Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I used this
Portta HDMI Converter HDMI to YPbPr RGB Component Plus R/L Audio Converter V1.3 Support [email protected] 2 Channel LPCM HDMI Audio Extractor for HDTV PS3 PS

Along with an HDMI splitter. Didn't work right without both but it's been working great. Was away at my in laws over the long weekend and they don't have a great cable package so used my slingbox with a chromecast I keep there from my phone and it worked like a charm!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I used this
Portta HDMI Converter HDMI to YPbPr RGB Component Plus R/L Audio Converter V1.3 Support [email protected] 2 Channel LPCM HDMI Audio Extractor for HDTV PS3 PS
I am occasionally using the same converter with my Hauppauge HD-PVR, when I want to record something. It works great with Rogers box, however I can't get it to work with my Amazon Fire Stick. Can't figure out why. It appears to strip HDCP from Rogers HDMI output without any problems, but doesn't do it with the Fire Stick. Are we possibly talking about different versions of HDCP?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's possibly an HDCP or EDID issue. The reason I needed the splitter for this is to get an edid, try using a splitter connecting both devices that could work as it would provide the fire stick an edid to work off of.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh yeah...I completely forgot that my Hauppauge HD-PVR does not support 1080p resolution. 1080i or 720p is fine. Fire Stick settings won't let me go to 1080i, but when I switched it to 720p, it's all good (for Hauppauge, that is). The converter was not the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used this

Along with an HDMI splitter. Didn't work right without both but it's been working great. Was away at my in laws over the long weekend and they don't have a great cable package so used my slingbox with a chromecast I keep there from my phone and it worked like a charm!
I just purchased this converter and it works. My HDMI splitter doesn't work that I bought, but this product does the composite conversion. Great solution for me if I am ever out of the country. Definitely the product to buy to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used this

Good afternoon, I hope someone will be able to give me step-by-step instructions; I am visually-impaired and would like to know the exact sequence; I have the Portta HDMI to YPBPR converter, and an HDMI splitter. The set-top box I have is from Videotron in Quebec but it is the same as the Ignite from Rogers. Do I run the HDMI out of this box to the converter or to the splitter? On the Slingbox 500, do I use the HDMI out and if yes, to the TV? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The way I'm configured is from the Ignite box to the splitter. From the splitter, I have one end going directly into the Slingbox and the other into the converter. I'm assuming you don't need it to the Slingbox from the splitter but that's how I have it configured and I know it works. The composite goes from the converter into the Slingbox as well. From there, simple HDMI from the Slingbox to the tv and it works both locally on the screen and on the Slingbox.

Also, from the Slingbox menu, make sure to set it up for Comcast X1 remote as it won't have the Videotron or Rogers option. It works the same just with Comcast Xfinity branding on it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The way I'm configured is from the Ignite box to the splitter. From the splitter, I have one end going directly into the Slingbox and the other into the converter. I'm assuming you don't need it to the Slingbox from the splitter but that's how I have it configured and I know it works. The composite goes from the converter into the Slingbox as well. From there, simple HDMI from the Slingbox to the tv and it works both locally on the screen and on the Slingbox.

Also, from the Slingbox menu, make sure to set it up for Comcast X1 remote as it won't have the Videotron or Rogers option. It works the same just with Comcast Xfinity branding on it.

Hope that helps!
Thanks very much for replying and sorry for the delay. My first attempt: it worked for about half-an-hour; I thought that my splitter was defective, got another one, after installing, it worked for a few hours, I was only able to use the up and down channel button and no access to the TV guide on the Sling Player app (both on Fire Stick and my iPhone). A day or two later, tried it again and now, I get the message week or no video signal… Any thoughts^ I am getting discouraged! Thanks again for any suggestions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
In terms of the guide and remote options, the guide is a bit of a pain but to access it you need to select the Xfinity button from the menu (I think it's in the last set of remote options but can't recall off the top of my head). From there you get the Rogers menu and you can select guide and either go up and down using the fire stick remote (although with the lag it's really annoying) or page up and down from the same menu you have the Xfinity button in. To access the button options, select the menu on the fire stick remote (the button next to home with the 3 lines) and from there you can go through the menus (one gives you the option to directly input channel numbers, another gives you page up/ down, channel up and down and of course the Xfinity button to access not only the guide but your saved shows and on demand and your apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) To be honest, I avoid the guide on there and just use the Ignite app on my phone to decided what I would like to watch and simply enter the number as it's faster and easier. If you don't have the Ignite app, you can use TVTV and just look up the area your box is in for channel guide.

As for why the picture is holding out and going away, you need to only use the input from Component and remove the HDMI input from the slingbox as I had this problem as well. The issue is the Slingbox always defaults to HDMI so the stripping of the HDCP may not be 100% but as long as you get a component picture you'll be fine and you can strictly use that so you won't disconnect cause I'm assuming the issue is it's going like blue or another color cause it's detecting HDCP and removing your picture. You can run HDMI from the Slingbox to the TV but I'd avoid it from the splitter to the slingbox.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts