Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, the worldwide smartphone market is forecast to grow 55% year over year in 2011 as a growing number of users turn in their feature phones for more advanced devices.

IDC predicts vendors will ship a total of 472 million smartphones in 2011 compared to roughly 305 million units shipped in 2010. That figure will nearly double to 982 million by the end of 2015.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IDC predicts that Android based smartphones will continue to be the top sellers from 2011 to 2015 increasing their estimated marketshare from 39% in 2011 to 43% in 2015. The firm also predicts sales smartphones based on Windows Mobile platform will increase by a whopping 82% per year increasing Microsofts market share from under 4% in 2011 to over 20% by 2015.

In IDC's vision of the future, Apple's iOS platform and RIM's BlackBerry platform are expected lose a small amount of market share during the 2011 through 2015.
I honestly can't believe this nonsense of Microsoft phones increasing sales 80% per year for the next five years.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Given that Nokia is one of the top (if not still the top) phone manufacturers globally, I could see this happen. This isn't to say I expect Windows Phone shipments to approach 20% in the US, but on a global scale it's possible. Thing is though, as we've seen countless times, predicting smartphone trends over 5 years is not the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I honestly can't believe this nonsense of Microsoft phones increasing sales 80% per year for the next five years.
I have marked your post in my calendar. Five years from now we will have the verdict.

I think MS phones will actually do better than that because Nokia can build some good solid phones inexpensiveily. Nokia smartphones may be dead here, but they do have many supporters in other parts of the world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts