Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

If you could only keep one, what would it be?

• Internet

Votes: 62 77.5%
  • Television includes Blu-ray, Cable and so on

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Smart or Wireless Phone

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you could only keep one, what would it be:

• Internet,
  • Television, or
  • Wireless Phone.
By television, I mean goodbye tv so no DVD, Blu-ray, Cable or OTA.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well of course internet, could still watch programs on it, and even movies with netflix, and also comunicate with email and even skype.
although a phone is handy for an emergency but I could run to my neighbour or even leave a wakie talkie there and tell them to hurry phone 911.
Internet is the most important for me Id be out of business without email.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TorontoColin, yes of course you can but it has to be a smartphone.

I really thought some people would select smartphone

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Well, if I had to choose only one, it'd be internet, but my computer would then have a very large monitor connected to it - basically what most people would call a "TV", so I'd be getting my content from the internet instead of a service provider, OTA or DVD/BD.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So not keeping television means not only loosing the physical television, but also all signals and mediums which are traditionally viewed on a television: DVD, Blueray and OTA television included (all of which can be viewed on a computer too) What about my XBOX 360, if I don't vote for television can I keep that? If this is the case I would certainly vote for television, I'd be giving up so much way too much otherwise. I could get by with a land line phone no problem. And I really only use the internet for email and general browsing. I could do that at work. Much of the time I spend at home is watching tv, movies and playing console video games. I watch a lot of sports in which Netflix and iTunes Store are not viable replacements to Cable and OTA.

Note that if the question was rephrased as "if you could only subscribe to one telecommunication service (cable/satellite, internet or wireless phone) what would it be" then I would most likely choose Internet.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I chose smartphone, because my smartphone can do all these things. It can make phone calls and SMS messages, as well as providing me access to the internet and youtube. I'm assuming for the sake of this exercise that I can't use my phone to tether my PC or stream Netflix or from my Slingbox, but even still my smartphone offers the most.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Tough one.

Web browsing on a smartphone sucks, so Internet trumps the phone.

However watching TV on a proper TV is better than watching TV on your computer, so TV kinda trumps internet.

And so on...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
At the apartment that my work provides for me, I do not have television (not even an antenna). I have Internet and a smartphone but could live with a regular cell phone. My Internet provides me with Netflix (on my Xbox), all the TV shows I want without any commercials (torrent downloads) and information.

·
Banned
320 Posts
TorontoColin, yes of course you can but it has to be a smartphone.

I really thought some people would select smartphone
I might have had you indicated that the Internet would be available on it, but the selection is between a smartphone and the Internet, so how were we to assume that the smartphone would be allowed a connection to the 'net?

Either way, I think I'd still pick Internet (laptops, desktops) because of the larger screen and physical keyboard/mouse. Never in a million years would I pick TV.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'd pick TV because of the lack of good quality sports streaming available online (both legal and illegal). I'd be lost without sports, especially NHL, NFL, MLB and EPL.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would pick Internet, because I would not be able to work from home without it. I can also get all of my movies/TV Shows I would want to watch from the internet. So does this mean I could still hook up my internet devices to my TV? Or does this count as the giving up TV option?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Internet.

Smartphones are less useful computers, so while they also provide internet access, the breadth of what I can do on a smartphone with a slow wireless data rate doesn't compare with what you can do on a PC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Internet.

More inexpensive than my other two services and I am much more entertained by it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts