Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Managed to catch up with season 2. What a nutty but terrific airline!

I learned of their existence a few years ago when I was checking out the history of the DC-3 and discovered they were still using it for commercial purposes. And after seeing the sheer hostility of the environment ("cold day in Hell" sums it up best), I can understand why they keep using those old birds even today. There's no way a modern plane could ever survive that amount of abuse and torture. They would just break under the cold alone!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Storing aviation fuel in drums is very common in Northern Canada.There are caches all over the Arctic.It's not like there are gas storage facilities in every Northern Community.

Flying with a door open is not a violation.How do you thing parachutists get out of an aircraft ?? And a few pounds of ashes spead over miles of Tundra isn't going to hurt the environment.

Transport Canada sometimes can be to aviation what the CRTC is to the broadcasting industry : Illogical and very frustrating !
I forgot about this thread....

I know all about fuel caches in the North, I have been to a fair number over the years here in the Arctic while flying in Beavers, Turbo Beavers, Twin Otters, Various size Cessna's and Heli's. However, never have I seen fuel used from a drum that was opened before let alone one that was used for something else previous. All the drums I have ever seen used were new with the seal on the bung and stored in a way the bung was below the fuel level in the drum.

As for the door open, it may not be a violation but I think an airline gets permission for parachutists. I just can't call up Joe Airline and say "Hey dude I want to jump out of you plane."

Maybe I'm just biased of the show because I live here. I felt the same way about the first IRT show filmed here. Too much drama to make it interesting.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Is the March 9 Show Still on?

All of a sudden the Ice Pilots Stanley Cup promo seems to have vanished from HT. Could there be some kind of rights issue between the NHL and History Television? The former are very fussy about their "brand". Has anyone seen the ad since the 18th? Hope the episode is still on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Arrgh . I missed the last episode. Must remember to set PVR .:eek:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Last night's episode had them landing with skis on a fast melting lake. I could imagine how easy it would be to tip forward or drag the back end.

Anyway, during the third ski landing I noticed in one set of frames a "chase" helicopter flying in the background. I don't think that was supposed to be on screen. An editorial mishap?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
They haven't had a continuing story line like the water bombers going to Turkey. Whatever happened to the one they found down south? I thought that would have been an interesting follow up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh yeah, speaking of water bombers, I'm confused. I thought they said they were the only water bombers they had, yet in the second season we see more of them. Could be they got more, but it just left me confused as they didn't even talk about it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Also missing this season are the almost soap opera stories of the rampies and their trials and tribulations as they attempt to get their first flights with Buffalo. In season 1 these stories were some of the most interesting and entertaining. I suspect that the rampies may have complained about they were being portrayed and so the show had to change their approach.

It's similar to Ice Road Truckers. The first season stressed the "dash for the cash" and the daredevil aspects of the job. In that case it was the diamond mining companies that complained and so the show switched to the Mackenzie Delta and the oil rigs.

In any case this week is the Stanley Cup episode. Should be fun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is the episode last week where they go to Oshkosh the season finale? If so, I definitely feel like the second season has been underwhelming. There wasn't as much a sense of excitement and adventure that the first had and had too many random bits that they never followed up on. But if one thing was a constant, it was the oil leaks and engine trouble. It seemed that every other episode had either an oil leak or engine trouble. The season as a whole felt rather, I dunno, disconnected? I kind of felt that they should have built up on the Oshkosh thing over several episodes a bit like the flight to Turkey since it was such a big thing for them. My favourite episodes this season is the one where they go to Venezuela and the episode where they turn one of the DC-3's into a Ski plane.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Arnie Schreder

Well, when they said goodbye to Arnie, I assumed that was the season finale. I don't know how much "drama" you could expect from a real operating venture. It is a documentary after all. They made reference to the Venezuela trip during the last episode that there were numerous "legal" issues to be worked out. The Elecktra purchase in the UK could be followed up.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Especially since I have a son working at Ekati am I able to get a sense of the weather conditions, both summer and winter. The company flies him in on a Canadian North 737-200, although that airline just purchased one of those 737-300's that Southwest just had trouble with. Yikes!! They have to have planes with a long wingspan for the temporary airstrips in the north. Last week, it took three trips from Yellowknife to get into the mine due to freezing fog.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I believe the "legal issues" with a plane in Venezuela are that there was no log book which more or less makes the plane only usefull for parts. The airforce doesn't use a "log book" because they have other ways to determine what and when it needs to be serviced and how many cycles(take-offs and landings) it had.

Canadian did not just buy one of the planes Southwest had trouble with. They have had the 737-300 for years. If fact, I sold my Buick GN to a guy that worked at Canadian serveral years ago and it was flown to Edmonton on the very same jet. :)

Anyway, Ice Pilots turned more into a drama rather than talk about the flight operations and the planes themselves. It turned into a soap story. Lame.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
There is only one 737-300 in service, in Canada.

from CBC.ca:

"Canadian North, an aboriginal-owned airline that flies mainly in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, announced on Jan. 31 that it has purchased the Boeing 737-300 to complement its existing fleet of 737-200 and de Havilland Dash 8 aircraft."

It has checked out OK with the latest inspection.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Interesting, They must have got rid of the one they had a few years ago and purchased another. Sometime ask your Son is there is a big cargo door on the front left side that runs from about around row 2 to row 7.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
AFF , you are confusing Canadian , and Canadian North. They are different airlines.

Canadian operated 4 (??) B737-300 under the "Attache'" brand in 1985.They were operated in a business class seating only.The brand was not profitable , and the aircraft were gone about year later.

Up til recently Canadian North only operated -200's , becuase they are the only B737 model certified and equipped for gravel ops.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Season 3?

Anyone heard if this series is being renewed for a third season? I'd like to know what happened to the Argentine deal and to the English potential acquisition.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I've read on an aviation forum that the Electra is in Canada,and another is also coming.

The CL-215 is still in South America. The aircraft had no maintenance logs or flight logs.

Season 3 is being filmed. :cool:

41 - 60 of 92 Posts