Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The show looks great in HD ! Lots of nice scenery of the North and, of course, the classic iron. I've recorded all the episodes and will enjoy watching them again soon.I hope season two is as good. :cool:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mikey and the director(?) of "Ice Pilots" were on the Noon Global BC News today and the anchor, Randene, announced that the show is now going to be on Global.
I watched tonight's episode and soon realized that it was an old episode that I had seen last season when the programme was on the History Channel.
It was in HD which is a plus but it was a bit of a disappointment in that they ran a repeat. I hope future episodes are not going to be old shows from last season!

·
Registered
706 Posts
agreed, nice thing is that it is in HD

Saw Mikey the other night and was talking to him, he was just on his way to Vancouver to start doing edits for season 2!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did Ice Pilots start on 5th Jan ?? I thought 12 Jan is the second Season opener ??

I'm looking forward to watching this show again..

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
NOTE FOR BELL SUBS:

Even though the description lists tonight's ep as the Season 2 premiere, the date is last year. Therefore, your PVR thinks it is not a new episode. Adjust timers accordingly...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
This is the third show I've spotted where Bell's PVR gives the original air date as 2010 when in fact it is 2011. Hope this isn't a trend.

As for Ice Pilots and Ice Road Truckers. I like them both for the same reason. They're about ordinary people doing their unglamorous jobs and doing them well. As a record of life in the early part of the 21st century these series are going to be a gold mine to future anthropologists/historians/social scientists.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What kind of turns me off of those shows is all the violations they commit and don't get busted for it. If I filmed myself committing a crime and put it on youtube for example there are very good chances I would be busted for it. Why do they get off scott free?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What violations ?? I've worked in aviation for over 30 years.
Transport Canada inspectors can be difficult to deal with.Ask ten of them a question,and you'll likely get ten different answers.
OTOH , I'm sure Buffalo Joe may have bent a few rules over the years too.;)

You can bet TC is closely watching the shows for irregularities.
And Buffalo has carefully checked all the video for anything questionable..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, with ice road truckers they were firing a 22 cal handgun out the window while driving.

With Ice Pilots,
1.There was an ep. where they are running around looking for tanks to pour AV gas into on thier lot. ie. old fuel tanks, an old airplane tank, etc. there has to be safety regulations against that.
2. Flying with the door open while dumping human remains. I'm sure that 2 violations at once.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Storing aviation fuel in drums is very common in Northern Canada.There are caches all over the Arctic.It's not like there are gas storage facilities in every Northern Community.

Flying with a door open is not a violation.How do you thing parachutists get out of an aircraft ?? And a few pounds of ashes spead over miles of Tundra isn't going to hurt the environment.

Transport Canada sometimes can be to aviation what the CRTC is to the broadcasting industry : Illogical and very frustrating !

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Good articles in weekend papers

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/921592--canada-warms-to-ice-pilots

This season, the gang flies one of their DC-3s down to Oshkosh, Wisc., for an air show celebrating the 75th anniversary of the famed Douglas aircraft. Even though the series does not air yet in the States, they were treated like rock stars, with prop heads from across North America and beyond marvelling at a real, working DC-3 that was not just another hobby plane.
Gullison says the episode is a hoot, with Buffalo Joe loading son Mikey, daughter Kathy, Scotty, Justin and the rest of the gang into the plane the way most families would fill a station wagon on a summer vacation. Buffalo Air is a trip, and so is Ice Pilots NWT.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Chuck, the mechanic, is a real asset to the company. The experienced pilot and another fellow believed that the heat exchanger could not fit into the plane using their computer graphs but Chuck's gut knew better!
Although I like Audrey, I would be a little P.O.ed that after been away for several months she appears to be getting preferential treatment from Joe upon her return.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Makes a good story line

Did I understand that there will be an episode in March involving the Stanley Cup?
Yep! Early March although I'm not sure of the exact date. Check almost any History Television program. They're really flogging this episode during almost every ad break. It seems Buffalo Air got the contract to fly the Cup around to several northern towns. Should be a fun episode but I hope that the producers add some explanation of why the Cup is so important (in the previews you see Mikey practically hugging it) for the edification of viewers who live in countries/places where hockey is not a big thing.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts