Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
From their website, here is the history of why there isn't cable in Fort St. James (I assume the story in Logan Lake is similar):

In 1972 the Village of Fort St. James and immediate area "C" of the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako were served solely by two repeaters on Murray Ridge. Because of the transmission site, access was poor and there were frequent power failures. At that time, there was a proposal by Omineca Cable to supply cable TV to Fort St. James.
Quite a few of the area residents protested, as it was felt that a commercial cable supplier would cable the denser downtown core only, and leave most of the surrounding area without access. A group of concerned citizens got together and formed the original Fort St. James Television Society. They were successful in gathering support, including a plebiscite to charge a surtax on property for continued operational funding. Satellite receivers and a broadcast tower were set up and all residents received six channels of TV via a low powered broadcast system.
As for satellite, it can be difficult if not impossible to receive in mountainous terrain, especially on a north facing slope. OTA is the only way to ensure everyone has access.

I would assume TSN (along with the other cable channels) is charging the Fort St. James TV Society a bulk rate to have its signal broadcast with the fees paid for in the surtax.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Any idea why no Canadian Company uses any Subchannels ???
And, have you tried writing, calling your Canadian Companies to ask them to and /or to ask them why not??
If none of you Canadians ask or show interest in it to your Canadian owned companies, they will never know there is interest.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Part of the issue is that while many US channels are owned by broadcast companies who see a benefit in OTA, the Canadian channels are owned by cable companies who think that if we want more channels then subscribe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wheelman

·
Registered
32 Posts
CBC, as a public broadcaster, should make available the News Network as a sub-channel.

Edit: didn't realize that this was page 161 of the thread and it's probably been mentioned. My self-entitled stance still stands.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know were wasting our breath about sub channels here in Canada but I agree CBC should offer NewsWorld on one and they must have a crap load of retro stuff brand it as duh CBC Retro as another subchannel.

Also we get a CTV2 why not add CTV1 as a subchannel.??

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
badget said:
CBC, as a public broadcaster, should make available the News Network as a sub-channel.
I would say that BC's not-for-profit Knowledge Network, which has been available free of charge on cable TV and satellite, should also be available OTA if it is affordable, even if on a sub-channel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say that BC's not-for-profit Knowledge Network, which has been available free of charge on cable TV and satellite, should also be available OTA if it is affordable, even if on a sub-channel.
Knowledge Network as a sub-channel on CBC Vancouver sounds like a great idea! Perhaps the provincial government and Knowledge could split the costs? Knowledge would have to fund raise due to their limited budget.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What I'd like to see is a "use it or lose it" ruling for Broadcasters BEFORE the channel repack. BDU operated broadcasters act as a barrier to independents entering the marketplace, just like opening up the internet and cell phone business the broadcasters could stand to see some competition and their atrocious mismanagement of broadcast spectrum is ripe for the picking. They claim they don't make money but a look south of the border at small markets like Pittsburgh, Columbus etc says there is money to be made.

It's pretty pathetic that Canada's largest TV market which has a population that is ranked as the 4th largest metropolitian TV market in North America has fewer channels than a middling US market.

Either utilize the spectrum efficiently or lose it and be forced to channel share with any newcomer willing to play by the CRTC/Industry Canada's rules, I'm sure there are a few people like Google, Vice, Huffpo etc that would jump at the chance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There doesn't seem to be anyone on the industry side interested in pushing OTA in Canada. As many of you have said, we can't really look to our traditional networks to push for it. They're broadcasters by hobby. CTV, City and Global are directly owned/related to companies selling cable/satelite subscriptions. They only operate (an ever shrinking) OTA footprint through an inheritance from purchasing once independent companies. Even worse, our tax payer funded outlets, like TVO and CBC, have followed suit with transmitter shutdowns in a bid to save some pennies in their budgets. Independents and foreign companies have a hard time with the CRTC, who regulate which channels can exist, who can run them and how they operate. It's really disapointing the CRTC has been so apathetic towards OTA. We're in the midst of a growing base of consumers saying no to cable subscriptions and yes to OTT VOD. Instead of offering OTA as a compliment for network shows, some sports and local news, the CRTC is just willing to have those people drop out of the Canadian media space. However, I'm hopeful that we'll see some change in the bigger markets. We're getting to the point where an independent attempting to launch a new cable channel is the equivalent of trying to launch a new print outlet in 2017.

Yes TV runs a late night branded block of programming from Buzzr, a minor US DTV net that airs ancient game shows. I wonder if they'd be interested in operating a Canadian equivalent up here? I know the CRTC says they want "innovative" sub-channels, but with cable channel genre protection being dead, there's little reason to keep that mindset outside of wanting to dissuade OTA usage. I guess their issue would be supplying Cancon for that, since a church ministry isn't exactly going to have a library of relevant content.

We have a couple of companies with large libraries perfect for subchannel catalog usage. CBC has produced literal decades worth of material that isn't getting play. Same with DHX. That stuff isn't in rotation on their main channels and wouldn't find much of an audience on streaming platforms.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
OTA is a lost cause in Canada. It's 2020 and there are still NTSC broadcasts in many parts of Canada. In the past few years, some of the NTSC signals have shuttered due to the repack. I can only think of one re-broadcast transmitter that has switched to digital and that is CFTO-DT-21 out of Orillia.

I would not be surprised if Canada goes the way of Switzerland and abandons OTA entirely.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am aware that there are a number of digital re-broadcasters. What I was referring to is analog rebroadcasters that have switched to digital in the last few years.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts