HD channel.

Just that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just let me explain you really simple.
Vidéotron doesn't offert anymore any kind of HD package. (Just for DiscoveryHD)
You simply have a 2.99 fee and you will need to have the SD channel to get the HD channel.

Just that!
mmmhmmm... that's why I still hace it on my next month bill...?

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
System, One issue that is confusing people is that the new pricing/service structure is not being implemented smoothly. For everyone else the new fee name is called the HD Network Access Fee in case anyone is looking for it online or in their bill.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts